Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 HSH Limited and was wondering if anyone has installed a dash cam in their Sonata by hardwiring. Any recommendations for good video quality dash cam? Hardwiring tips? Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a 2016 HSH Limited and was wondering if anyone has installed a dash cam in their Sonata by hardwiring. Any recommendations for good video quality dash cam? Hardwiring tips? Thanks
Search for Dash Cam here and you will find a bunch. I have one and I ran a wire from the upper center counsel to get power.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Search for Dash Cam here and you will find a bunch. I have one and I ran a wire from the upper center counsel to get power.

Thanks a million

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Installed one in my Sonata last year. Bought a hard wire kit from this link https://www.thedashcamstore.com/installation-kits/

Made the install process extremely easy!! Had it done in less than 10 minutes

Thanks so much... My car has the Lane Departure Warning... I assume I can't mount it too close to that or anywhere near the light sensor on the back of the rearview mirror

·
Registered
515 Posts
I’ve had a Garmin 45 dashcam for a little over a year now and it’s great. Shoots in 1080p HD and it’s hardwired so it’ll record activity when the car is parked say in a parking lot or on the street. I don’t have any of my own dashcam videos on youtube but I found a good example of some footage from somebody else:

https://youtu.be/bwIZUoAuPks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks so much... My car has the Lane Departure Warning... I assume I can't mount it too close to that or anywhere near the light sensor on the back of the rearview mirror
Jump on amazon or even the link I sent you and you can get rear view mirror dash cam mount that will let it hang down a little and keep it out of the way of any sensors or you can do what I did since I already have a radar detector on my mirror I got a visor mount and put it on the passenger side. It does take away the use of the visor but I rarely have my wife in my car with me and she wears sunglasses anyway so its not a problem

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve had a Garmin 45 dashcam for a little over a year now and it’s great. Shoots in 1080p HD and it’s hardwired so it’ll record activity when the car is parked say in a parking lot or on the street. I don’t have any of my own dashcam videos on youtube but I found a good example of some footage from somebody else:

https://youtu.be/bwIZUoAuPks
That video quality is great! Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mine is mounted on the glass right to the left of the lane departure camera in the area of the windshield that has the black dots. The lense of the camera peeks just under the dotted area and it is totally hidden from outside view just like the lane departure camera. The rear view mirror also hides the camera from the driver's line or site but the dash cam doesn't affect the sensors in the mirror. The dash cam screen on mine can be set to stay off so it doesn't have anything on the display itself while it is on and recording.

It is still easily accessible to remove the SD card or to physically remove from the mount if need be.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ours are mounted to the back of the rearview mirror with extra strong Velcro. They never move, and like Jamison they just peek out under the dots while the mirror itself hides the camera. Yet, are very easy to pop out the SD card as they sit on the drivers side of the rear view mirror and that is where the SD card sits. Push and it is out.

·
Registered
406 Posts
From the driver's side

Passenger side

The wire is run behind the headliner and down the A pillar trim and into the dash and fuse panel.
Can see the micro SD card is easily accessible if it ever needs to be removed. Also can just unmount the cam by sliding it up and off the mount which is held to the glass with 3m adhesive tape.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Have you guys had any issues with the dealership/mechanic when you take your car in for service? Just wondering if they say anything about the dashcams.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you guys had any issues with the dealership/mechanic when you take your car in for service? Just wondering if they say anything about the dashcams.
I never take my car to the $tealership. I do all my own repair and oil changes so they are done correctly and with better quality parts, but there is nothing they could every say about them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
What can they say. It's just as common if not more than a radar detector. I've heard of some that haven't hard wired their cameras in that they were unplugged when their car was returned after being serviced. I'd be very leary of that place if mine was just plugged into cig lighter and that happened to me. What are they trying to hide.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine is plugged in to the lighter, but I ran the wires around the passenger side pillar and then through the glove box hinges and up to the lighter. I'll check out these hardwire kits tho. Looks nice to me and I won't have a random wire going to the lighter...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The camera I bought has park mode so it will record when parked. I was thinking about using a solar panel trickle charger which plugs into the OBD connector. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
406 Posts
The camera I bought has park mode so it will record when parked. I was thinking about using a solar panel trickle charger which plugs into the OBD connector. Any thoughts?
That's actually not a bad idea if you aren't starting up the car and driving it very frequently. Although how much power can a little camera really be pulling. Well maybe more than we'd think?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Note to anyone in Texas using a TxTag for the toll roads; In a strange twist of a government agency actually paying attention to its citizens requests, due to the growing popularity of windshield mounted dash-cams the size of the TxTag has been reduced by more than half so as not to interfere with the viewing angles of the cameras. All you have to do is drop into one of the TxDot stations or request one on line.

They look similar to the one shown in the photos of post #13 above, if not even a bit smaller.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts