Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is my understanding. I talked with the local dealer who did some research and discussed with his regional rep/manager and they read it the same way. He did state that is looks like even if this is the case, it could still take some time after the final ruling for any claim submitted to be processed and paid (I am expecting probably a year or so battle after the ruling).

I am in the same situation in which it was it 3x for DCT issues, with first one at 500 mile mark with a complaint. I checked with the service center and they pulled up all the info and printed it out for me (online version omits complaint notes and technician notes). Zero $ out of pocket on my end as well, but we are still covered under settlement...just ensure you have supporting documentation to minimize any hurdles when filing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I still have all my original dealer invoices with tech comments. The first being the no go on acceleration complaint where they couldn't find anything wrong and the other two when they did the updates. I'm wondering if those two count?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Why isn't there a settlement in Canada?
Probably because nobody from Canada has filed a class action lawsuit against Hyundai Canada. You can start the movement there

This class action was filed in the US vs HyundaiUSA

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Probably because nobody from Canada has filed a class action lawsuit against Hyundai Canada. You can start the movement there

This class action was filed in the US vs HyundaiUSA

What is the basis of the class action lawsuit in the USA? Could it essentially be copied and pasted and filed for the same reasons here in Canada?
Is there anyone on this forum in Canada, that would join this case?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hyundai isn't bad, just their DCT. What are you moving on to?

Currently waiting on 2020 highlander to compare with the Santa Fe. But in general, open to and will be test driving various brands. Already did a test drive of Santa Fe and liked it.
The DCT was so bad I'm moving to a car that doesn't shift. Chevy Bolt EV!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I assume the transmission is already covered under the 10 year warranty... I just wish they made it explicit so any problem is covered... I wonder if they’d have an out by saying there’s a wear and tear issue. I don’t have plans as of yet to trade in my Tucson since I really like it.
It’s covered, but the technicians didn’t know what was wrong. since 2016, our trannie was unpredictable and they had no way to solve. The parts are being manufactured and they will be replaced once they become available. Only wish that i forced the guys to enter the data upon every visit. They said that our probably was normal - sure, since half of everyone experienced the problem, it made it normal.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Stupid question, does any paper work need to be filled out and submitted NOW to be eligible for compensation later as far as trading in the vehicle?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Got a proposed class action settlement letter today. There are about 5 different options you can choose.

I still have the car and didn't have any out of pocket expenses so picked the option for multiple visit reimbursement. Found 5 receipts for transmission related visits ranging from 2016 to 2018.

It's all good now though

Got a proposed class action settlement letter today. There are about 5 different options you can choose.

I still have the car and didn't have any out of pocket expenses so picked the option for multiple visit reimbursement. Found 5 receipts for transmission related visits ranging from 2016 to 2018.

It's all good now though

Hello...
I received the same notice in early November and I went to the website and entered a claim.
I had 2 previous Hyundai Vehicles that I LOVED. A 2011 Sonata right off the assembly line and then a 2013 Tucson. Both of which I leased for 3 years. When it came time for me to get a new vehicle in 2016 I did not hesitate to look at the 2016 Tucson Limited.
I loved it and loved the dealership that I had worked with on my prior vehicles. Because I was getting ready to retire in a couple years I paid cash for the 2016 Tucson so I would not have a car payment once I retired and I would have a car with a long warranty.
The Tucson was Ok at first. I purchased it in February 2016. By June of 2016 I started having problems. The car would not move when I pressed the gas petal - I almost got hit several times. I took the car in for service 3 times for the DCT issue. At first they tried to tell me it was the way I was driving the car. It was then that I did some online research and found there were HUNDREDS of complaints on the NHTSA website and that Hyundai Techs were AWARE. When I questioned the dealership service manager about this they were very evasive. Then they said there was a recall and they would fix it. They did 2 different recall fixes. The work they did never stuck. I continued to have the same issues. After one really scary stall out in the middle of downtown rush hour I decided I could not drive the car anymore. I traded it in (on a non-Hyundai vehicle) in August 2016 with only 3391 miles on it. I lost a LOT of money on the trade and I am hoping to recoup some of that money. I will post back if I hear anything. Right now y status shows as received and pending

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Anyone have an answer for this question? I'm not planning on trading mine in until sometime in 2020.
You need to submit the claim by Feb 22, 2020
That's what it says in the info on the site

·
Registered
1 Posts
My understanding is we would have 120 days from the "effective date", which I believe will be the day when the judge approves the settlement (now scheduled for March or May next year) to trade or sell the car. Then you would receive a percentage of the difference between your original purchase price and the trade in amount. If you look at the charts on the website you can get an idea.
I emailed them today because I believe I filled out the form incorrectly when I put my original sale price and mileage in the blanks on the form. Waiting for an answer back.
If my understanding of all this is right then I could be looking at $3-4,000 from them to get rid of my Tucson. If that is the case then I will be getting something else for sure! If I get a Veloster N I would get an additional 5-10% too!
I was told by my local Hyundai dealership that the settlement looks at the sales price of TRADE-IN price of your current vehicle and the NEW car you will purchase, not the original purchase price as has been mentioned. So I will have to call the Claims number and wait on hold 30 minutes again unless someone has 100% positive information on this.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
"Deadline for claiming reimbursement for Diagnostic Visits and Repairs is February 22, 2020."

I'm thinking that date is only if you want cash back for dealership visits.
They have a PDF with full info there and other than opting out I didn't see any other deadline dates. They could be considering the trade in offer as part of reimbursement. Not sure

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just spoke with them, YES all claims have to be in by February 22, 2020 to be eligible for compensation. Even if you haven't traded your vehicle in by then, you still need to complete as much information as you can on the form and get it in. Oh, the wait to speak with someone today was about a minute.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I submitted my paperwork a few weeks ago. They wanted a lot of stuff - since we traded in our 2016 Tucson for a 2018 model, I no longer had my receipts for maintenance and/or repair. My local dealership printed up everything that I needed; the various times that I had taken in our Tucson to check the DCT, leading up to the point where they had to replace the tranny under warranty at 25k miles. I just made sure that I went in when I knew the Service Dept wouldn’t be busy. We traded in that Tucson for a 2018 Sport without the DCT, and lost about $2000 - which was transferred to our current loan. That's all I’m going for, and i f I can recoup that I’ll be happy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I am falling in to the category that some others have mentioned. I had a 2017 Tucson with the DCT issue. I complained about it on the first service visit and actually provided documentation to one of the law firms working on this settlement. However, there was never any out of pocket expense for me. Additionally, I did not seek additional service for the issue because they (dealership service department) advised that this was just how the car works. My wife was the primary driver and we just got adjusted to not expecting the car to accelerate like is should. We kept it for about two years and I traded it for a 2019 Santa Fe. Of course, I rolled the expense of the Tucson into the newer loan and I would not have traded it, if it did not have this acceleration issue. So I don't have 3 repair attempts (and don't believe I should need them) when it is clear there was an issue with how this DCT works. Anyone else in this situation?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jason,
1.) Have the service dept. print out the service record for your visit when you complained about your DCT (hopefully they included that in their comments).
2.) Then have them print out any maintenance service record for the Tuscon, like an oil change. Any will do.
3.) Lastly, have the sales dept. print out the trade in document, which will show what the trade in amount was and how much from your loan was transferred to your new car. They printed this out for me, it was only one piece of paper.

Then scan/upload it to the DCT Hyundai site.

In my case, the guys at the dealership were totally cool about it.
The guy in the service dept. printed out the first two records, then he took me over to the salesmen and they printed out the last one. They were all totally on board with what I was doing.
Of course, they better be - I’ve bought 3 vehicles from them.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I am falling in to the category that some others have mentioned. I had a 2017 Tucson with the DCT issue. I complained about it on the first service visit and actually provided documentation to one of the law firms working on this settlement. However, there was never any out of pocket expense for me. Additionally, I did not seek additional service for the issue because they (dealership service department) advised that this was just how the car works. My wife was the primary driver and we just got adjusted to not expecting the car to accelerate like is should. We kept it for about two years and I traded it for a 2019 Santa Fe. Of course, I rolled the expense of the Tucson into the newer loan and I would not have traded it, if it did not have this acceleration issue. So I don't have 3 repair attempts (and don't believe I should need them) when it is clear there was an issue with how this DCT works. Anyone else in this situation?
Got the same issue here, Jason. Bought a 2017 Tucson Value in January, 2018. By April, we had had several occurrences of DCT issues. Almost had a serious accident. I took it in and they reset the transmission and schooled me on how to drive it. It has never been quite right and everytime it went to the Hyundai dealer for an oil change, I asked it any new updates were available or if there was anything else they could do. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA in April of 2019. My wife was not comfortable at all driving the car. It still hesitated ocassionally when accelerating. A few days after the lawsuit letter came, We traded it in for a 2019 Tucson because we really like the car aside from the DCT. I read Jason reply below and am wondering where he got his information. I want to make sure I get it right the first time. Our 2017 had less than 20K miles on it so we qualify for the 80%. I have registered and just got a letter back saying they need the 2 visits. I have the complaint one where they reset the trans. I recognize that 2016 DCT's would have multiple service visits because of all the updates....but the 2017's (as long as I had mine) never had a single DCT firmware update. There was nothing they could do but hold your hand.
Jim Lofgren

21 - 40 of 89 Posts