Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've read the thread on DRL and the car is equipped with them?
Flawed-definetly. Illegal-(Canada-Ontario)-questionable. Not automatic...

I 'm going to be spending 4 months in California and to drive w/your parking lights on during the day is illegal.

To have your dash lights dim when you turn on your so called automatic DRL's is ridiculous. Very unclear in the manual.

However, I just read some articles in the Globe about this very issue ...maybe Hyundai is onto something.

Why don

I would like to see Hyundai exclude the parking lights and make them auto-matic on all their vehicles.

Lets investigate this. I'll do the grunt work...help point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm sorry, but what are you on about exactly? Your post makes no sense...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
459 Posts
Threads have to be deleted by moderators. In terms of what the OP in the other thread has said, the Canadian cars do not include their running lights with the DRL. Only the high beams, which are about 50% dimmer than our high beams with full lighting on, are on during the day. Our gauge clusters are lit during the day only because as with most every other car on the road, Hyundai's gauges are LED backlit, so they need to be on during the day when they're visible. You can tell when your running lights (aka parking lights) are on by the little green dash light beneath the tach that looks like two lights that are on back to back. The foglight indicator (if equipped) is another green light beside the running light indicator. There's no issies with your car being illegal anywhere. Car companies don't build their cars to be illegal.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
In fact the other thread is about the American versions of the Elantras, which are not exactly the same here.
In the USA, the DRL are still not mandatory on new cars, so Hyundai decided to put a DRL OFF feature on some of their versions, which some people don't like because they have to turn on parking lights to have DRL on.
But in Canada, the DRL on our Elantras are always on and are perfectly legal.

·
22,792 Posts
I had the DRL's on my 2011. Not so on my 2013. Put me in the category with the folks that would like to have them back. IMO, having to turn on the parking lights is "ridiculous." That means the taillights are on, as well. Great, more bulbs to burn out before their time is due.

So, I've elected to just keep the cotton-picking things off until it gets dusk! There, Hyundai, take that!!! ;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
You tell 'em Rich! Stick it to 'em! ;)

...at the same time, I HATE that tail lights don't at least come on a bit with the DRLs.

I can't count the number of times that I've been driving on the highway, or around the city in the evening, with some asshat who hasn't turned their actual headlights on. No headlights means they don't have their taillights on! In every car I've ever been in (IIRC - based on the article, I'm wrong), the dash doesn't light up without the headlights, so they'd have a dark car...their headlights would be on (DRLs), but that's not very helpful if you're rollin' up behind them.

How they don't realise that this is an issue is beyond me...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Howdy folks THX for the replies...I can put this one to bed now...the 'AUTOMATIC-DRL's are now working' on my 2013 GT.

I spoke to a Ministry of Transportation Officer and it is illegal not to have Automatic DRL installed and functional on all vehicles made for Canada after 1989. (w/some exceptions) So that 's that...panic is over...onto other GT concerns...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts