Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I finally decided to install my old JBL BP1200.1 amp into my santa fe.

Being a new father, i needed trunk room for strollers and toys, so i needed to have a small/hidden setup.

Being in the car audio business since 96 (former MECP installer), i knew i wouldnt go lower than a 15" subwoofer. Id prefer 18". You get the best bass response from the larger woofers.

I wanted to install the sub under the storage, behind the rear seats. Once the Styrofoam organizer is removed, I have my
canvas to work with. I could easily fit an 18” woofer, but the problem is depth. There is approx. 7” to work with. So taking in consideration of ¾ MDF, woofer travel (xmax) and sub depth, I only had a few choices. I ended up getting the Polk MM1540 which is a 4.5” shallow mount 15” woofer that only needs 1.5 cubic ft for the box.

I originally built the box using ½” mdf to save space, but gave the box too much flex and sounded like garbage.

So I started by running/mounting the amp. I used 2 gauge wire to hook up power and ground. The santa fe is the easiest car to run power through, even 2 gauge!!
I ran the amp high level, tapping off the factory subs’ input wires. I also found out the factory sub is a dual voice coil as well!.

So with amp wires, mounted to a piece of MDF under the carpet, I had my final box dimensions to work with. The box is approx. 24x24x6 (legs bring height to 6.5”) brings me to a total of 1.318 cubes. Add some polyfill and I get to the recommended size of 1.5.

Now with everything hooked up, the system sounds amazing. The sound almost amplifies while down firing and the rear seat bottoms almost act as a dampened port. Its one of the cleanest systems for subs ive done in a while!!

Keep in mind the pics are not finished, I still need to clean up the wiring, carpet/paint the box and vacuum, but I’d thought I’d share the progress with everyone.

Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey guys, Just an update on the progress. Instead of carpet, i ordered some gloss black laminate to wrap the box in.

If there is any interest in these boxes as well, I may also consider making them.

Frank

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did you lay down any "Dynamat" or sound absorption material in the trunk area? Wouldn't a 15" sub shake the crap out of the car? LOL
I was wondering if two 10" drivers would put out better Bass less the lower frequencies that a 15" puts out.
Great job so far though, please keep us updated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just out of curiosity, did you lay down any "Dynamat" or sound absorption material in the trunk area? Wouldn't a 15" sub shake the crap out of the car? LOL
I was wondering if two 10" drivers would put out better Bass less the lower frequencies that a 15" puts out.
Great job so far though, please keep us updated.
No dynamat on the floor, just kept the factory carpeting in place. system is 100% reversible with no holes or anything else to factory equipment.

Surprisingly, the santa fe is very solid and I have no rattles or buzzing on the outside of the car.

The box technically could house 2 10's easilym but i went with the 15 to get the lower freq. that a 15 gives, plus the factory infinity 8" gives the punchy bass.

Frank

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ultravorx, that's awesome!

I'm an old school installer from the early 90's... Always had subs in my rides from 2 - 12", a single 15", and even an 18" all Rockford with either a punch 150hd or 200. And all mids and highs Rockford too.

Can you post the wiring diagram color codes or pics of where you spiced/tapped into the wires, I've been searching for it on the net for a while, but nothing...

Sounds like you left the factory sub hooked up, am I correct? And also did you still use the factory mids and highs? I am assuming you have the infinity system, since you mentioned the factory sub.

The first time in took out the styrofoam box, I was so excited to see the space, and my mind started running with ideas of subwoofer placement....

Thanks for this post!
DOUBLE THUMBS UP!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ultravorx, that's awesome!

I'm an old school installer from the early 90's... Always had subs in my rides from 2 - 12", a single 15", and even an 18" all Rockford with either a punch 150hd or 200. And all mids and highs Rockford too.

Can you post the wiring diagram color codes or pics of where you spiced/tapped into the wires, I've been searching for it on the net for a while, but nothing...

Sounds like you left the factory sub hooked up, am I correct? And also did you still use the factory mids and highs? I am assuming you have the infinity system, since you mentioned the factory sub.

The first time in took out the styrofoam box, I was so excited to see the space, and my mind started running with ideas of subwoofer placement....

Thanks for this post!
DOUBLE THUMBS UP!
If i remember correctly, the sub wiring colors were green, yellow, black, black.
It was a DVC sub. I ended up removing the sub (only 4 extra screws) to verify the wiring colors, but i reinstalled it after. Other than that, only ran power wire. The amp auto turns on with high level signal.

I left the mids and highs alone as I didnt want to get involved in a crazy system like i used to do. It is infinity BTW. Maybe someday I'll upgrade, but for now, it sounds great!

Frank

·
Registered
34 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the info.
What you've done is exactly what I've been thinking of doing since I got my Santa Fe.
I was going to leave the mids and highs alone too. Just add a larger subwoofer with an external amp.....

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
is that a sealed box that fires down or a bandpass? Can't tell from the pics. I'm with whip............I noticed lots of room in there too!

congrats on becoming a dad ultra-best job on earth!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is that a sealed box that fires down or a bandpass? Can't tell from the pics. I'm with whip............I noticed lots of room in there too!

congrats on becoming a dad ultra-best job on earth!
Thanks! Its a sealed, down firing box. Sound travels well through the floor opening into the cab giving a nice clean rumble.

Im very happy with the setup! Even sounds good with baby Einstein, surprisingly lots of lows in those songs, lol.

Frank

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nicely done! And with the opening behind the seats, I assume no port is needed to direct the bass forward. A ported box would be needed if there was no direct avenue for sound into the passenger compartment, correct?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nicely done! And with the opening behind the seats, I assume no port is needed to direct the bass forward. A ported box would be needed if there was no direct avenue for sound into the passenger compartment, correct?
Ports only change the sound of the woofer by giving different sound characteristics to it.

Typically, sealed is considered tight and clean, and ported is boomy and sloppy.

I prefer the sealed box for my listening, but the I did find the "port" under the seat gives the ported enclosure effect, while being tight and clean.

Its the best of both worlds!

Frank

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ports only change the sound of the woofer by giving different sound characteristics to it.

Typically, sealed is considered tight and clean, and ported is boomy and sloppy.

I prefer the sealed box for my listening, but the I did find the "port" under the seat gives the ported enclosure effect, while being tight and clean.

Its the best of both worlds!

Frank
Ahh, understood. I had ported subs in one of my prior vehicles and the sub fired rearward in the trunk. The port was supposed to be to direct sound into the cabin area. I know bass is omnidirectional, but I always thought the port did direct sound to some degree. I listen to quite a bit of rock and jazz, so a tight bass note is what I would like. I may have to copy your design for a setup in my Santa Fe! I want the stealth look and really need to keep the hauling space free for miscellaneous cargo. I think I may go with a 12 though vs a 15. I know there is a lot of volume in the vehicle, but I suspect the 12 might do the trick for me. Now to dig out an old amp from the garage!
:smile:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Frank-what high level adapter did you use for the amp from the speaker wires? I've heard good thing about the Scosche brand, but just curious what you used.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Frank-what high level adapter did you use for the amp from the speaker wires? I've heard good thing about the Scosche brand, but just curious what you used.
My amp actually had the inputs built in along with a auto turn on. But really any high level adapter will work. I've never seen a bad one in my 15 years of installing.
Frank

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you put in some sort of high pass filters to the other speakers?
No, all the others were left alone, only thing i "tapped" into was the factory subwoofer to use the inputs for the amp.

Being i have a 15" sub, its nice to have the punch of the factory speakers.

Frank

1 - 20 of 27 Posts