Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experience a dead battery in the cold weather? I got home from work today to find my wife hooking up a set of jumper cables to our car. She said she turned the key over and nothing happened. I wish I had been there to see just "what" happened. Whether the dome lights/headlights were dim, that sort of thing. But once the cables were hooked up to another car the car immediately started. I shut if off after one minute and it started back up perfect. I pulled out my volt meter and tested the battery voltage, 14.5 volts on the battery terminals, and with the car shut off 13.5 volts. It appears the voltage is correct. One more test I will do in a while is test the voltage drop as the car is turning over. Then my wife informed me the other day the car didnt
"start the first time, but did the second", whatever that means. It almost sounds to me like there may be something else. Its been pretty cold here lately, -20's below and the car started fine. It started fine yesterday, which was just as cold as it was this morning. Any ideas before I call the dealer tomorrow?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Check your positive and negative battery connection cables, sometimes they get loose, make sure there tight and no corrosion

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:
I wanted the car to sit and cool for a few hours, which I did. We went out to start it again. But this time I put my volt meter across the battery terminals to watch for voltage drop as the car turns over. I know that anything under 9.5 volts as the car is turning over, means the battery isnt providing enough power and it most likely shot.

What happened was, as she turned the key over, there was just one single "click" under the battery and the car wouldnt turn over. The voltage drop was 11.?? volts, which is acceptable when trying to start a vehicle. She tried once again to start the car and the same thing, one single click, under the battery. Which I figure is where the starter/solenoid must be located. After 3 or 4 individual clicks, the car turned over. It turned over for about 7-10 seconds before the car actually started up. Its looking like the starter or solenoid is whats giving us trouble. I think the car may have been a bit flooded by trying to start it a few times and thats why it turned over as long as it did. I'll know more tomorrow when I contact the dealer.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Trying to light off gasoline at -20 is likely going to be a chore.. you living in an extreme end of operation parameters.. Starter solenoid likely having a fit with steel parts being rather frozen.

Cranking voltage needs to be around 10.5 volt minimun, otherwise we do not have sufficient electric to turn on the various modules and make things go.. ran into that with a YF Sonata that crank like nobody business with 9 volt while cranking,, it would not light a fire.. neighbor touch second lead of jump box to battery while I was cranking, and engine lit up

·
Registered
952 Posts
Also low battery voltage can cause other things to stop working or malfunction even after bring battery up to full voltage.

When my Elantra had a dead battery I also have a problem with my passenger seat airbag light would deactivate and the air bag light in the drivers dash would come on. Dealer had to clear all the low voltage codes out and reprogram the seat switch.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
If it means anything, I did replace my battery. I had a couple slow cranks and the somewhat dimmer lights was a giveaway. Rather than waiting for something to happen, I replaced the battery. I passed my battery to a friend which did indeed fail.

Charging voltage good. New battery and problem free.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
If you're routinely parking outside in -20ºF conditions, I'd invest in an engine block heater.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
this morning it's -13F and my car started up perfectly but it was plugged, my wife just emailed me at work to tell me her 2004 Accent did not start this morning, she doesn't have a block heater, but the battery is only one year old. Strange.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is also a battery blanket mine is 85w around 30$ at canadian tire. It heats the battery to around 50F plenty of cranking power available .

I put a splitter with the block heater and put those 2 on a timer, about 3 hours does it for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lmao... I was thinking the same thing. She would probably be looking for a place to insert a key to open her hood :D

Sent from my SCH-I535
When I met my wife she was driving a car that she built. Early 70s Camaro with an LT1 dropped in, racing cam, six pack, Edelbrock intake, headers, Hurst shifter, and a nitrous kit. :)

·
22,788 Posts
When I met my wife she was driving a car that she built. Early 70s Camaro with an LT1 dropped in, racing cam, six pack, Edelbrock intake, headers, Hurst shifter, and a nitrous kit. :)
The PERFECT woman, IMO. But, almost as important, can she cook? Brew homemade beer? Mow, wash, vacuum, stuff like that? :grin:

·
22,788 Posts
LMAO!!!! ^ Humor Post of the Day! ^ :trophy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts