Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inside boot on my right CV joint tore last spring. Given the price of the axle, I let it go until the joint started making noise. I ordered a new axle (not a rebuild), which I should have by the end of the week.

The last time I replaced a CV was 20+ years ago. I have the Hyundai Azera manual, and it looks straight forward. Any nuisancesthat I should be aware of? Can I do this without taking the tie rod off? I'd like to avoid that.

The car has done well by me - 158k and this will be my first major repair. Replacing the spark plugs was a pain, but i don't consider that a repair, but maintenance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The inside boot on my right CV joint tore last spring. Given the price of the axle, I let it go until the joint started making noise. I ordered a new axle (not a rebuild), which I should have by the end of the week.

The last time I replaced a CV was 20+ years ago. I have the Hyundai Azera manual, and it looks straight forward. Any nuisancesthat I should be aware of? Can I do this without taking the tie rod off? I'd like to avoid that.

The car has done well by me - 158k and this will be my first major repair. Replacing the spark plugs was a pain, but i don't consider that a repair, but maintenance.
Just to follow up

it was an easy job took me five hours but I changed the transmission fluid and repacked bearings. Would have gone faster had I the right tool to reattach the shock and u arm. Used a winch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is my turn to do a CV joint replacement (torn boot). Any advice/gotcha's besides the tool to reattach the shock & u-arm? Do you have more details on those tools?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CVJ replacement.

you will need jack the car up on car jacks. Makes the whole job just easier. You'll need a large socket that till fit the hub. I used a monkey wrench with a pipe, but that only worked because I have a high quality wrench.

When you pull the CVJ out of the transaxle, a lot of trans fluid will come out. you should plan on dropping the pan and just drain it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts