Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg

As far as curb rash goes how bad is the damage to my wheel and is that little rubber flap on the tire anything to worry about? Is it even worth the trouble trying to fix either one? Will the wheel corrode/oxidize if I don't get it fixed?

After buying this car new a year ago and worrying about every little thing I've gotten to the point where some things I just accept will happen as a result of driving and don't let them bother me anymore. Minor cosmetic issues don't bother me and this looks like a cosmetic issue to me. Anyone think this could be more serious?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ouch, must have been a very sharp curb. Try spraying some soapy water or regular water on the tire and see if any air bubbles form... if they don't, then you don't need to worry....
Actually the curb was pretty sharp, the corner was broken so a jagged piece was sticking out.

What does the air bubble thing check for exactly?

·
Registered
152 Posts
no big deal, rim won't rust as it's alloy, maybe try and stick rubber back on with some silicon ?? didn't stuff up alignment or wheel balance did it ?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My wife has curbed our wheels twice (worse than yours). We had a wheel repair guy fix it both times and both times it was under $100. As for the tire, it is probably OK but just the same take the car to a tire store and ask them just to be safe.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Anyone think this could be more serious?
I do.

You can clearly see the contact area of the curb all over the sidewall of the tire. Since the impact was strong enough to exceed the protective capacity of the rim protector (the rubber piece now missing/sticking out ...) structural damage of the tire sidewall is to be expected. In Germany and the UK you will fail inspection (TÜV/MOT) with such extent of tire damage. And that is for good reason. No matter if air leaking or not (bubble test mentioned before). With all the progress tire technology made in the past the sidewall is still the weakest part of the round black thing.

Also on modern cars multilink suspension parts are more fragile than they were on front double wishbone & rear solid axle on leaf springs Chevys, Chryslers'n Fords of the 70&80s (that many people here appear to have in mind when it comes to evaluating damage), so I'd have the relevant parts checked for damage, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the car in to a tire place to be on the safe side. They took the wheel off and inspected it and said they didn't see anything wrong with the tire or wheel nor anything they could see as far as the suspension and everything else goes.

They did say I needed an alignment though, 70 bucks for a four wheel alignment and peace of mind was worth it.

I think the rash looks worse in the pictures, I even had trouble finding the problem on the tire today and I knew what to look for.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had a mobile wheel repair come out to my house and fix my curb rash. It was similiar to yours. It was about 60 bucks and took the guy about on hour. JIMMY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts