Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder why they didn't put a volt/amp meter on the dash? Is there any kind of early warning when the battery is getting close to the failure point?

Thanks all!....don't want to get left in the dark!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
At about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 yr time frame, watch for the car to have a sluggish sounding crank when you go to start it, or find the battery dead.

The OE battery is not the best

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have 3 1/2 years on my battery in my Sante and my dodge has 6 years of the OEM. Last car had 8 Years on battery before I had to change it. Not too bad for a OEM battery that is not the best to start with.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My experience has been that original OEM batteries have been the best. Lasted longer than any aftermarket.

Just the opposite with tires. :grin:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jun 14 2010, 04:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332983
At about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 yr time frame, watch for the car to have a sluggish sounding crank when you go to start it, or find the battery dead.

The OE battery is not the best

So I guess no one has ever seen an "idot" light when the battery amperage/voltage was low.....man I know one cold night BAM.....

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
QUOTE (trucker @ Jun 14 2010, 09:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333030
My experience has been that original OEM batteries have been the best. Lasted longer than any aftermarket.

Just the opposite with tires. :grin:
Same here.

The earliest OEM battery failure I've ever experienced was on a 4-year old Nissan. But that battery had to be boosted on the day I first took delivery of the vehicle, and then didn't die again until the vehicle was four years old and had been sitting for a month covered in snow waiting for its lease to expire. One boost was enough to get it running long enough to return it to the dealership. The perfect crime. :59:

·
Registered
9 Posts
The warning light lets you know if the alternator is working The only way to know about the condition of your battery is to have it tested with the correct battery tester

·
Registered
314 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Jun 15 2010, 02:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333241
Same here.

The earliest OEM battery failure I've ever experienced was on a 4-year old Nissan. But that battery had to be boosted on the day I first took delivery of the vehicle, and then didn't die again until the vehicle was four years old and had been sitting for a month covered in snow waiting for its lease to expire. One boost was enough to get it running long enough to return it to the dealership. The perfect crime. :59:
In the eighties I put a second hand Dagenite Demon battery on my Ford Cortina, It was still going strong fifteen years later when said vehicle went to the great scrapyard in the sky, can anyone beat that??.

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE (onine @ Jul 1 2010, 03:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337712
The warning light lets you know if the alternator is working The only way to know about the condition of your battery is to have it tested with the correct battery tester
I had an '82 honda accord growing up and the **** thing was on all the time. I think I had either a bad battery or wiring issue. I went through 3 alternators before I got rid of it. They'd last for about a month.

Sometimes alternators appear to give warning signs too.. At least in vehicles I've seen on the road. You can see their head/tail lights pulsating in a non subwoofer-draining fashion. My last dead battery only gave me 1 warning (a sluggish start) and it was dead the next day in another vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts