Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
See attached jpegs.

First jpeg is an illustration of Hyundai's CV joint remover for 1st and 2nd gen Elantras, Sonatas, and Accents.

Part # = 09495-22000-A.

Can someone post an actual (complete) picture of it ... and explain how it works?

Is it for outer CV joints?

The illustration has the tool wrapped around the joint housing. Odd.

Second jpeg is an actual picture. Non-Hyundai-specific CV joint puller.

This tool tightens against the (inner part of the) axle via the 2 horizontal rectangular "jaws" ... and (then) the axle lock nut and washer are screwed onto the end of the outer CV joint itself (against the opposite end of the tool) until the cir-clip resistance is overcome, thereby walking/separating the outer joint from the axle.

This particular picture appears to be Chinesebrand.

Does Hyundai Service Solutions have this type of puller?

What is the Hyundai part # for this type of puller?

What other USA brands and parts #s exist that work as the Chineseone does?

Can't find any ... not even Snap-On ...

Hyundai CV joint remover.jpg

CV joint remover.jpg

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
When I replaced both left and right CV half axles, I never needed a CV joint puller.
The CV joint at the wheel comes out by knocking on the CV where the castle nut is
The otherside, near the tranny, pops out with a pry bar.
I actually just yanked mine out instead of using a pry bar.

Guess they might help if the CV was stuck??

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, so answers to original questions.

First jpeg. How it works? For outer? Is not intended for on-car service; intended to be placed into stationary vise. Outer and/or inner. Tool generally not available.

Second jpeg. HSS have? Part #? Other brands? HSS does not have. HSS part # N/A. Sealey VS710, Laser Tools 4719, Scangrip, Tool Hub 3967, Draper 85644 or SSK16, Neilsen CT3384, EWK EB0177, and DBNTools. Most are from and in UK, though last 2 are Chinese with some stateside inventory. P J Allen Export Services handles Sealey's international sales. Scangrip no longer manufactures nor sells. EWK has inventory in CA and NY. After dialoguing with the companies and obtaining specs, went with Laser Tools. It had the best welds - around the entire mating surfaces of the ring - and had ample ID ring clearance, ample inner arm width, ample ring-to-jaw length, plenty of adjustability, thick jaws, thick arms, thick ring. All brands had similar ring ID, inner arm width, ring-to-jaw lengths, studs and bolts. Arm hole counts varied between 7 and 9.

Avoids dead-blow/hammer hits on inner race and housing which become an issue over long periods of time and can in short-term if inner retaining ring is stuck on splines or no longer collapsing or expanding; avoids sliding hammer approach where that setup is more involved and cumbersome and requires 2 or more people after configured (to keep the axle and joint and sliding hammer aligned on the same plane and whereby the axle threads easily can be damaged) and requires axle counter-resistance (while the hammer is slammed outward); avoids entire axle removal; avoids entire axle replacement.

1-person job, on-car, easy, quick, preserves axles.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I just bang a cold chisel in between the inner cv casing and the gearbox casing; they pop out really easily. Not found one yet that needs any sort of puller.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts