Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jason,
1.) Have the service dept. print out the service record for your visit when you complained about your DCT (hopefully they included that in their comments).
2.) Then have them print out any maintenance service record for the Tuscon, like an oil change. Any will do.
3.) Lastly, have the sales dept. print out the trade in document, which will show what the trade in amount was and how much from your loan was transferred to your new car. They printed this out for me, it was only one piece of paper.

Then scan/upload it to the DCT Hyundai site.

In my case, the guys at the dealership were totally cool about it.
The guy in the service dept. printed out the first two records, then he took me over to the salesmen and they printed out the last one. They were all totally on board with what I was doing.
Of course, they better be - I’ve bought 3 vehicles from them.

Good luck
Hey Jason, as you see above I have the same issue. Where did you get your information in the above post?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi All,
I have a 2016 Tucson. From the start I have had odd transmission behavior, not major. Shuddering, slow to shift, etc. The recall update helped, but still persisted. After getting the class action lawsuit notice, I took back to the dealership a week ago and they claim the transmission needs to be replaced. As many others, I really feel this is a defective design. However, this class action lawsuit really isn't fair to those that don't want to buy another car. I am thinking of trading in the car but not sure yet. I hate the idea of spending more money. But the reality is the car is now de-valued since there are obvious transmission design flaws. Either way we loose.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This settlement finally pushed me to trade in the tucson. Looking to move to a lexus nx

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,
I have a 2016 Tucson. From the start I have had odd transmission behavior, not major. Shuddering, slow to shift, etc. The recall update helped, but still persisted. After getting the class action lawsuit notice, I took back to the dealership a week ago and they claim the transmission needs to be replaced. As many others, I really feel this is a defective design. However, this class action lawsuit really isn't fair to those that don't want to buy another car. I am thinking of trading in the car but not sure yet. I hate the idea of spending more money. But the reality is the car is now de-valued since there are obvious transmission design flaws. Either way we loose.
I just had the dual clutch on my 2016 Tucson eco replaced 2 days ago. Today was my first time driving it and when I reversed out my parking stall it kicked twice then when I put it in drive; it stuttered a bit then the rest of the day it drove fine. I’m gonna give it a week and if it still does the same then I gotta take it back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This situation really sucks for some customers. I was looking at going for the trade-in option. In order to receive compensation for trade-in loss I need to supply proof of "service visits" within the first 20,000 miles of ownership. Well I did go to the dealership and got the TCM reprogrammed twice, but I never specifically complained to the dealership about the DCT issues. So because of I didn't complain about this issue and there is no record of a complaint I most certainly will not qualify for any compensation for monetary loss during a trade-in process. Basically when I trade-in my vehicle I will not get a fair value for it because of the known DCT issues and Hyundai will not compensate me because I didn't complain during a predetermined timeframe. By the way I did complete 2 of the engineering surveys and I did complain then, but I'm sure Hyundai has no record of that.
I will trade-in or sell my car soon and be done with Hyundai. I will be sure to let friends and family know to never buy a Hyundai vehicle ever. Good job Hyundai on losing a current customer and possible future customers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This situation really sucks for some customers. I was looking at going for the trade-in option. In order to receive compensation for trade-in loss I need to supply proof of "service visits" within the first 20,000 miles of ownership. Well I did go to the dealership and got the TCM reprogrammed twice, but I never specifically complained to the dealership about the DCT issues. So because of I didn't complain about this issue and there is no record of a complaint I most certainly will not qualify for any compensation for monetary loss during a trade-in process. Basically when I trade-in my vehicle I will not get a fair value for it because of the known DCT issues and Hyundai will not compensate me because I didn't complain during a predetermined timeframe. By the way I did complete 2 of the engineering surveys and I did complain then, but I'm sure Hyundai has no record of that.
I will trade-in or sell my car soon and be done with Hyundai. I will be sure to let friends and family know to never buy a Hyundai vehicle ever. Good job Hyundai on losing a current customer and possible future customers.
Hello. This was also my concern also. I contacted capstone (lawyers on this case) and they claim that the recall does count as a complaint. That was my concern, as it didn't have a customer complaint written, only what was performed. If you read the terms, you need a complaint within 20k miles OR a letter stating you had issues within 20k. I plan to include the DCT recall at 10k and a letter both if I decide to trade it in. From my understanding, other than that you need two legitimate service records with complaints about DCT.

Its a bad situation. I really like the 1.6L motor, but the DCT seems problematic. They really should redesign/replace the transmission with an 8 speed. I think it will need rebuilt every 50k to not shutter. Obviously it would have kept driving but would have lower trade in value when it was test driven due to shuttering. Mine is scheduled to be replaced here within the next week hopefully. Depending on how it goes, I will decide on whether I want to keep the car or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DId you ever find out the answer of this?
I was told by my local Hyundai dealership that the settlement looks at the sales price of TRADE-IN price of your current vehicle and the NEW car you will purchase, not the original purchase price as has been mentioned. So I will have to call the Claims number and wait on hold 30 minutes again unless someone has 100% positive information on this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. This was also my concern also. I contacted capstone (lawyers on this case) and they claim that the recall does count as a complaint. That was my concern, as it didn't have a customer complaint written, only what was performed. If you read the terms, you need a complaint within 20k miles OR a letter stating you had issues within 20k. I plan to include the DCT recall at 10k and a letter both if I decide to trade it in. From my understanding, other than that you need two legitimate service records with complaints about DCT.

Its a bad situation. I really like the 1.6L motor, but the DCT seems problematic. They really should redesign/replace the transmission with an 8 speed. I think it will need rebuilt every 50k to not shutter. Obviously it would have kept driving but would have lower trade in value when it was test driven due to shuttering. Mine is scheduled to be replaced here within the next week hopefully. Depending on how it goes, I will decide on whether I want to keep the car or not.
Thank you very much for the information. I will definitely be looking into that. There may be hope for me yet!
I have to agree with you. I have a 2016 Tucson and I actually enjoy the car. The turbo is fine, it is just the tranny that is the problem. Not sure why on the newer models they dropped the turbo. That was a dumb move by Hyundai, especially in the extremely competitive compact SUV class of vehicles.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Thank you very much for the information. I will definitely be looking into that. There may be hope for me yet!
I have to agree with you. I have a 2016 Tucson and I actually enjoy the car. The turbo is fine, it is just the tranny that is the problem. Not sure why on the newer models they dropped the turbo. That was a dumb move by Hyundai, especially in the extremely competitive compact SUV class of vehicles.
The 1.6T/DCT was a combo and only used together (unless you got the 6M in one of the cars offered). The combo was only dropped in N America. Still in use elsewhere.

4 years in ours and very happy with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So that I'm reading everything correctly, if I brought my Tucson to a dealer for DCT related issues three times and did not pay a dime, I'm covered under this settlement?
If I trade it in next year, say on a Honda, and I have 40,000 miles on it, I can get 50% of purchase/sale price difference?
I have talked to settlement agents on the phone and I was told you have to buy another Hyundai product.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have talked to settlement agents on the phone and I was told you have to buy another Hyundai product.
There is nothing in the settlement papers that say it must be another Hyundai. Did they say where they are getting that from?

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is nothing in the settlement papers that say it must be another Hyundai. Did they say where they are getting that from?

I called the 800 number on the settlement notification and talked to a representative on the phone. Sure it was an answering service of some kind. She was reading the answers off of a script and couldn't seem to answer many questions. This was just a few days ago. Really would like to know the exact process and compensation available before I try to trade in my Tucson. It had issues from day 1...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yea me too. I'm planning to get a non hyundai so I want to make sure I get this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone with a 2017 Tucson with DCT problems used the Class Action Settlement "Trade-in" option?
What hoops did you have to jump through?
What make of new vehicle did you have to purchase?
Did you get the compensation from the settlement you expected?
In all, how was the experience?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Has anyone with a 2017 Tucson with DCT problems used the Class Action Settlement "Trade-in" option?
What hoops did you have to jump through?
What make of new vehicle did you have to purchase?
Did you get the compensation from the settlement you expected?
In all, how was the experience?
The settlement isnt finalized yet so nobody has received any compensation yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got the same issue here, Jason. Bought a 2017 Tucson Value in January, 2018. By April, we had had several occurrences of DCT issues. Almost had a serious accident. I took it in and they reset the transmission and schooled me on how to drive it. It has never been quite right and everytime it went to the Hyundai dealer for an oil change, I asked it any new updates were available or if there was anything else they could do. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA in April of 2019. My wife was not comfortable at all driving the car. It still hesitated ocassionally when accelerating. A few days after the lawsuit letter came, We traded it in for a 2019 Tucson because we really like the car aside from the DCT. I read Jason reply below and am wondering where he got his information. I want to make sure I get it right the first time. Our 2017 had less than 20K miles on it so we qualify for the 80%. I have registered and just got a letter back saying they need the 2 visits. I have the complaint one where they reset the trans. I recognize that 2016 DCT's would have multiple service visits because of all the updates....but the 2017's (as long as I had mine) never had a single DCT firmware update. There was nothing they could do but hold your hand.
Jim Lofgren
My experience matches yours almost word for word except I haven't sold my Tucson yet. I too complained about the transmission at every service appointment but it only got put onto a service receipt one time since they told me the first time' "that is just the way a DCT acts." Obviously this is Hyundai's problem. Lawyers should not have let them put that "2 transmission complaint receipt" clause in there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My experience matches yours almost word for word except I haven't sold my Tucson yet. I too complained about the transmission at every service appointment but it only got put onto a service receipt one time since they told me the first time' "that is just the way a DCT acts." Obviously this is Hyundai's problem. Lawyers should not have let them put that "2 transmission complaint receipt" clause in there!
This is just Hyundai's way of getting out of paying compensation for a number of customers. They have these obscure requirements in place to make it more difficult. They are banking on the hope that customers won't take the time and effort to follow through with the process. Thus leading to less payouts. Kind of the same principle of the mail in rebate that companies offer to consumers when buying a product.
Another forum user(bkarr) said that the DCT recall service visits should count towards the required documentation, regardless if a complaint was filed or not. I reached out to the lawfirm(Capstone Law APC) to get more information and have not heard back yet. I'm hoping to get that confirmation and maybe something in writing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Please keep us advised.
I brought my 2016 in at 5400 miles on 7/2016 after it would not move from a stop light but revved to about 8000. Of course back then, they did not know or let on about the issue and found no codes and it wouldn't do it for the dealer mechanics. My complaint was listed on the service ticket. I brought it in again at 5700 miles for poor transmission performance but they only listed TMM completed recall per specs on the service ticket. It was brought in again at 8700 miles with only T1B - 2016-17 DCT control logic update completed listed on the service ticket.
From what I'm reading, i'm probably screwed to as far as compensation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please keep us advised.
I brought my 2016 in at 5400 miles on 7/2016 after it would not move from a stop light but revved to about 8000. Of course back then, they did not know or let on about the issue and found no codes and it wouldn't do it for the dealer mechanics. My complaint was listed on the service ticket. I brought it in again at 5700 miles for poor transmission performance but they only listed TMM completed recall per specs on the service ticket. It was brought in again at 8700 miles with only T1B - 2016-17 DCT control logic update completed listed on the service ticket.
From what I'm reading, i'm probably screwed to as far as compensation.
I did hear back from Capstone Law. A qualifying service request is anything related to symptoms that you have experienced in regards to the transmission (DCT). This includes any visits as part of the recall for TCM re-programming.
In looking at your situation you are in good shape. Number one: Your first service visit for the DCT was within the first 20,000 mile threshold. Number 2: Your subsequent visits all contain some sort of reference to the DCT issue,recall, etc.. If you are still concerned, schedule another visit and make sure they note your concerns or symptoms on the invoice. If you want further information contact Capstone Law via email. They were very helpful and responded in a timely manner.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts