Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
i am about to do this on our 2020 sonata. and it does have the micro2 fuses, so i would bet all the 2020 hyundais and more will have them. the add a circuit in the amazon add is close to what i have, and you will need 2 of them, plus a ground. i am also using the viofo hardwire kit(2 of them, front and rear a129 pro-not duo-4k). i did this on both our 2016 elantras, but did not use viofo, and the hardwire did not have the parking monitors. each add a circuit uses 2 fuses. you pull out the fuse in the slot you are going to use, and put the add a circuit in. there are 2 fuses used in each add a circuit, one is the original fuse you just removed, the other is the fuse for what you are adding. hope this helps

·
Registered
90 Posts
i am about to do this on our 2020 sonata. and it does have the micro2 fuses, so i would bet all the 2020 hyundais and more will have them. the add a circuit in the amazon add is close to what i have, and you will need 2 of them, plus a ground. i am also using the viofo hardwire kit(2 of them, front and rear a129 pro-not duo-4k). i did this on both our 2016 elantras, but did not use viofo, and the hardwire did not have the parking monitors. each add a circuit uses 2 fuses. you pull out the fuse in the slot you are going to use, and put the add a circuit in. there are 2 fuses used in each add a circuit, one is the original fuse you just removed, the other is the fuse for what you are adding. hope this helps
Thanks for confirming that the FUSE type of the MICRO 2. Now I am buying the kit with micro 2 fuse Viofo 3-Wire Hardwire Kit for the A119V3, A129 and A129 DUO (with or without a Tap-A-Fuse Kit) & Viofo A129 DUO Dual Channel 1080p Dash Camera with Dual Band WiFi + GPS Mount. The seller is an authorized seller for VIOFO and told me he would give me $15 discount for buying from his website then on amazon. Not a good discount but I will save on the tax by not buying on amazon. After hardwiring them, it won't look bad or anything dangling or hanging down right? The rear windshield window is attached to the trunk so it won't be any issue right? In sedan cars you know the rear windshield is behind the backseat and not on the trunk. Do the resell or trade in value drops if you have dashcam with cable hardwired in to the vehicle?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
if you have never hardwired a dashcam, you will have some problems. the biggest is the rear camera. since it is attached to the front, you have to run the cable back. i have never done this thru the top(headliner) because of the side curtain airbags. professionals know how to do this. i always ran the cable back tucked inside the car under the door sills, then up the bottom of the c pillar, and then to the camera. i always used 2 power cables, and i had to use extensions. if your camera is connected to the front one, you might not have enough length to do this. then, the only other option is splicing. the main reason i dont go with a duo is that the rear camera is only 1080p. i have 2 of the 4k cameras, with the polarizing filters, so, again, separate power cords, but both spliced in to one power source. a while ago, i even ran the rear cable from the lighter socket in the console, under the back seat. that was a hassle. tapping in to the fusebox is a helluva lot easier. most of the trim panels just snap on/off, very few actual screws, and there is a lot of room under the sills. we just traded in one of the elantras with the front and rear cameras

·
Registered
90 Posts
if you have never hardwired a dashcam, you will have some problems. the biggest is the rear camera. since it is attached to the front, you have to run the cable back. i have never done this thru the top(headliner) because of the side curtain airbags. professionals know how to do this. i always ran the cable back tucked inside the car under the door sills, then up the bottom of the c pillar, and then to the camera. i always used 2 power cables, and i had to use extensions. if your camera is connected to the front one, you might not have enough length to do this. then, the only other option is splicing. the main reason i dont go with a duo is that the rear camera is only 1080p. i have 2 of the 4k cameras, with the polarizing filters, so, again, separate power cords, but both spliced in to one power source. a while ago, i even ran the rear cable from the lighter socket in the console, under the back seat. that was a hassle. tapping in to the fusebox is a helluva lot easier. most of the trim panels just snap on/off, very few actual screws, and there is a lot of room under the sills. we just traded in one of the elantras with the front and rear cameras
I don't install dashcams and I am not DIY. Whatever dashcams I purchase online, I will have to take it to bestbuy to install them. If the A129 DUO with the rear cam will be hard to install, I may have to purchase 2 separate cams for the front and rear.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
i am sure an installer will be able to make it work. there are a lot of front/rear cameras like this. i have had a few 1080p cameras, front and rear, and i just dont think 1080 is sharp enough. we also have 8 cameras outside of our house, and we started with 720p, then went to 1080, and finally we have 4k. the difference is astounding. you might want to go to dashcamtalk, and go thru the posts, but it can be very confusing. youtube has some comparison videos:
. but it doesnt end there, it is important that the chip is capable of 4k(the viofo pro is). i think the rear camera is more important that the front in parking lot situations, so i want a good one back there. i have gone thru several dashcams, and i hope the viofos will work for a while. they have, so far. one last caveat, you gotta have good customer support. oh, and the 129 duo is not 4k, the 129 pro is.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i am sure an installer will be able to make it work. there are a lot of front/rear cameras like this. i have had a few 1080p cameras, front and rear, and i just dont think 1080 is sharp enough. we also have 8 cameras outside of our house, and we started with 720p, then went to 1080, and finally we have 4k. the difference is astounding. you might want to go to dashcamtalk, and go thru the posts, but it can be very confusing. youtube has some comparison videos:
. but it doesnt end there, it is important that the chip is capable of 4k(the viofo pro is). i think the rear camera is more important that the front in parking lot situations, so i want a good one back there. i have gone thru several dashcams, and i hope the viofos will work for a while. they have, so far. one last caveat, you gotta have good customer support. oh, and the 129 duo is not 4k, the 129 pro is.
the pro version is $100 more. Is there a dashcam duo that is not just regular use to record front and back but also inside ?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
there are several that do inside. try google uber dashcam. i consider 100 bucks well worth it. the upgraded chip is easily worth it

·
Registered
90 Posts
there are several that do inside. try google uber dashcam. i consider 100 bucks well worth it. the upgraded chip is easily worth it
Looks like such dashcams A129 duo IR won't record anything in the rear except for front and inside the car cabin. May need a a third dashcam for the rear.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.4 - Calypso Red
8 Posts
I am looking at ways to try to install a dashcam without the dealer trying to use it as any reason to justify denying warranty on anything.

Was thinking of just plugging into the front right USB port, then going up thru the center console to the passenger side door seal + up thru behind the A-pillar, behind the airbag and then across the edge of the headliner.

I saw some people reported fear that any removal of the door trim could break the clips which have about 1" of leeway for the airbag. Are they that different than any previous ones??

I ran the wiring up the drivers side on our 2007 Santa Fe with no issues. I don't know what to expect with the vent, however. But I expect I should only need to loosen the A-pillar trim at the top anyway (right??)

The only other thing I'm unsure on is how I could get the wire from the usb port back thru the dash without having to come around the center trim. I don't see any easy ways to pop anything off any get behind where the USB port is. Has anyone done this?

Any help/pics/tips are much appreciated! Just got the car 1 week ago (2020 SEL) and don't want to destroy anything or any warranties.. but we really like our dash cam!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I didn't know installing/hardwiring Dashcam would cause issue with the vehicle warranty. Hope it is not true or I won't install dashcam

·
Registered
8 Posts
I didn't know installing/hardwiring Dashcam would cause issue with the vehicle warranty. Hope it is not true or I won't install dashcam
After some more digging it really seems they would have to be able to directly attribute a failure somewhere to my dashcam wiring, so if I find a good fuse to tap it seems highly unlikely to cause a warranty issue. So now I just need to find the best fuse to tap into where it will only be powered when the car is running. Have seen 1 suggesting a fan, but if that's the blower fan and it failed for any reason that would indeed be an expensive and risky option. I'd prefer a spot for something cheap/harmless or maybe not installed on my car :)

I took a look thru the fuses looking for the most harmless looking ones, but I haven't checked which are on only when the car is running yet. (I would assume nearly all of them are only when car is running?)

What do you think? Is it normal to have the fuses present for things not installed the car, and if so then one would think it's super safe to use those spots, no?

Candidates:

RR SEAT (LH) 25A - fuse present, but no rear seat heat or auto-fold
SUNROOF 2 20A - fuse present, but car has no sunroof
SUNROOF 1 20A - fuse present, but car has no sunroof
RR SEAT (RH) 25A - fuse present, but no rear seat heat or auto-fold
WIPER (REAR) 15A
P/SEAT (PASS) 30A - fuse present, but no passenger power seat

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am looking at ways to try to install a dashcam without the dealer trying to use it as any reason to justify denying warranty on anything.

Was thinking of just plugging into the front right USB port, then going up thru the center console to the passenger side door seal + up thru behind the A-pillar, behind the airbag and then across the edge of the headliner.

I saw some people reported fear that any removal of the door trim could break the clips which have about 1" of leeway for the airbag. Are they that different than any previous ones??

I ran the wiring up the drivers side on our 2007 Santa Fe with no issues. I don't know what to expect with the vent, however. But I expect I should only need to loosen the A-pillar trim at the top anyway (right??)

The only other thing I'm unsure on is how I could get the wire from the usb port back thru the dash without having to come around the center trim. I don't see any easy ways to pop anything off any get behind where the USB port is. Has anyone done this?

Any help/pics/tips are much appreciated! Just got the car 1 week ago (2020 SEL) and don't want to destroy anything or any warranties.. but we really like our dash cam!
I installed my dashcam, I ran the 12 V cigarette lighter power wire along with the rear camera wire along the passenger side all the way to the rear, and used the rears 12 V power outlet. No wires up front, and if I need that rear 12 V, I would be parked anyways and can just unplug the dashcam. I can post some pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used fuse taps. For the switched the sunroof and for the always on the door locks. With a vehicle that has a engine shut off at stops you need a harness that does not shut off the camera at that time. I have Rexing V1 4K cameras in both of our vehicles. The camera is available at Amazon.
this camera has better quality videos then many of the more expensive cameras.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I used fuse taps. For the switched the sunroof and for the always on the door locks. With a vehicle that has a engine shut off at stops you need a harness that does not shut off the camera at that time. I have Rexing V1 4K cameras in both of our vehicles. The camera is available at Amazon.
the rexing does not have a 4k chip, so you are not getting a true 4k. i replaced our rexings with viofo, which does have a 4k chip. another deciding factor is that rexing does not have a polarizing filter, viofo(and some others) do. the filter greatly enhances the picture, all dash cams should have this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sunroof should not shut off when the engine shuts off at stoplights, should it? Same with rear 12V outlet?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
There is a model of the Rexing that does have a 4K chip but only one model
i just looked on their site. best has 5mp chip. true 4k is 8mp chip. none of the rexing '4k' will record faster than 24fps in '4k', which is another clue the chip is not true 4k. lastly, all the info only shows 2160, which in fact is really 2880 x 2160, not 3840 x 2160. 24fps is also too slow. they are good cameras, and they have great customer support

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try your sunroof with the ignition off. Mine will not operate
Ours never operates because we don't have one 😂

This is an important distinction though - do cars with auto stop/start keep power to accessories when the engine is off, but the car is clearly in RUN mode & the engine has just temporarily shut off. Does the sunroof operate when the stop/start has turned off the engine at a stoplight? That is a dang good consideration I hadn't thought of! Has anyone tested it? I think the car itself would behave like a nightmare if all that stuff turned off every time the stop/start activated at stoplights - I bet you still have power to the sunroof/etc in those cases but would love to hear confirmation.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
618 Posts
Accessories work when ISG stops the engine. If it doesn't, that engineer should get the boot!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts