Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been completely enthused in the auto-performance world for the last couple of months, and want nothing more than to embellish my Sonata that I love. Discouraged at the lack of performance aftermarket parts, I cracked and went completely custom on my short-ram intake for my 2008 2.4 Sonata.

Here's a nice pic, let me know what you guys think!

http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/c...nt=SAM_0026.jpg

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
looks intmidating. Very well done. Wish I could do something that nice w/ my 6 cyl. I just took off the filtee box and clamped a cone to the MAF. =/

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
QUOTE (cbk41 @ Jul 2 2010, 02:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338152
I have been completely enthused in the auto-performance world for the last couple of months, and want nothing more than to embellish my Sonata that I love. Discouraged at the lack of performance aftermarket parts, I cracked and went completely custom on my short-ram intake for my 2008 2.4 Sonata.

Here's a nice pic, let me know what you guys think!

http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/c...nt=SAM_0026.jpg
Looks good, but maybe you should look at this. Could potentially be bad, but according to one, he doesn't have problems... One problem I do see is that the pipe is kindof small... it looks like 2" maybe 2.5"... PVC is kindof thick, so the inside diameter isn't necessarily the same as the outside diameter. I'd suggest getting some exhaust pipes or some cheap ebay intercooler pipe kit and use the pvc intake as a template.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (alfu @ Jul 2 2010, 08:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338199
looks intmidating. Very well done. Wish I could do something that nice w/ my 6 cyl. I just took off the filtee box and clamped a cone to the MAF. =/
I appreciate it! It took some pretty hard work. If you want I would happily make a custom intake for you and dress it up to your specs for cheaper than any bolt on. I got laid off a month ago and have been working hard at making custom intakes for friends, and would LOVE to get my name out there.

You will be VERY impressed with the performance I promise. I LOVE turning heads and have people wondering what the heck I'm driving :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (riceR @ Jul 2 2010, 11:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338277
Looks good, but maybe you should look at this. Could potentially be bad, but according to one, he doesn't have problems... One problem I do see is that the pipe is kindof small... it looks like 2" maybe 2.5"... PVC is kindof thick, so the inside diameter isn't necessarily the same as the outside diameter. I'd suggest getting some exhaust pipes or some cheap ebay intercooler pipe kit and use the pvc intake as a template.
Yeah, just plain old PVC sitting in an engine will do bad things. However, I put 4 coats of primer, sanded inbetween, and applied 4 generous layers of high-heat ceramic engine paint.

It's pretty amazing, actually. I can floor it in 100 degree weather down here in Houston to the store and back, pop open the hood, and practically lay my cheek in my intake pipe it stays so cool.

·
Registered
988 Posts
How much would you charge to make an intake for another I4 i have an 07 with the specs that were posted before with bigger piping I’m curious

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
QUOTE (cbk41 @ Jul 3 2010, 01:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338460
Yeah, just plain old PVC sitting in an engine will do bad things. However, I put 4 coats of primer, sanded inbetween, and applied 4 generous layers of high-heat ceramic engine paint.

It's pretty amazing, actually. I can floor it in 100 degree weather down here in Houston to the store and back, pop open the hood, and practically lay my cheek in my intake pipe it stays so cool.
hmmm... not a bad idea. I should try that on mine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Supernova88642 @ Jul 3 2010, 08:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338510
How much would you charge to make an intake for another I4 i have an 07 with the specs that were posted before with bigger piping I’m curious
I will do it for $120 dollars with parts and labor. e-mail me at [email protected] if you would like to send me pics or more info. I'll go the distance and make sure your intake is the best it can be and unique, I assure you :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your intake is ingesting extremely hot air since you located the intake filter directly over the header of the Sonata. PVC lets off gas fumes when heated, that is why in plumbing it is only to be used for drainage and not direct water usage AKA your car is sucking in gases that are very harmful for the engine, are not combustible, and are coating your intake valves in slime which will lead to sticking valves.

If you want a decent intake on your I-4 you have to relocate the battery to the trunk and place the intake in the batteries place. Heat soak will be present still when in stop and go traffic, but it will be extremely less so then where you have it. Also keep in mind that hot air, really hot in your case, carries less oxygen that cooler air and thus much less horsepower.

Search my old posts for I should still have my pics up and even where to get all of the parts will costs. The intake does add much more power and also gives extremely better throttle modulation for everyone out there with manuals in their cars.

Good luck
Nick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (SomethingInHarrisburg @ Jul 3 2010, 10:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338658
Your intake is ingesting extremely hot air since you located the intake filter directly over the header of the Sonata. PVC lets off gas fumes when heated, that is why in plumbing it is only to be used for drainage and not direct water usage AKA your car is sucking in gases that are very harmful for the engine, are not combustible, and are coating your intake valves in slime which will lead to sticking valves.

If you want a decent intake on your I-4 you have to relocate the battery to the trunk and place the intake in the batteries place. Heat soak will be present still when in stop and go traffic, but it will be extremely less so then where you have it. Also keep in mind that hot air, really hot in your case, carries less oxygen that cooler air and thus much less horsepower.

Search my old posts for I should still have my pics up and even where to get all of the parts will costs. The intake does add much more power and also gives extremely better throttle modulation for everyone out there with manuals in their cars.

Good luck
Nick
It has a heatshield over the headers, and the piping has copious layers of high heat ceramic paint. The air isn't getting that hot. As I said before. I can run to the store and back and lay my cheek on my intake pipe.

Also, I plan on installing a remote fan in the huge space I gained from removing the whole air cleaner assembly by keeping it tight to the engine.

And the title IS short-ram... AKA pulling air from the engine bay. With the hood closed that is a pretty close environment and moving it 6 inches isn't going to improve anything that much and will only get in the way of future upgrades.

Now technically the stock air system pulls air from OUTSIDE the engine bay. But you don't see people loving the power and throttle response on the stock I-4s.

The air may be a tad bit hotter, but my pipes are VERY well insulated, and create far much more torque and power than stock despite the stock system pulling "cooler" air.

You can kock my system if you want, but I've put at least 20 hours of labor into including machining an aluminum bracket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, with the pain of moving the battery and using metals that have VERY HIGH heat conductance, therefore ABSORBING heat at a much, much faster rate than my ceramic-coated PVC. What's hotter, an aluminum can cooking in the sun or a piece of plastic?

My design may not be 100% perfect yet, but I will soon get there. I didn't exactly have a million sonata enthusiast and intake forums on the net to research.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a question. I was planning on just removing my airbox and popping a cone on the stock induction tube, but I found this big **** stuck on the back of my airbox. It said "Tyco" on it, which if I remember correctly, made all of the very cheap r/c cars I has as a kid. Question is: What is that thing, and is it easily relocatable?

I want you guys to know, I'm not an idiot who's completely ignorant about cars and has no business popping his own hood, and before you get mean & nasty, keep in mind I only had about 3 minutes to root about under the hood before I had to go and run errands (from the time I closed the hood until about 2 o'clock this morning.

If I get a chance between all the fireworks, and drinking, and grilling out today (Happy Independence Day, by the way, whether you're American or not, I'll still say it, just to be friendly!) to look under there again, I'll post an update. I may look again and see what it is, and that it's not actually attached to the box for all I know, but if anybody knows & sees this before I post again, just say so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (hatesmith @ Jul 4 2010, 07:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338727
I have a question. I was planning on just removing my airbox and popping a cone on the stock induction tube, but I found this big **** stuck on the back of my airbox. It said "Tyco" on it, which if I remember correctly, made all of the very cheap r/c cars I has as a kid. Question is: What is that thing, and is it easily relocatable?

I want you guys to know, I'm not an idiot who's completely ignorant about cars and has no business popping his own hood, and before you get mean & nasty, keep in mind I only had about 3 minutes to root about under the hood before I had to go and run errands (from the time I closed the hood until about 2 o'clock this morning.

If I get a chance between all the fireworks, and drinking, and grilling out today (Happy Independence Day, by the way, whether you're American or not, I'll still say it, just to be friendly!) to look under there again, I'll post an update. I may look again and see what it is, and that it's not actually attached to the box for all I know, but if anybody knows & sees this before I post again, just say so.
Hmm... interesting. As far as the 06-09 Sonatas go, The ECU computer is bolted with 4 bolts on the back of the stock airbox and is close to the firewall.

For my ECU, as my entire airbox assembly is gone, I just used a few zip ties and tied is down semi-securely so it doesn't bounce around. However I plan on bolting an "L" bracket where one of the old bolts for the airbox went and bolting the ECU to that.

I will mosy likely do that soon,. but I want to be 100% sure I can't drop a turbo in there or be certain of a remote fan location.

Happy fourth of July to you too! No need to apologize, you are just asking a question! I hope you don't get flamed on here for asking something like that too ofen.

If you need any more help, just ask. I'd like to get more experience with the 2010 model anyways :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
cbk41,
Thanks for being nice. Like I said, I had a very limited amount of time to check the situation. Sounds like we've got the same setup. I'll remove the airbox & see how easy it'll be to pop some L-brackets in there. If that'll be a pain, screw it, I'm not a kid anymore, I prefer go to show these days, I'll zip tie the little bugger to something if I have to. I just want some more air in there. I've got enough show car trophies from back-in the day to keep me happy.

·
Registered
587 Posts
That doesn't look like PVC pipe to me, it looks like ABS. I don't know whether that makes it better or worse but before people start knocking the setup because of the perceived properties of PVC pipe you might want to make sure that is actually the material involved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts