Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I ordered a hidden hitch from etrailer.com and was installing it yesterday. The directions called to torque each of the 10mmX1.25 bolts connecting the hitch to the truck frame to 59 lb-ft. Well, the first bolt stripped before the 59 lb-ft was reached. The bolt now spins freely in the hole. I took the bolt out and there was a thin metal shaving wound between the threads.

I am REALLY bummed about this and don't know what to do. I got my tap set out to rethread the hole only to find out there's no room under there to turn the tap.

I opened the hatch back and looked around trying to find an access point to the frame from above thinking if I could access it I could use a nut and long bolt. Everything is sealed.

I tightened the rest of the bolts to 50 lb-ft only as I don't want to risk stripping them.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do? I'm beginning to think I'm out of luck and won't be able to use a hitch on my Santa Fe.

Thanks.

·
1,565 Posts
Welding is the only think I can think of. Either the hitch permanently on, or a nut over the hole. everything is sealed, you say? What if you take off the rear bumper?
Good luck, and I hope it works out for you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (jagermeister @ Oct 1 2010, 12:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360176
I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I ordered a hidden hitch from etrailer.com and was installing it yesterday. The directions called to torque each of the 10mmX1.25 bolts connecting the hitch to the truck frame to 59 lb-ft. Well, the first bolt stripped before the 59 lb-ft was reached.
Guess that doesn't surprise me. Are you SURE they specified 59 foot pounds? 63 ft pounds is the absolute max on even a high quality 12.9 grade metric bolt of 10mm in size. Given that it was a metric bolt, they didn't specify the torque in Nm? 59Nm would be 43 ft lb.

Edit: I'm curious -- do those bolts have an 8.8, 10.9 or 12.9 stamped on the top of the head?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I didn't take the rear bumper off. Is that pretty involved to do that?

I rechecked and rechecked the directions. 59 lb-ft or 80 N-m is what they spec. I wonder if it's a misprint. I looked up directions for some other hitches and the Curt hitch specs 37 lb-ft for the torque.

The top of the bolts are stamped with a 10.9.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Anything beyond 40 ft-lb with a 10x1.25 is pushing your luck...

Seems to me the Hyundai kit calls for 44 ft-lb, and I go "SLOOOWLY" when tightening them with torque wrench.

·
Registered
39 Posts
QUOTE (jagermeister @ Oct 1 2010, 03:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360176
The directions called to torque each of the 10mmX1.25 bolts connecting the hitch to the truck frame to 59 lb-ft. Well, the first bolt stripped before the 59 lb-ft was reached. The bolt now spins freely in the hole.

I tightened the rest of the bolts to 50 lb-ft only as I don't want to risk stripping them.
From the way that you posted this, it sounds like you started to mount the hitch and tightened the first bolt all the way to 59 ft-lb. It is a little late, but the proper way to torque multiple bolts to 59 ft-lb would be to tighten all of them down to about 48 to 50, go back and tighten them all to about 55 then one more time all of them to 59 ft-lb.

Sorry I can't be of any help with the stripped bolt.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (jagermeister @ Oct 1 2010, 02:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360226
Thanks for the replies. I didn't take the rear bumper off. Is that pretty involved to do that?

I rechecked and rechecked the directions. 59 lb-ft or 80 N-m is what they spec. I wonder if it's a misprint. I looked up directions for some other hitches and the Curt hitch specs 37 lb-ft for the torque.

The top of the bolts are stamped with a 10.9.
They must be making those bolts out of Unobtainium instead of steel. There's no way you should be torquing a 10.9 bolt that much. At most, you'll hear numbers between 47 foot pounds and 55 foot pounds, dry, for the absolute max allowed.

If you've stripped or broken anything, I'd get back to the manufacturer and have a "chat" with them about their torque specs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been looking for a hitch for my 2011 Santa Fe GLS. Originally, we were going to go with a Curt (13004), but it's been discontinued. Next up was a Valley (V82876), but they're having delays and holding up shipments at least through mid-May. Now, we're at a Draw-Tite (75684). It's in stock and being shipped right now. Same problem with the instructions. They're showing the 10.9 class bolt with a 59 lb-ft torque. I can't find a chart that goes anywhere near a value that high. As mentioned above, Curt is showing 37 for their torque, Valley goes 44. I emailed Draw-Tite's tech support and questioned the torque value. They confirmed it and sent a PDF of a Generic Torque Values chart that they use. Get this, that chart shows a 10x1.25 class 10.9 with a value of 71! There's no way that will work without stripping the nut. It shows an 8.8 @ 42, a 9.8 @ 59, and the 10.9 @ 71 for a 10x1.25. They stated that they use the middle value (for the 9.8). It's suicide to go that high or even close to it. Based on the Hyundai spec, I'll probably go near 44 when I install. Sorry that the stripped nut had to happen to someone else before the warning went out to everyone else.

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (cam2011 @ Apr 5 2011, 04:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=426209
I've been looking for a hitch for my 2011 Santa Fe GLS. Originally, we were going to go with a Curt (13004), but it's been discontinued.
Check Ebay. Lots of them floating around. I got mine there about a month ago. Curt for $130 with free shipping to US and Canada. Actually got the seller's name through this forum so I guess I can post it again. Name is Grille4you and they show more than 10 in stock. Good hunting!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
DO NOT GO much beyond 44 lb-ft... that is what Hyundai put in their direction.. Maybe the bolt can handle the load,,, but the insert on the chassis might not... refer back to those that have stripped theirs..

Use common sense.. 10x1.25 is not much bolt..

BTW,, I have a used REESE 44549 sitting here for sale..... :liebe011:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem last weekend. There is a small rubber plug in the body near where you bolt the hitch on. I can get my finger up in there so I'm going to tape a nut to it and thread a longer bolt in it's place from the bottom to reach it above the thread insert. I found a 10.9 nut and bolt at True Value hardware that will work. By the way, I don't believe I would have had any problems with 59ftlbs if I had run a tap through the one that stripped out. It was pretty corroded and took some work getting it in there. The other three worked fine at that value. By the way, you can get a socket on the end of your tap and put an extension on it to get the tap in there, but it sounds like your insert is cashed like mine is.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Run a tap through the chassis mounting holes if it been on road over a week...

Best to just run the holes first to clean the crude thread cut by some factory bulk nut spitting machine so the new bolts will install smoothly-cleanly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Received the Draw-Tite hitch on Thursday. UPS was not too kind with the delivery. A few paint scrapes on the top resulting from roughing up the box in transit. Spot painted to cover the scrapes since we have a lot of salt on the roads during the winter months. Installation was a cake walk. It's a nice set-up and no need to drop the muffler. My son helped with the install. As far as torquing the bolts, I stopped at 45 ft-lbs. Once I was there, the inkling to go to 59 wasn't in the cards. I couldn't even fathom the idea when I reached 45 and I felt like I was pushing my luck at that point. We'll try the bike rack a few times and I'll throw the torque wrench on to see how it's holding. I really do believe that Hidden Hitch and Draw Tite need to review their installation instructions on their torque values.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not to revamp an old thread, but I picked up and installed a UHAUL hitch and the torque settings listed were 59ftlbs....so not much has changed. I torqued to 37ftlbs as I had seen that on another hitch install. The shipped bolts were 8.9 listed on the top. I had an iching to follow the instructions....glad I didn't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DrawTie 75471

I installed the hitch above about a year ago, the directions indicated 59 ft-lbs. I think I went to about 55 Ft-lbs and didn't have an issue.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a similar concern about torque when I installed my hitch the instructions stated some obscene 59 lb-ft or 80 N-m, the company was no help either because they just quoted the instructions. Fortunately for me, I asked around here and other places, and torqued them at 40 which I think was sbr711 recommended. SLOWLY is the key. It does not help you know (sorry) but I can only think welding would be your only alternative.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Run a tap through the chassis mounting holes if it been on road over a week...

Best to just run the holes first to clean the crude thread cut by some factory bulk nut spitting machine so the new bolts will install smoothly-cleanly.
I've got a 2007 that I want to put a hitch on, and the mounting holes are quite rusted. I've tried to put in some bolts to clean them out, but the bolts jam up and I'm afraid of stripping the mounting holes if I force them.

Will tapping the holes completely "overwrite" the original threads?

·
Registered
1 Posts
DO NOT GO much beyond 44 lb-ft... that is what Hyundai put in their direction.. Maybe the bolt can handle the load,,, but the insert on the chassis might not... refer back to those that have stripped theirs..

Use common sense.. 10x1.25 is not much bolt..

BTW,, I have a used REESE 44549 sitting here for sale..... :liebe011:
Thank God for this forum......just finished installing Reeves hitch, and used 44 ft-lbs for torque. Much more I definitely would have stripped it out, and replacing the nut would have been a nightmare (area virtually inaccessible without significant disassembly- way beyond my capability!) Many thanks for the 44 number; I also will frequently re-check.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I installed a Hyundai factory hitch on my Santa Fe. I was lucky to find a new out of box one on Ebay for 100 shipped.
The factory directions call for running a tap first, and then tightening the 4 M10x1.25x30 grade10.9 bolts to 40 ft-lbs and the 4 M12x1.75x110 grade 10.9 bolts to 72 ft-lbs using a 19mm crows foot.
Installation went well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts