Hyundai Forums banner

Dash/Windshield Foam

8K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  RXElantra 
#1 ·
Between the dash and windshield is a piece of filler foam. Anyways, on my car it had a gap in it from the factory and it bugged me. I let the dealer know this and they looked at it and pulled it out saying it wasn't needed. They said they could order it if I wanted and it would be easy to re-install. I took it in today and they inform me that they were wrong and the dash needs to be taken apart and it will take about 5 hours to fix since the tech has never taken an Elantra dash apart before.

They gave me a rental car while they fix it. The more I think about it, I should not have let them do this. How complicated is it to take the dash apart. Should I expect a dash that rattles or screwdriver marks where they have tried to pry the dash apart?

What are your guys opinion? Did I do the correct thing?

#2 ·
Well, if the dealer is doing it, any damages made by them in the process should definitely be covered I would think. I don't think there's a way to prove that they caused any sort of rattling that wasn't there before, but you can surely take pictures of your entire dash as proof of the condition that was in when you dropped it off. I think it's a good idea to have the part replaced if it was damaged. I've never been too keen on the idea that something installed from the factory is just "not needed". Why would Hyundai, or anyone for that matter, waste money in production of unnecessary items. All businesses are in the business of making money. Just my 2 cent.

#3 · (Edited)
Since you asked, I would never pursue something so trivial especially when the repair is so invasive. The gods have a way of punishing OCD car owners.

On the positive side, you've learned that your dealership is service-oriented and honest to a fault. Keep these guys, even if they occasionally screw up.

My strategy for enjoying cars is to appreciate their strengths, and embrace their weaknesses as "character". This philosophy has enabled my wife to stay with me for nearly 30 years. :)

#9 ·
...embrace their weaknesses as "character". This philosophy has enabled my wife to stay with me for nearly 30 years. :)
My wife of nearly 42 years (in March) has done one heck of a bang-up job at "embracing," Don. Trust me on this one! :grin:

There are videos on youtube on how to take the radio off. The process " if done correctly", would never expose the trim near the radio for scratches.
When my shift selector option went south the first time, I noticed the trim was scratched after I received the car back. The following week, at my "suggestion (?)" it received all new trim installed and the thing looked pristine.

...yet the tech pried in several locations that were totally irreverent. uhh. My OCD levels are going up, but I guess what is done, is done :(
NO, what is done does not have to remain done if not correct. If the tech messes it up, the dealer is legally obligated to return it in the same condition as they found it BEFORE doing the dirty deed. Fixed, of course.

And taking pictures of an area in question "prior to" is a fantastic idea, as one of our members stated, above. One additional benefit I have discovered in having a smart phone is the "burden of proof" we can place upon any service work before and after the fact...simply by showing a well-defined pic. BONUS! I'd wager some dealers hate this. Too bad!

OT: Can't wait for my oil change Saturday morning. I've already texted several of the techs to alert them I'm arriving at 8 AM with donuts. I would say they treat me like family, but they actually treat me BETTER than family. I don't like to go anywhere that advertises that they "treat you like family." Some of you will understand that statement. :wink2:

#4 ·
When I went to pick it up, the radio area was totally messed up and not snapped into place correctly. The molding was nearly over a radio button. I told them of this issue and they went back and fixed it. I noticed quite a few screwdriver-ish type marks around the radio like someone tried to pry it out. I brought it to the attention of the staff which didn't really know what to say. The marks are pretty small, but I was being OCD about things yet again. The foam strip, (or technical name, crash pad) was all wavy and was not installed well. Basically, my OCD-ness had made things worse. I should have left well enough alone. The service manager spoke to me and was quite defensive at first. As I talked with him, he started to come around and at least somewhat understood what I meant. He said the tech used a special tool to get the radio out and did not use a screwdriver. I suppose it is like an ipod, its not really ever meant to come apart. They probably thought I was nuts for what I was complaining for, it was quite small but it is something that will always bug me still I am sure. I jokely said to the service manager, "its not like we can replace the whole radio because of these small marks." He then said he could replace the radio if I wanted. I declined and he gave me 5 free oil changes since I was not happy with the work. The dealership is about an hour away (yes, closest one to me.) Not sure if I will ever actually use it, but at least he tried.

Moral of the story, don't go crazy with small things like Don67 says above. It really only made things worse to be OCD. In the future, I am going to try to avoid it.

#5 ·
Also, the service manager said the crash pad was there to help prevent rattles in the dash. If the tech wouldn't have ripped the old one out without my permission, knowing what I know now, I would not have had them do anything. Live and learn I guess.

#6 ·
There are videos on youtube on how to take the radio off. The process " if done correctly", would never expose the trim near the radio for scratches. Snap off the two silver parts and, then remove screws and snap off. No prying with "special tools" is needed. Any scratches would be expected at the bottom, near the gear lever., which can be prevented with masking tape.
Sorry about your problem. Maybe ask them to give you a deal on a replacement part of the dash, or at least on the labor.

#8 ·
You're a better person than me about this. I would be FROSTED.
Half would be at the technician for shoddy work, and half would be at myself for not being able to accept a little flaw, when it's inevitable. It seems to always causes more grief than it's worth. I'm getting better about that sort of thing, but once in a while, it still bites me on the rear end. I wouldn't be able to look at those marks though. Make them get it right, and take a drive down the roughest road you can to check for squeaks, and rattles.

#10 ·
Family of lapdancers. Father has taught son well, to lapdance:D

#12 ·
I would have had them replace the radio, but I get free XM radio for some reason. I haven't modified the radio in any way, it was just never deactivated for whatever reason. Yes, it's already bothering me. On the way to work, I glanced down at it on every stoplight.

#13 ·
Later on today I will take a photo and see what you guys think is best to do. It really isn't bad, but it's too bad its in a center place where I look often. I wish I knew how the radio came out before I went to the dealership, I would have argued more knowing that nothing needed to be pryed and everything screwed out with the exception of two locations near the floor.

#15 ·
Whats the easiest way to post images? I am not seeing an upload button. Are outside links allowed or is that against the rules?
Hit the "Advanced" button at the bottom of your post before you send it. It will open another window. Click on the "attachment icon" (paperclip?) on the bar up top, and follow along. You'll get it.

#16 ·
Thanks for the information, quite easy to post the photos. Sorry for the late reply. I went on a weekend vacation and have been quite busy so far this week.

Getting back to point, I attached a few images of the radio. I also attached an image of some marks that meet the "grey accent piece" near the floor. On both sides there are several of these screwdriver marks. I am not overly concerned of these marks since they cannot really be seen unless stooped over them specifically looking for them.

The foam (original issue) was poorly put in, I may just pull out the foam myself. I feel asking the dealer to do anything in the interior again will just make things even worse. Dealers are used to fixing mechanical problems, not interior issues I can see. When I went to pick up the car, they had the radio not even snapped together correctly and looked totally wrong. I had to get them to snap things together correctly. My opinion now is asking them to do anything in the interior will likely result in issues.

Attachments

#17 ·
It's pretty sad that I can find good directions online for pulling the console and radio yet the so called professionals blunder through the procedure like gorillas in the mist. I know as I had to pull everything to put in the sub wiring and my LED cupholder lights, and there's not a single scratch or indentation. Even though the markings of sloppiness aren't all that noticeable on yours they'd still eat at me because my eyes would always be drawn right to those spots (lol, I think I'm a lot like Rich in that respect)!

#18 ·
It's pretty sad that I can find good directions online for pulling the console and radio yet the so called professionals blunder through the procedure like gorillas in the mist.
How true.

I would complain to my dealer if they did this kind of damage, but not expect they would do much about it. Maybe they would surprise me.

If they choose to do nothing, and you do not escalate the complaint, you might try repairing it yourself. It apears that most of the screwdriver marks in the silver facia should easily be rectified by pressing very gently on the damage with a polished piece of flat metal or burnishing tool. It should push it back into shape 90% or so.

#19 ·
I did complain. The service manager was quite defensive saying there was a special tool used and the tech was "very careful." After seeing the video on how to do it, I am assuming no tool exists. The service manager either lied or just was going on what the tech told him. He offered to replace the radio since I was not happy. However, since I get free xm for some reason, this wasn't really a good solution (radio ID would change). He offered 5 free oil changes since I wasn't happy. I probably won't use them, rather just never return to the dealership.

If I would have known how the dash was taken apart, I would have argued more. Live and learn, it's a good idea to understand whats being done before letting them do it.

#20 ·
Sorry, I meant to say Dealership Owner or General Manager, not just the Service manager. Take it up the chain if you are not happy. Don't just take the service manager's word as the only answer. I assure you,m there are other answers if you work for it. It is, of course, your choice to accept it as the best they will do and not persue it further. But in a case like this, I would talk to the owner, explain my experiences including the response from the worker bee service manager, show him that you know the "right way" to remove the panels and ask him (the business owner) "If this was your personal car, would you be 100% satisfied with this work?" This generally gets the response that I want and things get done. If not, there are other, higher level decision makers. I have only lost this type of approach once in over 60 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.