Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hardwired an Aukey DR02 dash cam today in the Kona. Easy to do and a pretty neat appearance with no wires showing. For direct power, I tapped into the heated steering wheel fuse which is only hot with the ignition on, ran the wire up behind the c-pillar cover, and tucked it in the headliner. The camera goes on and off automatically when the ignition is turned on and off, just like it would if attached to the power outlet.
Here are some links for the camera, SD card, and direct wire kit:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FGL63X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V5Q1N1I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G9WTWB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Attachments

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
You are likely going to be bombarded with the blow by blow of each picture. Not everyone will understand with pictures only.
Just saying.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks.. I have a cam I'm going to install.. was hoping to
tap into the mirror for power.. but that looks tidy.. Looks good. Thanks for posting

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,133 Posts
I hardwired an Aukey DR02 dash cam today in the Kona.
And a very professional job you made of it too, if you don't mind my saying so.

Can I ask, have you noticed any problems with your radio since fitting the camera? I recently installed a camera for a customer who bought one of those hard wire kits and the electrical noise coming off the little voltage converter completely wiped out his radio reception. I had to move the thing to the rear of the car to get his radio to work again :|

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, and I haven't experienced any issues with radio performance since the camera install, even playing AM stations. This is now the 3rd camera I have hardwired in the last couple of years as I have one in my Odyssey and one in my Sonata hybrid and have not experienced any issues with radio interference in either of them fortunately. I do know that the ground can the source of interference in some situations, although you did mention that you installed it for a customer so you obviously know what you are doing. I did notice a bunch of chatter on the subject on the dashcam forums regarding interference with lots of suggestions in eliminating the interference.
Here's just one for example:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/how-to-minimize-radio-interference-from-rear-camera.30873/

Either way, the install is very easy to do, especially in the Kona, and the camera is barely noticeable under the factory camera system, and it blends in well. I just hope the 3M tape they supply holds up in the hotter weather, as my other 2 cameras are mirror mounted so no issues in that regard. Also, the night recording on this Aukey is amazing when compared to the Papago GoSafe 260 cameras I have in the other vehicles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice install. I'll have to think about doing that.

... a customer who bought one of those hard wire kits and the electrical noise coming off the little voltage converter completely wiped out his radio reception.
I'd have sent that unit back. There are strict laws about interference and I doubt that it complies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You like the operation of this Aukey unit? No hiccups in recording or playback? There are 100's of cameras out there, and I don't want to get a cheesy one. Aukey makes some good stuff.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, so far, so good. Night recording is really top notch. It says "Sony Exmor Sensor captures everything in super-sharp full 1080p resolution with super-wide 170° field of view and maintains strong performance in low-light conditions for nighttime driving".
The SD card does play a factor though, so don't skimp on the card.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting. Mine is 3m'ed onto the passenger side. I never even considered sticking it onto the black plastic sensors cover...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a '19 Tucson and originally installed a VIOFO 129 which has a similar form factor on the same rearview mirror block but the adhesive came off so I had to move it to the windshield :/ did you buy a different mounting tape or?

·
Registered
105 Posts
You're missing out big time if you don't wire permanently live to have a parking mode considering the amount of frequent damage in supermarket and multi storey car parks , excellent footage is normally captured as vehicle is still and damage done at low speed .

Lost count of forum posts with advice on parked damage !

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
After having a dash cam for going on a year now, I have to agree that their primary value for me is having a real parking mode. The likely hood of being damaged in a parking spot (for me) is probably 100 times higher than being damaged on the road driving.

Reactions: Gazwould

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
This dashcam recently saved me a $1000 collision deductible, as well as having an at fault accident on our policy. My daughter was driving and got t-boned as she was making a left in the left-turn only lane, and the oncoming car that hit her was in the right-turn only lane, but decided he was going to go straight instead, and hit my Kona on the right side. He had told the Trooper that he was in the middle, straight-only lane, but I brought a copy of my video to the Trooper and he watched it and the guy was deemed 100% at fault. Even though it was a perfectly written report by the Trooper, the other party's insurance (we both have Geico) tried splitting fault with my insurance at 50/50, but my uploaded video made them decide it was 100% his fault, and not only are they going to pay the $4000+ damage in full with no out of pocket on my end, they will also pay for the rental when my car goes into the shop, which can be another $900 easily. I have dash cams in all 3 cars we own, and believe it is a worthwhile investment.
This video was captured on my Odyssey's camera:

Attachments

Reactions: andyswarbs
1 - 16 of 16 Posts