Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I've been away from mods for a while but decided to get back in and purchased a 6000K 35W DDM Tuning HID kit for my Elantra.
On the website there are PDF instructions which state clearly that H11 bulbs usually do not require drilling into the low beam cover or even the removal of the headlights.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case for the 2013 Elantra GL?
That would be awesome if I could bypass those 2 steps.
Here's the link to the PDF instructions.
H8 / H9 / H11 HID Bulb Install Guide - Help Desk Software powered by DDM Tuning

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
If the 2013 GT lights are the same housing as the 2011/2012 Elantra, then you will have to remove the lights for sure. It's not a big job at all (2 bolts and a swift pull up and out). Removing the lights also will give you some more room to run the wiring harnesses cleanly.

The guide in the link you provided is based on a 2008 Toyota Scion TC.

After you remove the light housings, you will find the dust cap for the low beam bulb. You will need to remove this dust cap and drill a hole about 3/4" wide into the cap. It only needs to be wide enough to fit the new wiring harness connector through. The new HID bulbs will come with a rubber grommet to seal up the drilled hole.

I've seen other people put a notch into the dust cap cover to feed the wires but because you have to twist it closed, I opted for the hole.

I've been running my lights now for almost 2 years through winters and I have not had any issues with dust or moisture in my light housings with the drilled and plugged dust caps.

There's a good video on youtube under Hyundai Elantra HID - How to install. It shows all the steps including the light removal and cap drilling.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts