1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looks like my injen the way it's positioned

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have installed a custom cold air intake. Relocating my filter to just behind my fog light. View attachment 78225
It would be interesting to see what the difference is in the actual temp of the air at the engine intake manifold between all these so called CAIs and the stock system. I would think taking air from about 12" above the hot pavement then passing it thru that hot metal intake piping inside the engine compartment and right behind the radiator and AC condensor would result in a net increase in air temp not a decrease from the stock system that takes air from in front of the engine and radiator and routes it thru plastic to the intake manifold.

Also, the stock system is already designed to be as efficient as possible and unless you are modifiying the fuel mapping more air is not going to give you any better mpg or performance.

Any way is sure looks nice and shiney ... at least for now;)

Larry

Larry

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well it's the plastic specter pieces that you piece together so I'm not really worried about heat saturation.
AH it looked metal and some look like they are made of at least some metal and my comment was about all the different so called CAIs which a lot get air from down around the fog light area. Maybe the difference isn't that great, but I can't see it being any better than stock only worse for the reasons I stated.

Larry

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We'll it's not like the piping is just sitting in the heat. Air movement disipates heat Driving 50mph down the road and pickin up "hot air" from just above the concrete is just not a very valid point. and for me the cold air intake is a benefit. I tossed my stock air box and under hood scoop and went short ram for the noise. Now sucking hot engine air is not the best so cold air from away from the engine + the noise gain is a win win for me

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
So whats the difference pulling the air temp wise? Has anybody put a remote temp sensor or pulled the IAT sensor using BT?

You are either pulling air from just under the hood (which has clear and free access if you look) or from a fog light area. Whats the difference?

You have more bends in the "CAI" and more accordion tubing on stock. Until someone dyno's these things on the same car it will be magazine racing at its best.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually I only have 3 bends. 90* 60* and 45* with a 6 inch straight pipe. But much less restriction. No primary or secondary air box to contend with.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It would be interesting to see what the difference also inhadhe actual temp of the air at the engine intake manifold between all these so called CAIs and the stock system. I would think taking air from about 12" above the hot pavement then passing it thru that hot metal intake piping inside the engine compartment and right behind the radiator and AC condensor would result in a net increase in air temp not a decrease from the stock system that takes air from in front of the engine radiator and routes it thru plastic to the intake manifold.

Also, the stock system is already designed to be as efficient as possible and unless you are modifiying the fuel mapping more air is not going to give you any better mpg or performance.

Any way is sure looks nice and shiney ... at least for now;)

Larry

Larry
Well I had a concept 3 cai and compared to stock (117) it was a 28 degree decease in IAT at idle [15 minute warm up] with outside temp between 79 and 88.

At a constant speed of 75 mph for 22 miles the temperature decease was 20 decease compared to the stock which would fluctuate Between between 81 and 100.

The stock intake was prone To heat soaking and temperature spikes out of nowhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts