Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me state I did not see this proble listed in any other thread so I am starting a new one.

I have a 11 2.0t Limited (with auto headlight)
I purchase from DDM, 1 H7 55w slim Ballast kit 6k bulbs, I ordered a harness kit and a error code eliminator. I also purchased a H8 55w Slim Ballast kit 6k Bulbs for my fog lights, and another harness kit.

When the ballasts are COLD (not used for a while) the low beams come on and then go off. I have to turn the switch on an off several time before they stay on. The fogs work perfectly never an issue. I have already tried the following to diagnose the problem. Removed the error code eliminators, swapped the ballasts from the fog lights, swapped the harness from the fog lights, changed the relay, bumped the fuse to a 30 amp< everything had no change and the problem was still there. I then moved the low beam bulbs (H7) to run off the fog light and they seem to work fine. The tech at DDM says this kit is not compatible with my car? wtf, How can this be I explained to him a belong to this forum and tons of people use this kit on their 11 Sonata and have no issues. theoretically speaking he is correct. They only thing that remained in the circuit that hasn't been swapped out was the trigger switch. But how can that be the switch only triggers the relay? Should I switch over to another manufacture other than DDM?? I just quit smoking last Saturday (and if you have ever been down this road you know what I am talking about) and I am ready to kill someone. HELP!!! I need a suggestion!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
aww F-it I am ordering new kits from HIDextra.com. I have such little patience.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
i must of missed this last night, thus the phone call lol.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Dec 6 2010, 08:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377300
When you order your HID kit you have to specify the bulb "type".

For the low beams, he ordered the bulb type H7. -- HID
For the fogs he ordered bulb type H8. -- HID
For the high beams he ordered H11 LED bulbs. NOT HID
ok, gotcha.. why would you buy different ones for the fogs and lows? arent they gonna be a different color? also am i wrong by assuming there are no hid's for high beams thus why he got non hid's? whenn you use the highbeams wont that show a diff color also?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (BiGMERF @ Dec 6 2010, 09:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377310
ok, gotcha.. why would you buy different ones for the fogs and lows? arent they gonna be a different color? also am i wrong by assuming there are no hid's for high beams thus why he got non hid's? whenn you use the highbeams wont that show a diff color also?

Size is the primary reason. Bulb length and base configuration makes up a "size/type". The lows are H7 and will not fit and H8 base and vice versus.;

K range will give you your color. You need a ballast "per light" and they are sold in a kit as a pair of lamp assemblies. So each burner will have its own ballast and color range that you purchased. So if you purchased 4300 for the H7 lows, then both sides will be the same color. If you purchased 3K fogs, then each fog will be 3K but a different color than the 4300 H7 lows.

The current Sonata has no HIDs. Most people put in HID for low beams and leave the high alone as its used for DRL in the even of no lights being on. Thats why you see most just use LED to get a certain look.

Make sense?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (BiGMERF @ Dec 6 2010, 12:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377349
Thank you bearcat for the clarity.. when you put led's into the drl's doesnt that eliminate the hb?
In essence, yes. The LED replacement will only give off so many candles of light. Typically those that are replacing the HB with LEDS are going for a "look" versus functionality. If you dont need HB all that often then I dont see a reason you cant go LED in the HB. However due to my night blindness I am a person that will have to stick with functionality.

There are "some" LEDs used in high end vehicles but are not easily or readily or affordable to the average person.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (BiGMERF @ Dec 6 2010, 12:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377366
i hear that, i mean i dont need the HB's to much but like for instance i am taking a trip to nyc next week and i am sure I will need them on certain parts of 95 in portions of the states that do not illuminate the higways. I just hate the fact that it will look retarded when i do use them.. lol
If you need HB you most likely wont want LEDs. I just leave my lights on all the time. The supposed bulb life versus people seeing my car easily offsets itself.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (BiGMERF @ Dec 6 2010, 03:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377403
I went into a well know shop here in orlando today and the guy (who says he has done 4 sonatas already), anyway he said that compared to hondas, toyotas, etc that the 2011 sonatas put out way less voltage and that i will need something else besides the ballast, he showed me but forgot the name. true?
I dont think that there is much truth to that. However without knowing what he said to add its hard to say. Sometimes what needs to be added is correct but the reason behind it can be flawed.

A 12v system is a 12v system as far as matter of primary power.

find out what he said and let us know.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (BiGMERF @ Dec 6 2010, 03:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377403
I went into a well know shop here in orlando today and the guy (who says he has done 4 sonatas already), anyway he said that compared to hondas, toyotas, etc that the 2011 sonatas put out way less voltage and that i will need something else besides the ballast, he showed me but forgot the name. true?
OK they could not put out less voltage, But they could put out less amperage and it might not be enough to power up the ballasts. Therefor you will need to add a relay to boost the amperage to the Ballasts. That sound a little more like it.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Dec 6 2010, 04:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377412
OK they could not put out less voltage, But they could put out less amperage and it might not be enough to power up the ballasts. Therefor you will need to add a relay to boost the amperage to the Ballasts. That sound a little more like it.

will this cause any alternator or battery issues down the road?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts