Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other car has a power outlet inside the glove box, so I have the Dashcam connected there. What would be a good solution for the 19 Santa Fe? Anyone did the hard-wiring?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes I hardwired. Not difficult at all.

From the headliner, tuck around the A Pillar trim (you don't need to remove it) and then pull the rubber door seal away down to the side of the dash and run wires behind it down into the fuse box.
I tapped into a 10 amp AC fan circuit.

Probably a 1 hour install.

Dash cams are the greatest!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I ditched my '17 Ultimate for my new '19 Limited just to get away from the in-dash Nav. I bought a Garmin GPS with a built in dash cam that works extremely well, plus it has lifetime updates. Plus now I don't have to pay Sirius for the extra features of the Hyundai nav.

I didn't hard wire it, just used the cable that came with it and ran it along the outside of the dash and plugged it into the far left outlet. You can hardly notice it. The camera begins recording as soon as the engine is started. It records 1080p video and audio, plus has a button to capture a snapshot if needed. It also has a voice command feature so you can operate it hands free, along with lane departure and collision avoidance warnings.

I bought it at Amazon..I paid $260, but now it's listed for a little more.
Garmin nuviCam LMTHD 6" Navigation with Built-in Dash Camera:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WAP8PI2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip! I'm also considering putting up a secondary back facing camera.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I put a Viofo A119 v2 in with a hardwire kit. because of the giant center "island" behind the mirror I had to stick it pretty far out. My other (older) vehicles I could hide it behind the rearview mirror pretty well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Can anyone provide photos of their dashcam install. I have an older Blackvue 600 /gps and wifi in my 2013 just in front of the rearview mirror. Can something similar be done in the Ulitmate (still waiting on delivery?)

Tx
Jeff

·
Registered
257 Posts
Can anyone provide photos of their dashcam install. I have an older Blackvue 600 /gps and wifi in my 2013 just in front of the rearview mirror. Can something similar be done in the Ulitmate (still waiting on delivery?)

Tx
Jeff
Sorry, this is the best image I could get.
I wanted it high enough but also centered as much as possible.

It was tough because of the huge cover in back of the mirror.

Mounted with lens just below the frit pattern.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
What are the better dash cams for stealth appearance? In other words, the ones that are least noticeable to a thief.
The BlackVue (no LCD screen) and the mini 0906 (not sure how reliable) are 2 smaller cameras that can mount a little easier because they are narrow and wider and could be better hidden behind the mirror.

I had an older mini 0806 which finally worked after exchanging a few times because of reliability problems. It had a battery though and would die soon after shutting down.

Street Guardian has great support and is one of the main reasons I got it. It also has a capacitor and 2 year warranty.

The problem I found is the area behind the rear view mirror is so large that it's difficult to hide a camera.

This is a good resource for cameras just like the Santa Fe forum is for us. They also have reviews.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the pic. I can see the challenge given the size of the cover behind the mirror.

Not sure why Hyundai would not have included a stock dash cam on the Ultimate.

I have a couple of Blackvues in my 2013. The rear camera failed just after the warranty expired and the PowerMagic adapter also went KAPUT. My son had a similar Blackvue in his Golf R. Same situation, failed after one year. Needless to say, I am not in favor of that brand as a result.

I am going to have a look through the dashcam forum for suggestions

Cheers

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry, this is the best image I could get.
I wanted it high enough but also centered as much as possible.

It was tough because of the huge cover in back of the mirror.

Mounted with lens just below the frit pattern.

This is exactly how I mounted my A119c, it was hard to get it level without someone on the other side to watch.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a couple of Blackvues in my 2013. The rear camera failed just after the warranty expired and the PowerMagic adapter also went KAPUT. My son had a similar Blackvue in his Golf R. Same situation, failed after one year. Needless to say, I am not in favor of that brand as a result.

I am going to have a look through the dashcam forum for suggestions

Cheers
Hmmm, I was planning on getting a blackvue 750 with their new connection kit that plugs into the OBD2 port (no need for fuse taps. Going to have to cruise the dashcam forum as well.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Did anyone install the rear camera? How did you run the wires?

Yes there are a few members that install a rear dash cam including myself, most likely it’s the same process for the 2019 models compare to last gen SF and with a little patience you’ll be fine. I kept it simple and just use the plug in at the rear of the SF but it does make it look clean and tuck away, the tricky part was running the cable through the rubber boot but definitely doable. Read up this thread in the link below and it’ll give you some ideas, here are some pics of my rear dash cam installed. GL.

Mounting Dashcam on Rear Window liftgate trunk
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=90758&share_tid=636565&url=https://www.hyundai-forums.com/showthread.php?t=636565&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the link! Nice job. Looks like a couple hours of work? I’ll probably buy a 2ch ca,era and will need to run the wire to the front dash cam. Need some trim tools, but doesn’t look super hard.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thanks for the link! Nice job. Looks like a couple hours of work? I’ll probably buy a 2ch ca,era and will need to run the wire to the front dash cam. Need some trim tools, but doesn’t look super hard.

Your welcome and yes our Lexus RX has the dual camera and it will take a bit longer to run the cable from front to rear. I had my Viofo A119S laying around so I used that for the rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well dashcam talk helped a little, but not definitive. Seems like Street Guardian is the best wedge. For more stealth, Thinkware F800 pro or the Blackvue 900 or 750. Blackvue seems the most popular based on activity at the site, but concerned with @JeffMLane failure experience.

Anyone try out the Thinkware cams?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Installed a Blackvue DR750S 2 channel in the Santa Fe. Was concerned about reliability, but in the end Blackvue as a premium dash cam had the best features and form factor. I hope I don't regret installing it.

Took a couple hours. Ended up removing the liftgate trim and all A,B and C pillars. Took off the grab handles in the headliner so I could pop the headliner down a couple inches to run the wire behind the curtain airbags and behind the A pillar airbag (zip tied to existing wire harness). Wrapped the wire in cloth wire harness tape (tesa) where it meets the trim for abrasion protection.

Wasted two hours with a faulty power magic pro harness. Soldered the fuse taps to the harness only to discover it had a faulty ground. Waiting for the replacement to arrive. Running on cigarette plug right now without parking mode.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I’m having a Blackvue DR 900 S (front channel only) installed soon.

https://www.blackvue.com/dr900s-1ch/

The installer says he can stick it onto the black spot that I drew on the plastic shroud behind the review mirror, RATHER THAN the area marked in blue on the windshield glass. That way it will be a bit less visible.

Any thoughts from Blackvue owners about this mounting position versus a lower mounting onto the windshield glass? SEE PHOTO

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine is where the blue mark is. I'd say give it a try on the plastic cover and see how it works. They are easy to move. Try to get it as close to the windshield as possible to minimize reflections from the glass. Are you using the power magic pro or ez?

I don't think you can add a rear to the 1ch Blackvue later like you can with others. You may want to check out the videos of night recording on the 900. The increased pixels makes for poorer night time video. That and the larger file sizes pushed me to the 750. I don't have a 4k laptop to view the files and when looking at them on the app, I use a lower rez anyways as downloading time is too slow.

I'm going to put a 1ch in my other vehicle and am just going to go with a Viofo A129. The comparison videos look very good against the Blackvue 900 and 750. Blackvue's are also finicky about aftermarket sd cards. I managed to get a Sandisk A1 128G to work.

Post a pic of the finished job.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts