Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to add some extra info to this thread because it seems that not all 95-99 Accent automobiles have the 16-pin ODB-II DLC connector which the information at the top of the thread applies to. When troubleshooting my 1995 Huyndai Accent 1.5 SOHC (12v - Automatic) I found instead a 12-pin connector. I also have a 1996 model and that one has the 16-pin connector.

I took a look at the service manuals which can be accessed at the Hyundai Service Website. There a 12-pin connector is shown for the 1995 model:

In case the image doesn't appear, here is a text replica:

05 04 -- -- 03 02 01
12 11 10 09 08 07 06

As can be seen on the diagram, the 12-pin connector also has an L-wire (number 10) and Ground wire (number 12). By connecting them together in the same way as the instructions for the 16-pin connector tell, I was able to get a readout though the MIL (Check Engine light).

·
Registered
4 Posts
my engine check light doesnt come on! iv had 4 sparks try it with a fault code reader and they all just get no connection error.
the car seems to be showing signs of cranshaft sensor failure (wont start after its been run for about 20minutes/stalls with no warning if it does start again after the original trip)

its a 98 accent mvi. anyidea's? one guy said its possbile that the engine light and ecu connector had been discconected to hide problems when i orignally bought it. iv had a few probs but nothing to big up to now (done 15k since i got it and only engine prob iv had was a faulty HT lead)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey
I know this is an old topic; I have a 2000 Hyundai accent gl 1.5 sohc automatic. My 16 pin OBDII plug is numbered and has wires in the following holes pin 4,5,7,12,14,16. There is no wire in #15 how do i get the fault codes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (Gillard @ Aug 22 2009, 12:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=257878
Hey
I know this is an old topic; I have a 2000 Hyundai accent gl 1.5 sohc automatic. My 16 pin OBDII plug is numbered and has wires in the following holes pin 4,5,7,12,14,16. There is no wire in #15 how do i get the fault codes?
Bump

Same question. My 2003 accent has the same connectors, so which is the "L" ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used the info in the first post to diagnose a fault with my Lantra 1999 model and found that the oxygen sensor was the culprit, checked the connections and I think it may have resolved the issue. No more "Check Engine" on the dash. Will monitor fuel consumption as to ascertain whether or not to replace the sensor. I'm going to make up an OBD2 plug with a momentary on switch connected to pins 15 & 4 to use to extract the codes in the future. (It was a bit scary using a paper clip considering where the OBD2 socket is locater under the steering wheel). I'll post details and pics here when I have completed this. Note that I did try to use an OBD2 hand held code reader my mate has and it couldn't establish a connection the the cars computer. But as I said the shorting of pins 4 and 15 to extract the codes worked a treat.

The plug is here:
eBay OBD2 link

Oh BTW, Hyundai here on OZ wanted to charge AU$60.00 to check the codes for me.

Also, I don't have the car radio code if the battery is disconnected, and Hyundai want to charge me AU$50.00 the remove and replace the radio to get the serial number, and another AU$85.00 to pay another company to supply the code them from some database. Reckon I'd get a rip snortin' cd/mp3 player for less than that!!!!!!

Great forum!

Gerard
Melbourne
Australia

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 1999 Hyundai Accent (Excel) X3 2 door hatchback. The ODBII port is to the right of my steering wheel just above the dimmer switch / rear fog lamp switch.

Is it possible to read these codes via an ODBII cable + software, rather then this method?

I purchased an OBDII cable & software to diagnose an engine light on my Vauxell (Holden) Astra. The same cable fits this port but I can't find any software which will connect & read the ECU.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Despite the fact that Hyundai electronic engine management consists of commercially available Bosch/Siemans components, the programming is via Hyundai`s own coding... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just incase this is of interest...

I own a cheap flea-bay ODB2 reader.
It works well on my brothers 2001 1.5 CDX.
But does not link at all to my 1996 1.5 GLS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cannot get OBD codes!

I have a bluetooth ODB2 reader and my PC software (tried several apps) can detect the reader but cannot read any codes.
Also I did the simple thing to short out pin 4 and 15 to get the engine light (MIL) to flash and cannot!!!
Can anyone help.
Does this mean the 99 Accent is 'different' or not fully ODB2 compliant?

Thanks
Paul

21 - 33 of 33 Posts