Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was putting a bowling ball onto the back floor, and accidentally dropped it onto the plastic trim from about 6 inches up. it’s the trim that goes around the entire rear door in the inside.

The plastic part is probably inexpensive, but does anyone know if the labor charge will be high?

And should I be going to a body shop, or is this something any Hyundai dealer should be able to take care of?

I feel really stupid, but am laughing at myself too. So if anyone wants to make any jokes or sarcastic remarks, I’m ok with that. Just hoping it’s not an expensive or complicated repair. Won’t be laughing so much then.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Most plastic trims just clip off so I don't think there's much involved. Best keep the bowling for the bowling centre next time.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Stuff happens, with my first new car got in the front seat with a screwdriver in my back pocket, will never do that again. Talk about a huge cut in the back of the front seat.

Use to set pins back in the 50's, automation took that job away from us. Two leagues, 60 lines, 120 pins per line, 7,200 pins to pick up,up to 2,800 bowling balls to pick up and send back.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It should just clip in. You can probably replace it yourself if you can get the part. Or if you can remove it, you can glue it back together and put it back in. Pictures?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m lazy, but I’ll try to take a picture later to share. The ball actually knocked out a small hole about 1/2 inch wide and 1 inch long. And I have the piece and thought about crazy gluing it back in place.

But it’s been kind of cold last couple days, so I haven’t lingered. And it’s always been at night when I’ve thought about it. One of these days I’ll see how feasible gluing the piece back will be (presuming there aren’t other smaller pieces missing).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here’s a picture. Notice the dent in the darker trim on the left? Did that a couple months ago with a bowling ball too. ☹

·
Registered
157 Posts
That on the left side is a easy fix, looks like its just pushed under the other trim piece.
The other part, should just snap out with a pry tool, make sure to use those plastic ones.
Might be able to find it at a junk yard from a totaled out car for almost nothing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I’ll probably still look into paying Hyundai to fix it. But interested in all options... especially if Hyundai wants some ridiculous amount of money to fix it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a picture with the chipped out piece back in place. I’d have to use crazy glue or something to keep it in place, but not sure that will work. Visually, though, does it look good enough this way to let it be?

Actually more concerned about moisture getting in there and causing corrosion, than the aesthetics. Anyway... here’s the pic:

·
Registered
731 Posts
It looks like you could remove the piece. I would remove it before gluing it. If you are able to use a quick-setting glue, you can hold it together with your hands for five minutes and then leave it to set overnight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts