Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an interesting situation today with the battery going dead in my key fob. Had I not been reading this forum (I know, it's in the manual) I would have been SOL. Went grocery shopping and when I went to put groceries in trunk, wouldn't open. I attempted to open driver's side door to release trunk lock...nothing. Used the pull-out key in the fob, then plugged the fob in the receptacle in the arm rest and everything started up. This fob had been in use since new (purchased car 2/2010). Guess 4 yrs. is not bad on the battery. Anyway, a big thanks for having threads like this on the forum. I guess the alternative is RYFM.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had an interesting situation today with the battery going dead in my key fob. Had I not been reading this forum (I know, it's in the manual) I would have been SOL. Went grocery shopping and when I went to put groceries in trunk, wouldn't open. I attempted to open driver's side door to release trunk lock...nothing. Used the pull-out key in the fob, then plugged the fob in the receptacle in the arm rest and everything started up. This fob had been in use since new (purchased car 2/2010). Guess 4 yrs. is not bad on the battery. Anyway, a big thanks for having threads like this on the forum. I guess the alternative is RYFM.
wait, there's a place to put a key in? since when... where is it located?

·
Registered
186 Posts
So, your car came with TWO fobs, right? If the kids were along, I assume the spouse was along (with the spare keys, maybe)?

Changing batteries is easy.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
This fob had been in use since new (purchased car 2/2010).

Wow. Was that like the third or fourth one built!! Four years is pretty good.

I keep 2032 batteries around as so many remotes take them. Might replace the Sonata one soon.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm 76, no kids along and I was grocery shopping without my wife. Simple to replace battery, but I just took it to Batteries Plus and it took 2 minutes and seven bucks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I'm 76, no kids along and I was grocery shopping without my wife. Simple to replace battery, but I just took it to Batteries Plus and it took 2 minutes and seven bucks.
2032 can be had a Wal-Mart for something like $5 for a pair

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, you might get 25 for $6.00, but when your old stiff fingers open the fob and that little spring goes "zzzing" into the next room, you might think $7.00 is not a bad price to pay. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Yeah, you might get 25 for $6.00, but when your old stiff fingers open the fob and that little spring goes "zzzing" into the next room, you might think $7.00 is not a bad price to pay. Just my opinion.
I had to lol at this. I even made the zzzing noise too when I read it. I to have been sabotaged by hidden springs. Except after zing there would have been an "Awww what the.....*ahem*"

:D

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Its about time for my 3rd replacement battery in my fob. Its so easy to replace--just use the blade to open the two halves and swap batteries.

On a side note....Mama let her fob slip out of her purse and fall in the driveway. It must have been warm when it fell into the snow because when I found it the next day, it was frozen to the pile!

Chiseled it out and knocked off the ice to see if it still worked. To my (fake) surprise, it was dead as a doornail. Or so I thought. Unlocked the car with my fob (which stays in my pocket) and slipped her frozen one into the center console slot.

Car started right up as expected so I figured just needed a battery replacement. So I powered the car off and headed back to her car to go get said battery. On a whim, I hit the lock button on the formerly frozen fob and the car locked! Stunned, I then hit the unlock and trunk buttons, which also worked!

So either the console recharged the battery (not likely) or the Sonata's prox key system has some really weird security that knows when the fob is lost (probably less likely). Or my luck is just really that strange.

Either way, another reason that I absolutely love my Red Sled!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Up here in the Great White North, very few batteries do!

·
22,793 Posts
I guess the alternative is RYFM.
If I had a dollar for every time a senior forum member has suggested this to a new member...:wink2: It illustrates how much we have come to depend upon others for assistance. And I'm probably as guilty as anyone else. But, I DID read my manual. Twice!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts