Hyundai Forums banner

Damage from accident

6K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Hueydriver 
#1 ·
Driving on the interstate last Friday in a pretty good rain when suddenly all the cars in front of me jammed on their brakes. I did the same and pulled as close to the guardrail as I could on my left but still sustained damage on the right side. I don't even know exactly how the damage occurred because everything happened so quick. Considering there were at least 15 other vehicles involved and every other vehicle around me had heavy damage, I got lucky.

Has anybody had to get their new Sonata repaired? I worry about them being able to match the paint as I know from experience that matching these colors perfectly today with the heavy metallic is almost impossible. Not to mention the availability of parts. Car only has 3500 miles on it 🙁

See less See more
#9 ·
I had to replace the side mirror on my 2017 Optima SXL. $575 not-installed or painted. Hope the mirror here isn't nearly as expensive! My colored cover wasn't damanaged, just the rest of the mirror so I reused it and didn't have to paint, and a buddy of mine had the tools and patience to replace it for me for a couple beers :)

#10 ·
About a year ago I bought a used 2016 Elantra that was in accident when it was roughly a year old. It appears that new body panels were used and they were painted in the factory. I don't know if this possible but I can't see any evidence they were painted in a body shop.

#13 ·
Just trying to perform a root cause analysis. This accident being in August , its fair to assume that snow or ice did not contribute. Too many drivers these days fail to acknowledge their contributions to fender benders. Dont think your post contributes much to the discussion .

#14 ·
Lol....let's look at his very first sentence.
"Driving on the interstate last Friday in a pretty good rain when suddenly all the cars in front of me jammed on their brakes."
Pretty sure your "root cause" is listed right there. No where did I see him "fail to acknowledge his contribution" to the accident.
Poor guy had an accident in his new car, and regardless of fault, is looking for some recommendations, not someone to analyze the accident.

#20 ·
Lol....let's look at his very first sentence.
"Driving on the interstate last Friday in a pretty good rain when suddenly all the cars in front of me jammed on their brakes."
Pretty sure your "root cause" is listed right there. No where did I see him "fail to acknowledge his contribution" to the accident.
Poor guy had an accident in his new car, and regardless of fault, is looking for some recommendations, not someone to analyze the accident.
.CConklin1, I was going to say the same thing but I will just second your reply/comment to Miningman1. Being he came back with the same song & dance, I don't think he is teachable. We are talking to a dickhead.

Reactions: cconklin1 and xaran
#16 ·
Everybody was driving below the posted speed limit due to the rain and I personally had more space than usual between myself and the vehicle in front of me considering it was heavy afternoon traffic on an interstate. There was simply no avoiding this one. Every single vehicle around me sustained heavy damage (see pictures). Including an F-250 towing a large travel trailer which was either directly behind me or two vehicles behind me. Thankfully (for me, selfishly) he decided to swerve across the lanes of traffic, took the side of his trailer off when he hit the corner of a tractor trailer and proceeded to slam into other vehicles.

I was as close to the guardrail on my left as I could get without making contact. Literally only a few inches away from it and my right passenger mirror was actually touching the bed of a truck to my right. I had to back up to even get out of my car.

It was one of those times where it was immediately obvious that contact would be made and I just had to hope things didn't turn out horribly. Thankfully I got extremely lucky and came away with far less damage than vehicles around me.
Transport Vehicle Commercial vehicle Road Asphalt

It was terrifying looking in the rear view mirror after I had come to a stop and seeing that tractor trailer wrecking and wondering if he was going to make it up to me.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Crash Transport Car

That is the tractor trailer the F-250 hit with his trailer at the least.
Vehicle Transport Waterway Road Asphalt

I was originally between the guardrail and that white Ram. There is a car sandwiched between that white Ram and the work truck in front of him.
Motor vehicle Transport Vehicle Mode of transport Crash

The F-250's front end was smashed back to the front wheels. We had to sit on the interstate so long waiting for all the vehicles to be cleared that the rain stopped and the sun had come out.

#19 ·
A good body shop can match the perfectly. Most colors have more then one variation on shade. Sprayouts help with the perfect match.

#21 ·
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I hope your're able to get it back in perfect shape.
I had someone hit my passenger side - side mirror pretty hard. My local body shop is very good at blending surfaces so trust they'll do a good job. They mentioned it would be isolated to maybe a 6-8 inches from where the side mirror housing attaches to the body. Chrome strip, mirror assembly, paint and labor. Approx $1400.
Mirror assembly - $350
Chrome window belt strip - $90
Blind Spot Detection recalibration (BSD needed when replacing parts) - $325
Rest is paint and labor.

Attachments

#22 ·
Sorry to hear about your bad luck as well.

My car has been in the body shop since Monday. They called today and said they have had to order 3 right front fenders and 2 front passenger doors from Hyundai because the ones being sent to them have damage right out of the box. The front passenger door they don't expect in until Friday.

Damage estimate for mine is at $5,700 now that they took everything apart.

Just crossing my fingers everything turns out great 🤞

#26 ·
Thankfully my repairs turned out very well. The body shop did a good job. I'm sure if I looked close enough I could tell a difference (I'm very observant) but I would have to look extremely hard. So I'm pleased. If the body shop knows what they are doing you should be good. Best of luck in getting it repaired!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.