Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Have had my Tuc for 2 weeks, less than 600 miles. The following is what I sent to the dealer this Saturday morning: ""Last night it was about 35 degrees out, the car had been sitting for 5 hours, so cold but not freezing. Car ran on hybrid for a hundred yards or so when I gave it more pedal to pick up speed, the ice motor kicked in and then after a couple hundred yards the car warning came on-screen saying low engine temp and limiting the speed to 20.

THE CAR INSTANTLY REDUCED SPEED-with other traffic behind me. Even trying to give it gas the tach stayed at about 1200rpms and would not go faster. Luckily there was a place for me to pull over and get out of the way. I sat there waiting for the engine to warm, using the temp gauge on the multi function dash, for a few minutes. I tried to start out again and the car would not go over 20 even though there was some bars of heat showing on the digital gauge. After another 400 yards or so I pulled over again and waited. And nothing changed. After a few more minutes I just drove home, for the first 1/2 mile I could not get the car over 20, after repeatedly trying to “floor” it. Finally I was able to get the car over 20 but the alarm stayed on and the car seemed to want to go at the speed I was asking for and self given down to 20.""

I did hear back from them and took it down earlier today and of course no code was found. And no issues this morning, I really wish I had taken a picture last night but I figured the code would be stored, nope.

Has anyone heard about anything like this?

Thanks

· Registered
504 Posts
Hi all,

Have had my Tuc for 2 weeks, less than 600 miles. The following is what I sent to the dealer this Saturday morning: ""Last night it was about 35 degrees out, the car had been sitting for 5 hours, so cold but not freezing. Car ran on hybrid for a hundred yards or so when I gave it more pedal to pick up speed, the ice motor kicked in and then after a couple hundred yards the car warning came on-screen saying low engine temp and limiting the speed to 20.

THE CAR INSTANTLY REDUCED SPEED-with other traffic behind me. Even trying to give it gas the tach stayed at about 1200rpms and would not go faster. Luckily there was a place for me to pull over and get out of the way. I sat there waiting for the engine to warm, using the temp gauge on the multi function dash, for a few minutes. I tried to start out again and the car would not go over 20 even though there was some bars of heat showing on the digital gauge. After another 400 yards or so I pulled over again and waited. And nothing changed. After a few more minutes I just drove home, for the first 1/2 mile I could not get the car over 20, after repeatedly trying to “floor” it. Finally I was able to get the car over 20 but the alarm stayed on and the car seemed to want to go at the speed I was asking for and self given down to 20.""

I did hear back from them and took it down earlier today and of course no code was found. And no issues this morning, I really wish I had taken a picture last night but I figured the code would be stored, nope.

Thanks you try
When the car limits your speed, that is called "limp mode". It allows you to get to safety without damaging the car. You don't want to drive it too far if the gas engine doesn't turn on because you might drain down the high votage battery too far. I believe it ts important to keep an eye on the level of charge if you ever have a problem. If you ever get that type of warning again, try shutting down the car, waiting a minute and reboot. And it is an ecellent idea you have to document it with photo or video if it should hapen again. I had a "doom" type warning when I first got the car. It said something like "trouble with hybrid system. Contact dealer". I was in a parking lot 1000 miles away from home. I thought I was screwed. I rebooted the car and haven't had another issue in 20,000 miles. Good luck.

· Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
428 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks
Did they check the engine temperature sensor?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the car limits your speed, that is called "limp mode". It allows you to get to safety without damaging the car. You don't want to drive it too far if the gas engine doesn't turn on because you might drain down the high votage battery too far. I believe it ts important to keep an eye on the level of charge if you ever have a problem. If you ever get that type of warning again, try shutting down the car, waiting a minute and reboot. And it is an ecellent idea you have to document it with photo or video if it should hapen again. I had a "doom" type warning when I first got the car. It said something like "trouble with hybrid system. Contact dealer". I was in a parking lot 1000 miles away from home. I thought I was screwed. I rebooted the car and haven't had another issue in 20,000 miles. Good luck.
I wish I had taken a picture because of course there was no code registered in the car when they OBD'd it the following morning. Also I've since learned what limp mode is although in most places it states less than 3k rpm and 40 mph-this just said no going over 20 and when I gave it gas nothing happened.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Ultimate
59 Posts
Definitely something wonky with a sensor, I've driven multiple times in -30C (-22F) with the car sitting outside all night and no limp mode ever.

Good luck getting that sorted with the dealer, if they can't/won't do anything then contact Hyundai customer care directly so they can guide the dealer about troubleshooting from their techline.

· Registered
504 Posts
I wish I had taken a picture because of course there was no code registered in the car when they OBD'd it the following morning. Also I've since learned what limp mode is although in most places it states less than 3k rpm and 40 mph-this just said no going over 20 and when I gave it gas nothing happened.
As far as your limp mode speed goes, even though your gas engine was running, you were likely only being powered to the wheels by the electric motor, since the revs on the gas engine were being limited to 1200. When you took it to the dealer to have it looked at, did it start and run normally?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as your limp mode speed goes, even though your gas engine was running, you were likely only being powered to the wheels by the electric motor, since the revs on the gas engine were being limited to 1200. When you took it to the dealer to have it looked at, did it start and run normally?
Yes was fine the following morning and since but.......

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely something wonky with a sensor, I've driven multiple times in -30C (-22F) with the car sitting outside all night and no limp mode ever.

Good luck getting that sorted with the dealer, if they can't/won't do anything then contact Hyundai customer care directly so they can guide the dealer about troubleshooting from their techline.
yes thanks, they are only interested in the money

· Registered
504 Posts
Hard to believe that an error that triggered limp mode wouldn't throw a code and a check engine light. There are cars that actually have a low temperature warning light (usually they are blue) that comes on as a warning for you to let the engine warm up, but I haven't found any that prevents you from driving.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only low temperature warning I found in the manual was a "low system temperature" warning for the plug in hybrid, but it doesn't mention anything about going into limp mode.
View attachment 478194
Thanks for checking into that, I don't have a PHEV, just regular hybrid. What really doesn't make sense if this was a correct trigger is why wouldn't they code the ice motor to stay at idle until warm and only use battery power? It's not I was asking anything more than to go 35-40 but the vehicle took all potential power away.

· Registered
504 Posts
The hybrid always starts out in electric mode. I am guessing that because your rpm was being limited to protect the engine, the engine power never transferred to the wheels. The electric motor only has about 50 hp, so your speed would be limited by that. If you had gradually gained momentum by feathering the gas, you might have been able to gradually gain more speed, but that would also drain your battery faster. I think once the limp mode is set, the only way to cancel it out is to reboot the car.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The hybrid always starts out in electric mode. I am guessing that because your rpm was being limited to protect the engine, the engine power never transferred to the wheels. The electric motor only has about 50 hp, so your speed would be limited by that. If you had gradually gained momentum by feathering the gas, you might have been able to gradually gain more speed, but that would also drain your battery faster. I think once the limp mode is set, the only way to cancel it out is to reboot the car.
Whether I feathered or not the car would not go above 20mph. I'm not interested in having to shut it down and lose the code even though that's what happened.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks
It would be the throttle body or the throttle body sensor...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts