Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE and last week I was on the highway, going up a hill (long but not very steep), and the car started shuddering, and as I suspected, my OBD2 scanner showed cylinder 1 misfiring. So I pulled off to the shoulder, waited a couple minutes and started the car again. No shuddering, no CEL, so I continued driving to my destination…no more misfiring.

Then, several days later, with no misfiring since, I was (again) driving up a long, not very steep highway incline (not the same one), and cylinder 1 started misfiring again. So, since turning my car off and waiting a few minutes worked last time, I tried it again. Sure enough, it hasn’t misfired since then.

Why does it only seem to misfire on long inclines, only at high speeds (60+ mph)? Very peculiar…thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Why does it only seem to misfire on long inclines, only at high speeds (60+ mph)? Very peculiar…thanks in advance!
Those conditions produce enough heat or load. I am thinking there is a short somewhere between a coil and the spark plug. I could be wrong. Since no one knows for sure, I recently replaced my spark plugs. All had very little torque. Three with deposits. One looked normal. Put a new coil and code reader in the trunk in case I have the issue you are having. I have the same year and model as you. A coil can be swapped out in less than 5 minutes once you know how to unclip the wiring harness.

·
Registered
2017 Elantra 2.0 SE non turbo
9 Posts
I have a 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE and last week I was on the highway, going up a hill (long but not very steep), and the car started shuddering, and as I suspected, my OBD2 scanner showed cylinder 1 misfiring. So I pulled off to the shoulder, waited a couple minutes and started the car again. No shuddering, no CEL, so I continued driving to my destination…no more misfiring.

Then, several days later, with no misfiring since, I was (again) driving up a long, not very steep highway incline (not the same one), and cylinder 1 started misfiring again. So, since turning my car off and waiting a few minutes worked last time, I tried it again. Sure enough, it hasn’t misfired since then.

It seems like there is a serious problem with these engines.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I’ve heard common problems with Hyundais are engines and transmissions.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Yeah, I’ve heard common problems with Hyundais are engines and transmissions.
Some of the engines and transmissions are trouble free. So far my Elantra has been great. You will see repeat buyers based on a great experience. It does seems the coils/and or the plugs can be weak links that could lead to bigger problems on this generation. I have not heard of any issues with the 6 speed transmission. That being said I do not trust Hyundai enough to recommend the brand.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some of the engines and transmissions are trouble free. So far my Elantra has been great. You will see repeat buyers based on a great experience. It does seems the coils/and or the plugs can be weak links that could lead to bigger problems on this generation. I have not heard of any issues with the 6 speed transmission. That being said I do not trust Hyundai enough to recommend the brand.
My 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE started hard shifting at 31k miles. Even after a transmission fluid change. It’s not throwing any codes, and Hyundai says it’s normal. I’ll never buy another Hyundai again.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
My 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE started hard shifting at 31k miles. Even after a transmission fluid change. It’s not throwing any codes, and Hyundai says it’s normal. I’ll never buy another Hyundai again.
That sucks. Knock on wood my transmission shifts like butter. I agree with the last sentience. Just do not know if it will be reliable.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Elantra SE 2.0L 6Speed
33 Posts
I would recommend this thread as well. Similar issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This has nothing to do with the engines being bad, particularly these 2.0 engines are good. It's the electronic parts, the spark plugs and coil packs that have issues. Change to an aftermarket coils and spark plugs and you'll be good

1 - 11 of 11 Posts