Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda surprised me more than anything, but just had both CV Joint assemblies replaced this past week on my '11 Limited.

First started noticing a rumbling, grinding noise in the front driver's side on right hand turns while accelerating a couple months ago. Was very light, but gradually got worse over time. Got it into the dealer a little over a week ago, and they said there was excessive play in the right axle/cv assembly. They replaced it under warranty.

Fixed the problem for the most part, but I was still having the issue on harder right turns and entering an on-ramp and accelerating. Felt like I was driving over a rumble strip and the wheel wanted to rip off! Took it back, and they replaced the left axle/cv assembly. Except this time they tell me a clip inside had broken and the left axle had actually pulled out from the transmission.

I'm no mechanic by any means, but this just boggled my mind. Not sure how this happened, let alone to both axles??? I never hit any curbs or potholes or anything hard, I drive casual for the most part, but punch the pedal from time to time for a little fun but nothing crazy.

Tech said they had a Santa Fe in recently for the same problem, and really couldn't say why the clips were breaking, or how the axles developed excessive play and needed to be replaced.

Has anyone heard of a TSB or any ongoing issues with the axle/cv joint assemblies?

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
So you got "the shaft" too!! :D Just kidding

I also had both of my CVs replaced within 5K of each other. One had a broken boot (left) and the other clicked when backing up (right).

I do not think that there is a TSB/recall or anything on them, just that there was a bad batch that was installed on a production run of Sonatas before being caught.

My car is a May 2010 mfg so its an early production model. I would guess that yours is too, so that could be why we have both had CV replacements. Other members that have had issues usually only require one shaft to be replaced.

Additionally, I drive somewhat spirited so my axles probably took a beating and wore out a bit earlier. 100K is about the life of any CV axle (from my experience) and both of mine were done by 75K. Your car probably has less miles than mine.

The fact that one was actually out of the transmission is very concerning. I would have pressed the dealer harder on why that occurred. CVs do not "slip" out---the shafts have splines that mate up with the tranny and usually develop a nice seal overtime. Usually you have to have a puller to get them off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not totally sure how extreme the axle being dislodged from the transmission was, but I'm feeling it wasn't good either. Got dumped on with snow around my way so I can't really test drive it any time soon.

Mine was mfg. March 2011, and I only have just under 23K on it, so that's why I was a little surprised. I suppose I could have bugged the tech more about it, but I really couldn't get anything more out of him other than what he stated. I get the impression he really didn't know how it happened. He did say that a clip, or something along that line, had broken off and the axle slipped out of the transmission. And rather than just put it back in place and install a new clip, they opted to replace the entire assembly so it wouldn't create a new problem down the road.

Oddly, the car ran absolutely smooth and normally in all aspects, except accelerating out of hard right turn, or jumping on an on-ramp and hitting the gas on a long right turn. So that's where I'm not sure how bad the situation was.

I wonder if the torque/acceleration has that much to do with the breakdown of the assemblies? I do drive with a heavy foot on the highways, and this started to occur not long after making frequent trips to Penn State where my daughter just started - and the college is surrounded by mountains. A lot of long hills. Not sure if it's coincidence, or the culprit.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I'm not totally sure how extreme the axle being dislodged from the transmission was, but I'm feeling it wasn't good either. Got dumped on with snow around my way so I can't really test drive it any time soon.

Mine was mfg. March 2011, and I only have just under 23K on it, so that's why I was a little surprised. I suppose I could have bugged the tech more about it, but I really couldn't get anything more out of him other than what he stated. I get the impression he really didn't know how it happened. He did say that a clip, or something along that line, had broken off and the axle slipped out of the transmission. And rather than just put it back in place and install a new clip, they opted to replace the entire assembly so it wouldn't create a new problem down the road.

Oddly, the car ran absolutely smooth and normally in all aspects, except accelerating out of hard right turn, or jumping on an on-ramp and hitting the gas on a long right turn. So that's where I'm not sure how bad the situation was.

I wonder if the torque/acceleration has that much to do with the breakdown of the assemblies? I do drive with a heavy foot on the highways, and this started to occur not long after making frequent trips to Penn State where my daughter just started - and the college is surrounded by mountains. A lot of long hills. Not sure if it's coincidence, or the culprit.

Yes torque will set off the vibrations of a bad CV more than constant rotation. I am no scientist on this but I think its due to the amount of kinetic energy transferred to the joint from a stop or low speed. Hills and grades require more energy output from the drivetrain so therefore more energy transfer via the joint to the wheels. Corners also do this because the tire on the side of the car going into the turn rotates slower than the one on the opposing side.

Back when I was full of piss and vinegar, my parents owned a 90 Chevy Lumina with way-past-destroyed CV joints. The symptoms you describe mirror the experience riding in that car. Dad and I replaced both axles (using that puller I mentioned) and the problem went away.

I looked over the service manual for the YF and did not see any clips holding the joints to the transmission output shafts. Maybe sbr711 will chime in on this as he/she is a tech. But the explanation given by your dealer is not sufficient.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes torque will set off the vibrations of a bad CV more than constant rotation. I am no scientist on this but I think its due to the amount of kinetic energy transferred to the joint from a stop or low speed. Hills and grades require more energy output from the drivetrain so therefore more energy transfer via the joint to the wheels. Corners also do this because the tire on the side of the car going into the turn rotates slower than the one on the opposing side.

Back when I was full of piss and vinegar, my parents owned a 90 Chevy Lumina with way-past-destroyed CV joints. The symptoms you describe mirror the experience riding in that car. Dad and I replaced both axles (using that puller I mentioned) and the problem went away.

I looked over the service manual for the YF and did not see any clips holding the joints to the transmission output shafts. Maybe sbr711 will chime in on this as he/she is a tech. But the explanation given by your dealer is not sufficient.
Thanks Adogg for the insight. It's sounding more odd than anything else! For the future, I guess I need to take it easy driving the highways thru the mountains, and watch my dead starts and corners.....anything to help avoid replacing the assemblies in another 22K, out of warranty!:eek: I wonder if the torque is a bit much for the quality of parts involved perhaps.....just flipping ideas here!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
You never know with OEM stuff. Although, my one concern when the Turbo was first announced was if they were going to strengthen the internals and drivetrain to take the extra HP and torque of the turbo.

Apparently, Hyundai just swapped out the 2.4 for the 2.0 and crossed their fingers. From what I see, every single piece besides the engines will interchange between the NA and Turbo cars.

Now, its only about a 76 hp/85 lb ft difference. But if the OEM specs are right at the limit for the 2.4, then the 2.0 will overwork them to premature failure.

Really, who knows?

The good thing is that you got the car back with brand new parts. Don't worry too much about it and enjoy that screamin' Sonata. Drive it like you stole it, if the mood hits you! Just know that there are many other TurboNata owners here that have high miles on their cars and are still enjoying them with little or no issues.

As a 2.4 owner, I am red with jealousy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2011 Sonata with 59,000 just needed both front axles replaced.It was making the clicking sound when backing out of a parking space.The dealer told me they are aware of the issue,why don't they recall it then?The service writer said its known that the factory when built didn't put enough grease inside the boots.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Edge. You were lucky to get your CV joints replaced under warranty at 23 000 km. One of mine only made 21 000 in my i30 and I was told the warranty was void after 20 000 km! Now the second one is getting really noisy at around 28 000 km and the boot is fine and there is no sign of leaked grease so I think these parts must be suspect. Have your replacements solved the noise problem?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Edge. You were lucky to get your CV joints replaced under warranty at 23 000 km. One of mine only made 21 000 in my i30 and I was told the warranty was void after 20 000 km! Now the second one is getting really noisy at around 28 000 km and the boot is fine and there is no sign of leaked grease so I think these parts must be suspect. Have your replacements solved the noise problem?

So far, everything has been fine. All is well, no noise or rough ride. I'm looking at the tail end of my warranty (done next mid-April), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and driving much more smoothly these days to avoid a repeat repair! I've been more responsible on hard turns and drives around the mountain region near me. Still have fun with the turbo, but quality of the parts is always in the back of my mind!

I've only logged 12,000 miles since that replacement 1-1/2 years ago. Now sitting at 35k total. So I'm not sure if it was defective parts, poor assembly, or driving habits.

A side note: Since replacing the stock tires a few months back with my Continental PureContact Eco's, I just clipped 36mpg on the highway!:smile: 34.6pmg was my previous best with the OEM Hankook's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to get my CV joints replaced at 23k miles in my 2011 Sonata. I am now at 68k miles and they have to be replaced again. Seems odd there is no recall on this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have an appointment to replace my Axel, cv, boot for the second time. First about 40k, now at 60k. Still under warranty thankfully, but nobody can tell me why they keep failing. I love my car, 2012 Hyundai sonatas gls, but wonder if I dare keep it pass the 100k warranty.

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
Have an appointment to replace my Axel, cv, boot for the second time. First about 40k, now at 60k. Still under warranty thankfully, but nobody can tell me why they keep failing. I love my car, 2012 Hyundai sonatas gls, but wonder if I dare keep it pass the 100k warranty.
I assume you meant axle and not Axel Rose of Guns N Roses. Because replacing Axel would be a big challenge. :p
Is it the same axle (driver or passenger side) that was previously replaced?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Warranty void?????

That's very suspect to me since it is part of the power train 100K warranty! I'd be talking to Hyundai if I were you. I don't understand unless the warranties are different in Africa? I'd be shocked if that were the case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's very suspect to me since it is part of the power train 100K warranty! I'd be talking to Hyundai if I were you. I don't understand unless the warranties are different in Africa? I'd be shocked if that were the case.
Hi Himilcyclr

I like your thinking on the power train. Customer service in South Africa keeps associating the CV joint with a bearing warranty and ignoring the fact that the whole drive shaft is attached to it which I was forced to purchase at around $1000. I will make some inquiries on power train warranty. Now they think the front shocks may be causing the noise rather than the second drive shaft. I am not surprised that people resort to hellopeter.com! Is there a global Hyundai customer service that I can appeal to?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Montanarose

Did you have to replace the shaft with CV joint or just the boot?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts