Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving 42 years and I have never rubbed a curb before but I did yesterday. I'm so pissed. I've hit a pothole before and damaged a wheel, but I've never rubbed a curb like that. I've got a guy coming to fix it right now. I can't stand to even look at it. What really ticks me off is it didn't have to happen. I was supposed to get money from the ATM and I forgot. We have one in the building where I work and I got so busy that I just forgot until I was down the street. I stopped at an ATM that I have never used before and rubbed the curb as I was leaving. I guess that's what happens when you get old.....just stupid.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sorry to hear but sometimes we get a little wake up call to remind us to be more careful. I've had my own wake up calls. On the bright side i'll bet you won't let it happen again. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,222 Posts
Had it happen to me the other day at a drive-in banking facility with less than 2,000 miles on the clock.

I was not a happy camper to put it mildly. However, these can be repaired if only superficial. I touched it up but it isn't as good as new. I think that Autozone has a kit for this situation.

This wouldn't be happening if not for the fact the rim is almost even with the tire. Otherwise the rim wouldn't have hit the curb.

You're not stupid. And I'm a little older than you, I would think. Just remember what Emily Litella said. "It's always something."

·
22,793 Posts
I guess that's what happens when you get old.....just stupid.
Or anytime you're in "unfamiliar" surroundings. Too bad today's vehicles don't come with "new surrounding sensors" to alert us when we do this. We've all been there. You're in good company. Trust me.

Sorry to hear but sometimes we get a little wake up call to remind us to be more careful. I've had my own wake up calls. On the bright side i'll bet you won't let it happen again. :)
Sent from my SCH-I535
Voice of experience. I've heard it whisper, sometimes yell, into my ears, too.

Some tires have "rim protectors" molded into their sidewalls. My 17" Conti's have them. I hate those tires, but love this feature. Life's all about trade-offs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
This is definitely one of the hazards with these low profile tires, especially with the 19" rims. Back in the old days, I remember so well, the high profile tires saved my rims many a time. On the other hand, my 59 T-Bird sure didn't handle like my Azera. : )

·
Registered
7 Posts
We had our Azera curb rash repaired by AWRS wheel repair and you can't tell where the damage was. I can't recommend them highly enough. Total cost for one wheel was about $90.00 and only took a couple of hours. They matched the paint perfectly. Website shows several locations in the Chicago area. They are a franchise. Owner here said they do a ton of dealer work on location with a portable system.

·
Registered
215 Posts
We had our Azera curb rash repaired by AWRS wheel repair and you can't tell where the damage was. I can't recommend them highly enough. Total cost for one wheel was about $90.00 and only took a couple of hours. They matched the paint perfectly. Website shows several locations in the Chicago area. They are a franchise. Owner here said they do a ton of dealer work on location with a portable system.
Perfect! Thank you.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I did it a month ago. I was afraid to look at my right wheel. Not bad just a minor scrape. Still I will be more careful. Never did that before.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That's who did mine, also. Did a google search and they came up as local in Eastern Iowa so I gave them a call. Guy said he was headed to town and was about 25 mile out. He came to the parking lot where I work and did the repair. Took about 45 minutes. He repaired the rash, painted (perfect color match), cleared the wheel and baked it. You can't even tell it was damaged. Cost was $80.00. That was a pretty cool trailer he had, also. Totally all self-contained.

<a href=http://download-free-music.kambasoft.com/ >free download music here</a>

·
Registered
550 Posts
When I scraped the alloy wheel on my new Azera I didn't want to get out of the car and look at it knowing what I heard inside the car when I did it didn't sound good. My girlfriend also knows how much I loved the car and knew I would be sick if it really looked bad.

I just touched the curb but man inside the car it sounded like much worse. I got out bent over and noticed it was just a minor scrape, not too bad. When I got him I did a polish and worked on it. Unless one really looks hard then you might notice the scrape. Will I buy a new rim, most likely not. One thing I can say is I will never get too close to a curb again. First time I ever rubbed a curb with my rim. Low profile tires are not like the normal tires on older cars. One needs to pay attention.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife rashed two rims on mine. Had them both repaired and you cant tell unless you look close and see where the beveled edge of the rims is rounded off where the rash was.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You're not stupid. And I'm a little older than you, I would think. Just remember what Emily Litella said. "It's always something."
I love that quote. Wonder how many Azera drivers can relate.

The way I look at it, as long as the shiny side is still facing up, we are doing ok. Likewise, I have had my share of stupid little moves. My best you ask? Driving past the entrance of Costco and having a rogue cart roll out of the door and clip my rear quarter panel. Pretty proud of that one :)

Glad you are getting her fixed fast.

Jeff

·
Registered
357 Posts
When I scraped the alloy wheel on my new Azera I didn't want to get out of the car and look at it knowing what I heard inside the car when I did it didn't sound good. My girlfriend also knows how much I loved the car and knew I would be sick if it really looked bad.

I just touched the curb but man inside the car it sounded like much worse. I got out bent over and noticed it was just a minor scrape, not too bad. When I got him I did a polish and worked on it. Unless one really looks hard then you might notice the scrape. Will I buy a new rim, most likely not. One thing I can say is I will never get too close to a curb again. First time I ever rubbed a curb with my rim. Low profile tires are not like the normal tires on older cars. One needs to pay attention.
So much wisdom right here...I'd like to get my wheels repaired because I did the same thing. In downtown Portland. Driving in an area I'd never been before. Like you, I knew what happened as soon as it happened. :eek: :eek:

I'll have to look into this wheel repair thing - I have no idea if there's someone in Portland that does this. I have the Hyper Silver alloy wheels and when I looked it up on the internet all I read was that it is super difficult to make that color blend :( -- maybe all is not lost after all. ^_^

1 - 20 of 25 Posts