Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has knee problems and we have been driving the Santa Fe carrying our electric GoGo cart. So the HSH has been sitting idle for long periods of time and only goes on short city trips. I jump started the car about 4 days ago and it immediately fired up. Took it for a 7 mile drive to charge the battery and then was going to drive it today but was dead again. Repeated the charging trip and about 2 hours later we were going to go somewhere and it was dead. Taking it into the dealer soon and have them put it on a long charge.

That big battery had a 1/2 charge on it when I started the car so I guess the only way to charge the 12V is by the ICE. The problem with this car is that the ICE doesn't stay on long enough to charge the battery very well. Any ideas as to bypass the EV and keep the ICE going? :confused:

·
Registered
504 Posts
i remember car tech dude, said 12v battery charges off hv battery, have dealer check charging sys, having ac on will keep ice running longer, if not most of the time.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i remember car tech dude, said 12v battery charges off hv battery, have dealer check charging sys, having ac on will keep ice running longer, if not most of the time.
Thanks, this is what The Dude said

"The HSG (high speed generator) is turned by the engine in opposite mode to when HSG is energized by the 270V to crank engine on start.

HEV 270V battery SOC has to maintain a certain minimum level as the car always launches in EV motor mode.

The 270V also operates the electric AC Compressor so that is more what is probably consuming your battery down when parked. It should not cycle ICE on so regular after the update assuming you are not at a prolonged state of stopped condition.

12V battery runs everything else inside the car but the 270V charges the 12V battery all the time as there is no alternator.

We drove Vegas strip loop in summer A/C on full load with normal stop go traffic the ICE hardly came on at stops this was significant gain in FE in this type of Urban driving."

So it must be the charging system to the 12V battery as all accessories were dead and had to use the key to open the door and trunk. Once I had it connected to the jump car the Start light came on and fired up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Im pretty sure if you want to keep the ICE on all you have to do is turn on the AC and shut off the ECONO button. The AC runs off the lipo pack in economy mode but in "non economy" I believe the ICE stays on.

·
Registered
504 Posts
so if your hv batt was on half, and 12v was dead i'd look for faults in charging sys. dead 12v batt might just be a consiquence, not the reason. in any case, let dealer sort this out, you got warranty,
or, have you been sitting in the car with radio on, or other acc. in acc mode, where ice would not start to charge 12v batt? cuz those batts if discharged over certain point would not take charge after, those are not deeep cycle batteries.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Over my lunch period I drove my 2011 HSH with AC On, Econo Off and the ICE toggled On and Off as normal.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 12V is a calcium based battery. Does anyone else know anything about this? It sounds strange to me but that's what I remember.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't believe it would be very efficient to run 12V accessories off the 270V hybrid battery. The voltage step down device would waste a lot of energy just to provide a little current for the dome lights, for example. Then there would be the problem of transient voltage spikes damaging 12V accessories if the 12V battery were not present to buffer the current flow.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you turn the blue drive off using the switch on the steering wheel doesn't it put you in the ICE only mode ??
No, it still cycles between EV and ICE

·
Registered
53 Posts
No, it still cycles between EV and ICE
Ya, I drove to the store last night after my post, a couple of miles only, and tried turning the blue drive off, and you're right, the EV mode still came on several times!!
Gonna read up on that a little more on our trip to N.C. today (while my wife drives), but I did find that with the A/C on, economy and blue drive off, the ICE did seem to run more often then usual!! Dunno if it would be enough to charge the 12V or not, and seems like there are other factors now that we find there is NO alternator in this thing !!
Good to know stuff though, I'm sure we are ALL gonna kill a 12V a few times in our HSH journey!! Guessing WHEN it happens to me, I'll try a 2 amp external charge overnight and see what happens!!:confused:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm fairly certain the starter battery is a standard lead acid type.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The battery was able to take a slow overnight charge but haven't picked it up from the service dept yet. I got to thinking that my fish finder shows the battery charge and there should be something for the car.

I got this on order at EBay for less than $20

Equus 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor | eBay

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got a call from service dept and they found out that when a hybrid has a problem with the 12V battery they are supposed to open a ticket with Hyundai and get their pros involved in the solution. They offered me a free loaner but we declined, but if I got one I should ask for this Equus

·
Registered
537 Posts
This happened to me last Fall, Tom. It was raining when I got to work and accidentally left the car without pushing the stop button, so the car was running all day. Nine hours later I returned to my car with a dead battery and no gas. After getting some gas in the tank and a jump start, the car would run, go to idle and than die again. What I had to do was force the ICE to stay on by keeping the gas pedal pressed down while in Park. I did this for 20 minutes, then left work and drove my usual 55 miles home. The car was fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check out this link for a quick explanation of the different auto batteries available today and the need for the calcium type to have a higher charging voltage.
CAR BATTERIES ARE NOT 12 VOLTS

More info is available online by googling calcium auto battery or hybrid battery which often means lead/calcium lead/antimony 12V battery, and not a hybrid car traction battery.

Also, lead/calcium batteries are less resistant to being over-discharged.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The battery was able to take a slow overnight charge but haven't picked it up from the service dept yet. I got to thinking that my fish finder shows the battery charge and there should be something for the car.

I got this on order at EBay for less than $20

Equus 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor | eBay
The service dept didn't find any problem and after 2 days and 30 miles later the Equus 3721 is showing 11.97V. At least we got a free car wash and I had more room in the garage for a few days.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts