Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

I recently purchaseda 2003 hyundai coupe 1.6l. After getting it back home I had noticed that the biteing point had changed and the clutch pedal was stiff.. Anyway long story short turned out to be the master and slave cylinder so installed brand new ones and problem solved.

A few days later just about to leave my dad's..Car would not start. Got my friend to come up and scan with one of them obd scanners. 2 codes regarding BCM (can't remember exactly but they are al over the forums), He put his hand behind the fusebox and found there to be quite a bit of water.

So fixed one problem and now I got a frazzeled BMC. I'm getting the car recovered back to mine today.. I still hope to fix it as I am 80% sure that getting a replacement BCM will work. I have read loads of posts regarding but me and my friend just can't 100% determine if it's actually going to work.

There a BCM advertised that states that it does not need coding and as far as the seller is concered it is a plug and play job. Obviousy I need to find that leak.

The bloke who sold it (Trader) me took off at me saying that it's probably my fault due to replacing the master cylinder. Cos obviously nowadays, water travels upwards and across on a downward incline. So unless I go through a long drawn out claim, I feel im stuck with a nail. I just can't be doing with the hassel.

Sry lol I need to get it off my chest and hopefully have some piece of mind.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
Hi there. Sorry to hear your having trouble with a car you just bought.
The good news is the replacement fusebox doesn't need to be coded as far as the immobilizer is concerned, so the engine should start once you plug the replacement box in (assuming you manage to find a good one. Water ingress is a common problem on the Coupe). The alarm remote will need to be recoded though and you need a dealer/professional level scan tool to do that unfortunately. Still, at least you'll be able to drive the car to a garage to have that done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply.. this increases my confidence a lot.

The replacement one I am looking at, seller has 100%feedback although still doesn't guarantee anything makes me think It should be okay + I have spoken to him and he has sold over a dozen with good results and is advertised as in working order.

Just need to make sure the model numbers match up when I get mine back on the drive. I also need to find a way of protecting the donor so it dont get wet again until I can afford to get the seal sorted. Any ideas?.

Thanks again I'll keep this updated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well.. I have bought one

It was a bit more than the other but the codes match, another reliable seller (Fingers crossed). This one offers 30 day refund as well. So I ain't got nothing to lose here. Why do some people say it isnt plug and play and that it needs coding, are they confusing the car with different models or summet?.

Me and my mates gonna rag dash off and find that leak and seal it... And put some sort of redundancy over the box as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know best way to look for the leak.. I have had my head right up into the foot well and I got nothing but cables and sharp metal up there.. Took the gauge cluster out and nothing at the back of there. Anything I could get to outside of the car?.

I have noticed that there is a gap on the offside/drivers side rubber seal, bottom of the windscreen and I know the car has been stood for at least a year, corrosion could have set in there... Or maybe some water drainage pipes are clogged..

For the amount of rain we have had the ingress of water looked to be quite minimal, just enough to kill my car xD.. I'm tipping it is the windscreen.. just want to confirm it before I go to get it resealed.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
Does anyone know best way to look for the leak.
The way we do it in the workshop is we spray the suspect area on the outside with soapy water, then blow compressed air around the panel seams on the inside. If air leaks through a seam (or the windscreen seal) bubbles will form on the outside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhh Soapy water. My friend lent me an air compressor today as well.. Was wondering what I was going to do with it xD.. Now I know. just need it to stop raining now.

In the mean time I have order a half car cover to put over the top of the car, cover the wind shield and top end of the bonnet.

Thanks again AUTOSPARK! .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right

I am now really hoping it is just the windscreen because I have been quoted £70 for refit and £150 ffor new windscreen worse case.. Which I think isnt too bad.. Just need this bloody rain to let up so I can use the air compressor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have gone round the windscreen no bubbling or any sign of leak..

Not sure where else to look. I have done the best I can to protect the bcm from any water damage for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts