Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Santa fed with 37,000 miles. went in for an oil change and ended up needing 1 k of work done. Then i was told i’ll need cv joint (axel boot) leaking grease from the boot. Is this possible with such low mileage and how would I know if dealer is being honest with me? Thank You outbackjs

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
The mileage is low but after 7 years it's possible the boot may have cracked. Premature in my books but not impossible. I had heard of an unscrupulous workshop making a practice of putting a small cut in the boot then saying it needs to be replaced but that was only one shop. What was done for 1K at 37,000 miles?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Yeah, no mention of the work done for 1k.
Would consider doing the work of replacing the boot yourself??

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah, no mention of the work done for 1k.
Would consider doing the work of replacing the boot yourself??
Just because the boot is torn that does not mean the CV joint is bad. There are after market split boots that can be installed without even taking the CV joint apart.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
There are also stretch boots where you put a tough plastic bag over the joint and stretch the boot over. There is a special tool to stretch the boot but I have seen it done by hand.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Just because the boot is torn that does not mean the CV joint is bad. There are after market split boots that can be installed without even taking the CV joint apart.

I didn't say to replace the CV joint.
I said to replace the boot.
A split boot is rather easy to do when working on the bench
If you have to do it when under the car then it is a little more difficult.
Especially when it comes time to replace the grease in the boot
And then to seal the boot.
The ones that pull over may require removing the CV joint.
And at that stage, I would more than likely say that replacing the CV axle is easier

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Belts, hoses, power steering fluid flush, filters and pcv valve, oil pan leak, oil change, tire rotation.

·
Registered
387 Posts
With the dealer prices quoted, I got the impression that there was no way it was not going to be a full CV replacement, whether it needed it or not. They want to run up that bill. None of my vehicles ever sees the inside of the dealership except for (free) recalls.
I didn't say to replace the CV joint.
I said to replace the boot.
A split boot is rather easy to do when working on the bench
If you have to do it when under the car then it is a little more difficult.
Especially when it comes time to replace the grease in the boot
And then to seal the boot.
The ones that pull over may require removing the CV joint.
And at that stage, I would more than likely say that replacing the CV axle is easier

1 - 9 of 9 Posts