Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I want to install dash cam but don't know where to find the power for it. It seems not easy to fit wire from power outlet under climate control. I wanted to remove interior light and try to find electricity but don't know how to remove it. I unscrewed two bolts in glasses box, but light still don't want to go out. Can anybody help?

Thanks,
Darko.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Use a fuse tap (add a fuse) to draw power from your cabin fuse box. You can either do an always on circuit if you want it to record while the car is off or you can use a fuse that is only live when the car is running. If you go for 24/7 recording you might want to add an accessory that prevents your car battery from draining.

For my 17 Tucson I believe I used the radio fuse to power my dash cam. Or maybe that was the Elantra and the Tucson had a spare fuse location that I found was live when the car was on. I think that's what it was, one of the spare fuse locations.

Then you'll want a hard wire kit to from the fuse tap to the camera. Just make sure you get a kit with the correct plug for your camera (micro usb / mini usb / whatever).

These have enough length to hide all the wiring. Starting where you have the camera mounted you can tuck the wire into the roof liner, down the A pillar into the dash area by the fuse box.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Camera have its own power supply for standard power outlet.
What do you think about power bank for mobile phone? Can it be usable for camera?

And how to remove the cover from a-pillar without damage?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
and beware of the battery minder harness:

NEW Car Hard Wire Kit Micro USB Hardwire for Dash Cam Camcorder Vehicle DVR | eBay

these are supposed to turn off power if it goes below a certain voltage. i have already replaced 3 of these, and gone back to non battery minder. the problem is that the minder has a mind of it's own, and will turn off the power at will. of course, the chinese dont care, they got your money. i think the voltage regulator just aint accurate.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Поздрав брате, check my thread how-to-do it...I did it. After you unscrew everything, put your flat screwdriver from the window side towards you and slightly pouch it down...but again get my thread I marked these tabs Срећно

Reactions: Dare4x4

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Insert the wire into the gap of A pillar with a small flat head screwdriver ( or panel tool if you have 1), Simple.
Do not try to remove the cover, air bag there.
To make the wire invisible running to power source is the tricky part.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Поздрав брате, check my thread how-to-do it...I did it. After you unscrew everything, put your flat screwdriver from the window side towards you and slightly pouch it down...but again get my thread I marked these tabs Срећно
Хвала брате! Мислим да сам те видео на Драјв2.ру. Please share the link with me, I can not find :(

Insert the wire into the gap of A pillar with a small flat head screwdriver ( or panel tool if you have 1), Simple.
Do not try to remove the cover, air bag there.
To make the wire invisible running to power source is the tricky part.
Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Хвала много!
Питаћу те још ако ми буде требала помоћ ;)

Поздрав!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
у свако доба

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi

I have used the same cig lighter port for powering my dash cam. I have ran the wire through the A piller and goes to the ceiling and you can remove the covers of the mirror and run it to the camera.

I will make a video of how to remove the A Piller covering. Its very easy. Please note that i do not have air bags in my pillers.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that I also don't have an airbag in A-pillar because there is "Airbag" logo on the B-pillar above seat belt.
Thanks for video.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Camera is installed. Nothing is visible, except power supply in the left power outlet. I can confirm that airbag is inside A-pilar. I hope that I will never use it and that wire for camera will not affect its functionality.

When ignition is off, camera shuts down and I think that my battery is safe...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wrote this over a year ago and its probably hidden somewhere so I will rewrite for new comers.

Hard wiring dash cam to your fuse box:

I used the Power Magic Pro by Blackvue along with Blackvue dashcam (I recommend getting this kit and you can pick any other dashcam you want as long as it has cigarette plug). The purpose of this kit is so that you can set it to auto shut off power to dashcam when battery drops below a certain voltage. (Great for parking mode when ignition is off).

Now to the fuse box, I pluged in the power source (when car ON) to rear wiper fuse. When car OFF, I plugged it to power seat switch fuse. There is one common ground which I unbolted a screw slightly near the fuse box is (car body) and screwed it back tight.

For those asking if you really need those add a fuse tab, I personally did not use it. I just took out the fuse and wrapped the wire around and plugged it back in.

I installed this probably October 2015 and have not yet had a problem.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Reactions: twospirits

·
Registered
274 Posts
As someone with absolutely no confidence in my skill to be able to hardwire this to anything, I currently have this setup.

RED is VISIBLE wiring, YELLOW is hidden wiring, so under weatherstrip, inside glove box..., etc etc.

I dont seem to have airbags in my A Pillar and didnt figure out how to remove it, even after watching all videos. Pulling does nothing :(
Also once I'm down the right side, I have no idea from wher I should start coming out and pass the cable.. Right now I actually have it just dive in the glove box and come out on either sides.. Which doesn't seem ideal.

Anyone with suggestions?

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
David, why you won't hide that wire under the dash and connect DVR directly to lighter?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I like that idea.

TS out
paying extra $50!? Your cable from DVR already has the fuse, you can cut off a plug itself and do hidden connection tap wires to the fuse box easy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts