Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if you guys already know...

When you press the traction control button once, it de-activates the traction control and leave the stability conttol active

BUT

When you press the traction control for ~ 5 secondes
It de-activates the traction control AND the stability control.
So you can have some fun in the parking lot and of course on a closed circuit ;-) lol

Maybe everyone knows it but I just discovered it lol

·
Registered
759 Posts
I didn't know that !!!
Since I had picked up my SFS last February, and on a day that we got quite a bit of snow - I didn't really want to take my 1 day old/new car out for some "snow fun".
But this winter... I wanted to see how it handles on snowy roads, and what it reacts like.
I took out in a big parking lot - and tried it with the traction on and off (but not totally off like you just said).

The one thing I didn't like last year, was that in deeper snow when it lost traction, it would take away your acceleration - not allowing you to plow through it. This is what my Jeep would allow you to do, meanwhile keeping the AWD going all the time.
So two nights ago, this is what I realized the traction control button did - give you your acceleration, while keeping the AWD still active - no more "stalling" in heavy snow...

Thanks for this tip - I'll have to keep that in mind over the next few days. We got 20 cm of snow this week, there are still some spots that haven't been plowed.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good info. This cut in acceleration is how most manufacturers have been addressing traction control features. It is truly detrimental when you need that consistent power, such as going up a snow-covered hill. I've been burned before by that. I would rather get up the hill with spinning tires than stall out halfway up. Great idea, poor execution. Thanks for the tip on this trick!

·
Registered
169 Posts
We had 1 day of about 1cm of snow so far in Vancouver BC. :( If we get any snow it will be January, and thats only a maybe. Not uncommon to see nothing or next to nothing for snow here.

·
Registered
759 Posts
CHALLENGE COMPLETED!! We got a fresh coating of 2-3cm tonight.... Went out, turned it fully off, and whoa, let 'ear rip! There isn't a huge difference between turning off just the traction, versus traction and stability, but it's noticeable.

After a 3 min drive home from that parking lot, still smelt the burning rubber... In snow! Hahaha.

·
2,258 Posts
great find. i hate all of these systems. when sliding, or in a sticky situation i like having power to the wheels to help drift the car out of a nasty slide. i dont like not having full control of the car.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I thought you all read this in the manual, oh well. It can be done on the Genesis Coupe and the Fe's only at this time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts