Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which dash cams are some of you using these days and if you have had one installed for a while now,how are they holding up after hot summers and cold winters?

We have been without one for a while now as our "rear view mirror" type of cam stopped working after only a year of use. I think it was only $45 or so,but,regardless of price,I would not buy one of those again.

Not wanting to spend a lot of money on one,I bought this one on Amazon two days ago. It was $100,but,they had a $25 discount going on,so,$75.....not too bad.Install should be simple as car is already hard wired.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have the Garmin 45 dashcam which I bought for 149.99. A little pricey but I love it.
1080p video and expandable memory up to 64GB.
It has lane departure warning and forward collision warning which is highly useful since my Sonata does not have these features from the factory. It also tells you when are approaching traffic light cameras!
Another good feature is if God forbid an accident happens the camera will detect the accident and automatically save the video to the memory card. The only issue is that when it gets hot in the summertime it’ll shut off to prevent overheating therefore terminating any recording while parked over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Airforce1

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
we have 3 of the v1's you got from amazon, and one f9. customer support is excellent. however, the ONLY sd card you should use in the v1 is high endurance. if you use any other, the camera will have all kinds of problems, mostly it will just reboot over and over again. i must have exchanged 10 of them under warranty, then i went to the high endurance card, and they have been flawless for at least 6 months. all of them are hardwired, and all 3 also have the gps module(the f9 wont take one). i have had a few problems with the sticky tape in the texas heat, be sure you "rough" up the plastic mount before you apply the tape, or, better yet, i got some 3m vhb(very high bond) also from amazon, and that sucker can hold an elephant. i am suspect that tailgaters can see the rear camera, and they back off. if i had to do it all over again, i think i would get the viofo a119, it has higher resolution, and you can get a polarizing filter for it. have not had any battery problems, but our cars are kept in the garage. i have never been able to figure out why people put their 15k car in the driveway, and fill the garage with 500 bucks worth of junk.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I bought the V1 and the GPS unit as well. I live in Vegas nd it held up through the hottest months. Very good res. Just can’t figure out how to work the parking and motion detect..

·
Registered
504 Posts
i bought my g1w-c about 4-5 years ago, still works as it did first day, i'm in nyc we get hot days and cold days, they have no effect on my dashcam.
i paid 60 for the cam, it is pretty good for the money, it does have one serious problem, when it fills the card it just stops recording, i played with settings, and now it works just fine, i had to disable shock sensor\locking files. in theory it supposed to lock file where g force detected(a collision) but in reality it seems like it does not work as designed, it locks all files\folders and stops recording after card is full, disabling that option makes it rewrite files as card fills up. i played with shock sensor sensitivity but it did not do much,

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've been using an Aukey one, $70. No added features but it does audio/video well.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M592J9C[/ame]

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I bought the V1 and the GPS unit as well. I live in Vegas nd it held up through the hottest months. Very good res. Just can’t figure out how to work the parking and motion detect..
i am not using those features. the best way to use them is hardwire with power on all the time. you can get hardwire with power minder, BUT, it will wear out the sd card in a very short time. otherwise, the features are hit and miss, esp the motion. only over a long time can one really see how good it is, most are just too sensitive. and the parking mostly just shows after a bump, maybe a car driving off. at any rate, the battery power in the v1 is just not enough, so power on all the time is really needed. of course, if your car is in a high hit area, i would just get a couple of high endurance cards, and change them out regularly. one hit and run recorded can save you a lot of money. AND, maybe you can get on judge judy and surprise them with the recording.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
thanks for the feedback hochiinn, I’m not in a high hit area but thought the feature would be nice. It sounds a s though it may be more trouble than its worth. I may experiment with setting it up to constant power and try it for a few days. I’m tapped into my fuse box with an “add a circuit” fuse tap so it won’t take much. Haven’t priced the high endurance cards but will look into it. Thanks again .

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
thanks for the feedback hochiinn, I’m not in a high hit area but thought the feature would be nice. It sounds a s though it may be more trouble than its worth. I may experiment with setting it up to constant power and try it for a few days. I’m tapped into my fuse box with an “add a circuit” fuse tap so it won’t take much. Haven’t priced the high endurance cards but will look into it. Thanks again .
you should get a new card asap. dunno if a bad card will damage the unit, and the return process is really easy. you just call them up, give them your order nr, they ship you a new one with a call tag. samsung used to specify the warranty is void if used in a dash cam. you dont need a lotta gig, 32g is the best cost ratio. i had 128, but finally ended up with 64 because they were at a good price.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we have 3 of the v1's you got from amazon, and one f9. customer support is excellent. however, the ONLY sd card you should use in the v1 is high endurance. if you use any other, the camera will have all kinds of problems, mostly it will just reboot over and over again. i must have exchanged 10 of them under warranty, then i went to the high endurance card, and they have been flawless for at least 6 months. all of them are hardwired, and all 3 also have the gps module(the f9 wont take one). i have had a few problems with the sticky tape in the texas heat, be sure you "rough" up the plastic mount before you apply the tape, or, better yet, i got some 3m vhb(very high bond) also from amazon, and that sucker can hold an elephant. i am suspect that tailgaters can see the rear camera, and they back off. if i had to do it all over again, i think i would get the viofo a119, it has higher resolution, and you can get a polarizing filter for it. have not had any battery problems, but our cars are kept in the garage. i have never been able to figure out why people put their 15k car in the driveway, and fill the garage with 500 bucks worth of junk.

Thanks for all the tips.I never heard of a high endurance card and never saw a manufacturer mention it . Below is a link to the SD card I already have.How do I know if it is high endurance or not? If it is not,can you recommend one?Also,should cards be replaced every so often for optimum performance?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had purchased a cheapie at the time 720 P front and rear for about $150 IIRC. I wasn't using it so I gave it to the boyfriend. Well wouldn't you know a couple of months later a lady in a pickup turned left in front of him and he T boned her. The "super capacitor" did not keep the unit powered so there was no evidence of the accident. It had video until about 30 seconds before and then the next file I hear him shouting the F word after he hit her. It totaled his pristine first gen Miata. And a passenger in the pickup sued him, even though the other driver was labeled at fault and ticketed! Seems she didn't have health insurance. (I will not have a political diatribe over health care in this country...sorry, it just slipped out)
So he now has a Thinkware 750 with the rear cam and I have the 770 with rear cam. They are not cheap, but their rep is good AFAIK. High quality images and they will time-lapse after you turn the car off and have excellent night vision capabilities, lane departure warnings, and red light camera warnings. I think mine may even have collision warning, but I turn that and the lane departure off as my Sonata has those features. So far I am pleased and I live in Florida. We're not Vegas or AZ, but it does get hot and so far no issues.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Thanks for all the tips.I never heard of a high endurance card and never saw a manufacturer mention it . Below is a link to the SD card I already have.How do I know if it is high endurance or not? If it is not,can you recommend one?Also,should cards be replaced every so often for optimum performance?

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-micr...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PC619FBN1XZ1289WZCRV
go back to the amazon link, and type in 'high endurance' and they will come up. google high endurance, you will see lotsa articles. high endurance are designed for devices like dashcams that continually overwrite, but even these eventually wear down. because of the problems of bootleg sd cards, i have no idea on what to recommend. rexing usa has a couple of good articles, and there was a really good youtube about the cards. now there are a bunch of them, and i cant find the one i like any more. also, try dashcamtalk

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had purchased a cheapie at the time 720 P front and rear for about $150 IIRC. I wasn't using it so I gave it to the boyfriend. Well wouldn't you know a couple of months later a lady in a pickup turned left in front of him and he T boned her. The "super capacitor" did not keep the unit powered so there was no evidence of the accident. It had video until about 30 seconds before and then the next file I hear him shouting the F word after he hit her. It totaled his pristine first gen Miata. And a passenger in the pickup sued him, even though the other driver was labeled at fault and ticketed! Seems she didn't have health insurance. (I will not have a political diatribe over health care in this country...sorry, it just slipped out)
So he now has a Thinkware 750 with the rear cam and I have the 770 with rear cam. They are not cheap, but their rep is good AFAIK. High quality images and they will time-lapse after you turn the car off and have excellent night vision capabilities, lane departure warnings, and red light camera warnings. I think mine may even have collision warning, but I turn that and the lane departure off as my Sonata has those features. So far I am pleased and I live in Florida. We're not Vegas or AZ, but it does get hot and so far no issues.
Very nice cameras.Is the quality of the rear camera as good as the front?

go back to the amazon link, and type in 'high endurance' and they will come up. google high endurance, you will see lotsa articles. high endurance are designed for devices like dashcams that continually overwrite, but even these eventually wear down. because of the problems of bootleg sd cards, i have no idea on what to recommend. rexing usa has a couple of good articles, and there was a really good youtube about the cards. now there are a bunch of them, and i cant find the one i like any more. also, try dashcamtalk
After some reading after you posted about using the HE cards,I decided not to use either the 32 GB or the 64 GB cards I have now and ordered a 32 GB HE SanDisk. I also learned that you should format the card once a month and/or every time you transfer files from the card to your computer. I never did any of that with our original cam.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V5Q1K3O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

The cam came yesterday.In the pic below is a suction cup mount which I ordered separately for $6. I will not use the charger that came with it as the charger from the other dash cam is still in the car and nicely arranged and hidden.Both drop voltage to the correct 5v.

Not sure if I will mount camera to the windshield permanently or with the suction cup.I like the idea that with the cup,we can quickly turn the camera 90 degrees left or right as it swivels. Would be good on a traffic stop and going thru border check points.I am torn on that issue and will go the suction cup route to start.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Very nice cameras.Is the quality of the rear camera as good as the front?

After some reading after you posted about using the HE cards,I decided not to use either the 32 GB or the 64 GB cards I have now and ordered a 32 GB HE SanDisk. I also learned that you should format the card once a month and/or every time you transfer files from the card to your computer. I never did any of that with our original cam.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V5Q1K3O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cam came yesterday.In the pic below is a suction cup mount which I ordered separately for $6. I will not use the charger that came with it as the charger from the other dash cam is still in the car and nicely arranged and hidden.Both drop voltage to the correct 5v.

Not sure if I will mount camera to the windshield permanently or with the suction cup.I like the idea that with the cup,we can quickly turn the camera 90 degrees left or right as it swivels. Would be good on a traffic stop and going thru border check points.I am torn on that issue and will go the suction cup route to start.

AirForce1, yes the rear is same resolution, etc. It appears to be the camera only which uses the "smarts of the front unit". They have new models that have gen 2 of the night vision features. Hopefully I will never need it as evidence, but I certainly feel a lot better having it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone have pics of where the wires are run and or hardwired? Ive been debating a dash cam but not sure if I want to commit if I cant get it to look clean.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you hardwire it,you see no wires.It is run from the fuse box,up the pillar,and tucked in between the head liner. The only wire showing is where it connects to the cam.There should be pics in the YF sections if you do a search.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The "super capacitor" did not keep the unit powered so there was no evidence of the accident.
I wonder why your dash cam stopped recording. Did the accident destroy the car battery? If so, that is something I had not thought of.

My unit is supposed to sense a impact and start recording in a new file. It is hardwired and gets power as long as the ignition is on. I would think it would keep recording as long as the car battery is not destroyed or someone turns off the ignition.

Thanks for your informative post.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you guys leaving your dash cams in your cars when it gets cold out? When I say cold,I mean 20 F and below. A few days ago in Canada,car was always outside and there were a couple of nights with temps in the single digits where one morning it was 4 F when I started the car. The cam worked well in those temps,but,I am wondering if the cold continued like that if there would be issues.

Dash cam is Rexing V 1 for reference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are you guys leaving your dash cams in your cars when it gets cold out? When I say cold,I mean 20 F and below. A few days ago in Canada,car was always outside and there were a couple of nights with temps in the single digits where one morning it was 4 F when I started the car. The cam worked well in those temps,but,I am wondering if the cold continued like that if there would be issues.

Dash cam is Rexing V 1 for reference.
I’m interested in this as well, this past week has been -10f -20f at night. Will this camera, or any other recommended camera, work in these temps?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts