Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a proposed class action settlement letter today. There are about 5 different options you can choose.

I still have the car and didn't have any out of pocket expenses so picked the option for multiple visit reimbursement. Found 5 receipts for transmission related visits ranging from 2016 to 2018.

It's all good now though

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
I received the notice too. Since I haven’t had any transmission-related expenses to date it seems the best option is for me to opt out. If I don’t, it says I will lose any chance to make a claim or lawsuit against Hyundai if a problem develops.

I wish they had negotiated that any and all transmission problems will be covered under the 10 year warranty or that future expenses will be covered.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I received the notice too. Since I haven’t had any transmission-related expenses to date it seems the best option is for me to opt out. If I don’t, it says I will lose any chance to make a claim or lawsuit against Hyundai if a problem develops.

I wish they had negotiated that any and all transmission problems will be covered under the 10 year warranty or that future expenses will be covered.
Isn't transmission considered powertrain so it should be under the 10 year warranty?

As for me, I plan on keeping the car for another year or two max so if I get $675 for making 5 visits then I'll take that

·
Registered
310 Posts
Isn't transmission considered powertrain so it should be under the 10 year warranty?

As for me, I plan on keeping the car for another year or two max so if I get $675 for making 5 visits then I'll take that

I assume the transmission is already covered under the 10 year warranty... I just wish they made it explicit so any problem is covered... I wonder if they’d have an out by saying there’s a wear and tear issue. I don’t have plans as of yet to trade in my Tucson since I really like it.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The transmission is covered under the 10/100 warranty. Wouldn't shock me if they extended it like on the 2.4. Filled out our paperwork yesterday. Odds are it will be gone before the warranty expires anyway.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Great cars, the company Hyundai/Kia just seem to enjoy settlements, first the engine problems with a $700+ million settlement, and now the transmission.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Got a proposed class action settlement letter today. There are about 5 different options you can choose.

I still have the car and didn't have any out of pocket expenses so picked the option for multiple visit reimbursement. Found 5 receipts for transmission related visits ranging from 2016 to 2018.

It's all good now though

I had a 2016 and brought it to the dealership numerous times and just got rid of it. I did not get anything regarding this lawsuit. How do I go about being part of it? Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a 2016 and brought it to the dealership numerous times and just got rid of it. I did not get anything regarding this lawsuit. How do I go about being part of it? Any information would be appreciated.
Go here and try to enter the submit claim section using VIN #
DCTSettlement.HyundaiUSA.com /

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Great cars, the company Hyundai/Kia just seem to enjoy settlements, first the engine problems with a $700+ million settlement, and now the transmission.
And don't forget the 210 million dollars for fudging the gas mileage numbers, those payments are just now rolling out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I entered a claim for the "trading or selling my vehicle" I think I might have messed up though and entered the miles and sale price from when I purchased the vehicle. Since i still have not sold it I don't have those. My understanding is that after the court date and approval of the settlement I would have 120 days to sell (or trade it in) and then I would receive the percentage of the difference of my original purchase price and the sale or trade in value? Has anyone else looked into this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am trying to figure this out too. Purchased 2016 tucson and at mileage 478 had it in to be looked at the DCT with complaint of lag. Several visits later with software updates and such, it was better, but still not happy. Fast forward to two weeks ago, I was at dealership test driving Santa Fe, debating on switching out as I really hate the jerkyness I still get when accelerating sometimes (wife refuses to drive as she doesn't like it), but elected to wait another year. Now I have this settlement just come in and debating if I should go ahead and trade-in car now ($7k+ from purchase/sell calculation at 50%), wait till after settlement, or just opt for the $450. Question comes down to if settlement will happen or not. So confusing.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yeah I have a Sonata with DCT and have not had any problems with it and was not planning to trade or sell it any time soon so is opting out the way to go?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah I have a Sonata with DCT and have not had any problems with it and was not planning to trade or sell it any time soon so is opting out the way to go?
I think it is, but I emailed settlement support and asked for clarification on conflicting wording regarding “Compensation to Troubleshoot, Diagnose, or Repair DCT-Related Symptoms”. Once I get an answer I’ll decide. The issue is whether a future DCT problem will be included in the settlement (if approved).

·
Registered
27 Posts
"Sale Class Members who have traded-in or sold their Class Vehicles, or will trade-in or sell their ClassVehicles, because of DCT-related complaints may claim compensation."

So does the "or will" statement mean that I can trade in the car a year from now, while claiming trade in compensation on the current mileage/value?

·
Registered
310 Posts
"Sale Class Members who have traded-in or sold their Class Vehicles, or will trade-in or sell their ClassVehicles, because of DCT-related complaints may claim compensation."

So does the "or will" statement mean that I can trade in the car a year from now, while claiming trade in compensation on the current mileage/value?
That’s the same sort of question I emailed settlement support about trouble-shooting, etc...
Exhibit A
“B. Compensation to Troubleshoot, Diagnose, or Repair DCT-Related Symptoms Class Members who made (or will make) multiple visits to an authorized Hyundai dealership...”.

The wording is confusing.

·
Registered
454 Posts
So does that mean even if I have not gone in to any Hyundai service department because of a DCT related complaint, and I now am going to sell or trade in my car, and I say that I am getting rid of it because I have complaints about the DCT, that they will give me some compensation? Or do I have to had brought it in for the DCT? If I need a formal complaint then I guess I can just make a service appointment and tell them the DCT is doing this or that and they will look at it and say they cant replicate it, then i can I can sell it and get some compensation?

·
Registered
97 Posts

My understanding is we would have 120 days from the "effective date", which I believe will be the day when the judge approves the settlement (now scheduled for March or May next year) to trade or sell the car. Then you would receive a percentage of the difference between your original purchase price and the trade in amount. If you look at the charts on the website you can get an idea.
I emailed them today because I believe I filled out the form incorrectly when I put my original sale price and mileage in the blanks on the form. Waiting for an answer back.
If my understanding of all this is right then I could be looking at $3-4,000 from them to get rid of my Tucson. If that is the case then I will be getting something else for sure! If I get a Veloster N I would get an additional 5-10% too!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sold mine in two days after I got the settlement info in the mail. Goodbye Hyundai and my fumbling DCT!
Hyundai isn't bad, just their DCT. What are you moving on to?

Currently waiting on 2020 highlander to compare with the Santa Fe. But in general, open to and will be test driving various brands. Already did a test drive of Santa Fe and liked it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
So that I'm reading everything correctly, if I brought my Tucson to a dealer for DCT related issues three times and did not pay a dime, I'm covered under this settlement?
If I trade it in next year, say on a Honda, and I have 40,000 miles on it, I can get 50% of purchase/sale price difference?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts