Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I tried to change the drivers side front CV axle.

I went to the local O'Reilly, and picked up a HY-8114 axle - as determined by their computer system.

Spent 2+ hours trying to install it, and then (eventually) used a micrometer to compare it to the old axle. The old axle was about 3-5mm smaller in diameter, so the new one just won't fit into the hole.

Any ideas what's going on? I left the old axle with the people at my local OReilly so that they can compare it with the ones they have coming in; they ordered two new axles today (one new, one remanufactured), and both of those are too large also.

Frustrating, because I now have a dead car until I can get it fixed...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Unfortunately that's what happens when you go to a sub par auto parts store like O'Reilly's instead of going down to NAPA Auto Parts
20 N Main St, Clearfield, UT.

Did O'Reilly's even ask you for the engine size? A lot of places don't and you end up with the wrong parts. They just assume based on what they have in stock and what is easier for them to sell.

While my opinions may not be shared by everyone, I get enough calls from people that are looking for the correct parts because another place gave them the wrong parts. I work at Napa.

I can't guarantee that your local Napa would have the correct size part, but if you're trying different parts from the same place and they are all wrong then clearly someone is doing something wrong so you should look elsewhere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Each to their own; I've had better luck with the local O'Reilly in Clinton, UT, than any of the myriad other local stores (including the four other OReilly's within 15 minutes driving). NAPA is a franchise system, and the Clearfield one isn't the most friendly or helpful.

OReilly *did* ask for all the details on the car, and I was getting confirmation from other places (Autozone, Advance, Amazon) that it was the correct part number. But it didn't fit.

Wayne, the manager at my local O'Reilly, had another three (different) Hyundai Axles delivered to the store by the time I got down there after work. We compared them all, and found that (oddly enough) an axle from a FWD Santa Fe was the exact match (mine is NOT 2WD). It's all in now and working.

Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
So yesterday I tried to change the drivers side front CV axle.

I went to the local O'Reilly, and picked up a HY-8114 axle - as determined by their computer system.

Spent 2+ hours trying to install it, and then (eventually) used a micrometer to compare it to the old axle. The old axle was about 3-5mm smaller in diameter, so the new one just won't fit into the hole.

Any ideas what's going on? I left the old axle with the people at my local OReilly so that they can compare it with the ones they have coming in; they ordered two new axles today (one new, one remanufactured), and both of those are too large also.

Frustrating, because I now have a dead car until I can get it fixed...
You sure it wasn't a bent c-clip that prevented you from installing the axles? I've done three aftermarket axles this last month and each and every one of them came with a c-clip that wasn't round. I just took the old c-clip off the old axel and put it on the new. I would never have been able to install the new axels with the c-clip that came with them. They were out of round(kind of flattened on two sides that prevented them from being inserted into the housing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts