Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys was thinking of doing this

ive just got the standard sri in my car but wanted to do a custom one and i hav a spare bonnet anyway.
what do you think?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i rather like the idea. i say give it a go. i'm not sure it would make any HP above a regular CAI, but i can certainly understand having some fun:)

this particular intake from AEM isn't as simple as it looks...it took a bit of engineering to properly design - and this is why i said you may not get any extra HP for your efforts. this design has the potential for cooler intake temperatures, but also is heavily reliant on having the correct flow rate of air, turbulence, etc.

and that's why they're proudly showing off their CAD model testing at the start of that article :p

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
You can rig up your own kind of air ducting/cooling system. I plan on doing something like that. Remember that if you create smaller "holes" for the air to go through, it speeds the air up and the faster the air is moving, the cooler it'll be, so it'll likely be more beneficial to have a honeycomb funnel versus a fully open funnel, for example.

Anyways, there is some dynamite engineering going on with that AEM intake, but you can certainly build something helpful on your own with a small budget.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea now to get the time and money to do this mini project

·
Registered
81 Posts
i made a similar setup of CAI... in my i57 K&N Filter... instead of taking the air from hood, i put in from the front bumper behind the fog lamp.
instead of putting the filter in horizontal way, i made it top side down with a plastic container around it to protect from the heat and at the same time i run the stretchable tube from front bumper to the filter(i put hole in the container to slot-in the tube)...

my initial feel is that the acceleration is not that great compared to stock SRI layout of i57(i used it before i put my custom CAI)... might be because the blast of air was limited only from this 2.5-3" tube... what i did, i remove the cap of the container and felt that it has a better response... quicker acceleration - SRI power...

now my next plan is to return the container cap with additional tube from the custom vent/scoop in my hood, so the air source will be from the hood and from the front bumper, that may enough to drive the SRI power with sufficient cold AIR...
similar to this AEM project...

i notice that if the SRI is not limited... my magnaflow sound is a little louder... i love it...

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
My plan is to run a cold air intake, heat wrap it, then run a duct from the fog light port in the bumper to the (K&N) filter. I may also build a baffle near the engine around the top of the intake.

On my Celica I have a short ram intake, heat wrapped, with a duct system that runs from the fog light port to the filter, with a heat-resistant baffle under it and a carbon fiber hood which has a large vent right above the intake. I'm thinking of trying out a cold air system w/ heat wrap and ducting and seeing how that works. I was thinking about buying a cheapo $40 cold air intake off ebay because all I need is the tube, and I can throw the crappy filter away and use the K&N I already have. I'd heat wrap it and duct to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts