97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum!

I would be replacing CV axles soon.
There are several options to choose from:
1) OEM, about $600 parts only
2) Amazon offers a pair of BuyAutoParts for $180
3) and a pair of DRIVE TECH AMERICA for $170

Could you share your experiences using OEM/non-OEM axles?

By the way, which part number is correct (revised) for 2011 2.4?
- Axle Assembly Left[driver] 49500-3Q300
- Axle Assembly Left[driver] 49500-3S000
- Axle Assembly Right[pass] 49501-3Q360
- Axle Assembly Right[pass] 49501-3S070

https://www.hyundaioemparts.com/auto-parts/2011/hyundai/sonata/gls-trim/2-4l-l4-gas-engine/front-drive-axle-cat/axle-shafts-and-joints-scat

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you have a torn boot for a while then I would recommend Autozone or other local parts store with best warranty. This way, if it does not fit, its easy to return. No way I would pay for an oem cv axle. Its a used car and cv axles should only cost about 100 a piece. This is where AZ makes it worthwhile. Should the boot gets torn again, you can get a new one for free. I have replaced just the boot, but you have to catch the tear really early.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I recommend import direct CV axle from local Oreilly auto parts. They perfectly fit with lifetime warranty. Before that I got a cheap axle online, it came with thicker c clip that harder to install and started to make clicking noise after 6 month. So don't go cheap.

There are 2 different sets of axles, one is for manual and another is for auto transmission, you can't go wrong from local part shops

But after all, make sure if you really need new axles. Besides noise, they have nothing to do with suspension or acceleration until they are seriously bad like vibration

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'll throw my .02 in here, if you have Prime and they have Detroit Axle (not sure) at Amazon, that would be an easy return. Rock Auto charged me restocking even though I contested it. If it is the wrong part with the correct part number from their supplier...you're screwed! :wallbash:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'll throw my .02 in here, if you have Prime and they have Detroit Axle (not sure) at Amazon, that would be an easy return. Rock Auto charged me restocking even though I contested it. If it is the wrong part with the correct part number from their supplier...you're screwed! :wallbash:

They've sent me a shipping label to return incorrect merchandise, no charge.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for your opinions everyone!

Looks like the most reasonable option would be non-OEM parts installed by some local shop with warranty.
For instance, AAA Approved Auto Repair seems like a good deal:
- "Repairs guaranteed up to 24 months or 24,000 miles by the facility."
- "Save 10% on parts and labor (up to $50)"
https://apps.calif.aaa.com/aceapps/automotive/aar

BTW, the reason for replacement is not worn boots but rather annoying clicking sounds and vibration during acceleration.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Read my statement again...slowly.

I did, you said you received wrong part with correct number you're screwed.
Prove wrong part and it will be free, been down that road. They sent me a trans mount as listed in their catalogue and it actually was a motor mount, returned free.
I guess it's just you!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Read my statement again...slowly.
Let's go real slow:

Rock Auto charged me restocking even though I contested it. If it is the wrong part with the correct part number from their supplier...you're screwed!

Had trans mount shipped to me that was the correct part number, but a motor mount arrived in the box. Now read slowly, they issued me a shipping label and the unit was returned no charge.
Guess it must be you.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
They aren't willing to take someone's word or "waste" their time doing research on the dimensions of a manufacturer's change in production. To them, if you are sent a sealed box (I guess I should have told them the seal was broken) with the correct number...you're SOL!
My experience, and I have hear this from other folks who buy a lot more than I do. They lie and get the refund and free return.

By the way...what is this? "
"
(and who's Sandra?)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Yes, I knew that...I was asking her or him the question! :whistling:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I believe I knew that too...possible you should have kept your nose elsewhere?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I know there's a GIF coming for me!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I believe I knew that too...possible you should have kept your nose elsewhere?

Nah.

Maybe you shouldn't ask questions that invade peoples privacy whether or not you were expecting a response? You have a bad habit of not being able to decipher what is appropriate internet protocol.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Nah.

Maybe you shouldn't ask questions that invade peoples privacy whether or not you were expecting a response? You have a bad habit of not being able to decipher what is appropriate internet protocol.
You are obviously inept at understanding people's motives...when they are asking questions tongue-in-cheek, or being sarcastic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts