Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lack of cup holders in the 2nd row is one of the few things I don't like about my SF. The in door wells are barely useable, and cannot accommodate most size drinks.

Anyone come across any good after market cup holder solutions?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Lack of cup holders in the 2nd row is one of the few things I don't like about my SF. The in door wells are barely useable, and cannot accommodate most size drinks.

I have the very same complaint about the Santa Fe LWB and to be truthful, I am thinking about returning it (I have 3 days/150 miles for return at my AutoNation dealer) for this reason. It is a small thing, but Hyundai engineers should have solved this issue.

I defy them to place a cup with a plastic lid in the holder in the door at a steep angle without it spilling.

Hopefully someone will come up with a solution.

Brad:D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the very same complaint about the Santa Fe LWB and to be truthful, I am thinking about returning it (I have 3 days/150 miles for return at my AutoNation dealer) for this reason. It is a small thing, but Hyundai engineers should have solved this issue.

I defy them to place a cup with a plastic lid in the holder in the door at a steep angle without it spilling.

Yikes. I wouldn't return it over the cup holders. I have never owned a vehicle that didn't have some deficiency, or didn't lack something that I would have preferred to have.

My last 2 vehicles were Buick Enclaves. Although they did have cup holders built into the armrests on the 2nd row doors, they were essentially useless. They were too small, and the door had a bulge to it that limited the height of what you could put in the cup holder. Marginally (and I mean marginally) better than the cup holders in the door wells of the SF.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts

Really? Over cup holders? I somehow doubt that.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Wow, I must be getting old. Back in the day many cars and vans didn't have cup holders, but they sold plastic cup holders that had a U bracket that fit over the armrest and had a hanging cradle for your drink. Surely, someone still makes them or you can find some used somewhere.

Update:
Here you go, something like these

·
Registered
418 Posts
Really? Over cup holders? I somehow doubt that.
Don't doubt it! I still have four hours to decide. My two vehicles of choice were the Santa Fe and the Honda Pilot. The Pilot does have cupholders in the second seat.

I once returned a 2012 Mazda CX-5 because I did not like the red LED's on the dash, which I did not notice on the test drive during the day. In all fairness, I did not like the middle hump in the second row either.

To each his own.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My two vehicles of choice were the Santa Fe and the Honda Pilot.
Interesting that you are deciding between these two vehicles. Pilot is truck like and under powered. My two choices are the SF Limited AWD and the Dodge Durango R/T because of their sporty nature.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Don't doubt it! I still have four hours to decide. My two vehicles of choice were the Santa Fe and the Honda Pilot. The Pilot does have cupholders in the second seat.

I once returned a 2012 Mazda CX-5 because I did not like the red LED's on the dash, which I did not notice on the test drive during the day. In all fairness, I did not like the middle hump in the second row either.

To each his own.
Oh geez, I would take the SF if it had NO cup holders. So,what did u decide?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Oh geez, I would take the SF if it had NO cup holders. So,what did u decide?
Sorry to take this thread OT. I went to drive the Pilot and it drove like a tank as mentioned here--not near as sporty or good looking as the Santa Fe. Stuck with the Hyundai.

Here's hoping we can get a solution to the real issue--cup holders.:D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 3 days/150 miles for return at my AutoNation dealer
As an aside, that's a really nice feature of your dealer. Many people think that they have 3 days to cancel a contract for a new car, but they don't. That only applies to home sales. Unless the dealer specifically states that you have an "out", which your dealer does, then there isn't one.

I doubt they get many returns, but they probably get a few. You can't always determine everything you want to know about a car in a test drive around the block. 3 days/150 miles is probably just about right to determine if there is something obviously wrong with the car, or there is something that you REALLY don't like.

You'll enjoy your new SF. I have had mine right at a month, and so far I love it! I only have a few minor quibbles (like the lack of cup holders in the 2nd row), but every car I have every owned has had a few things I didn't like (or a few things that I wished it had).

·
Registered
418 Posts
As an aside, that's a really nice feature of your dealer. Many people think that they have 3 days to cancel a contract for a new car, but they don't. That only applies to home sales. Unless the dealer specifically states that you have an "out", which your dealer does, then there isn't one.

I doubt they get many returns, but they probably get a few. You can't always determine everything you want to know about a car in a test drive around the block. 3 days/150 miles is probably just about right to determine if there is something obviously wrong with the car, or there is something that you REALLY don't like.

You'll enjoy your new SF. I have had mine right at a month, and so far I love it! I only have a few minor quibbles (like the lack of cup holders in the 2nd row), but every car I have every owned has had a few things I didn't like (or a few things that I wished it had).
You are exactly correct about that misconception on the 3-day right to return rule. All AutoNation dealers in our area have that policy. There is one caveat though, a buyer cannot return more than one car in any twelve month period.

Thanks for the encouraging words about the Santa Fe.:D Someone will come up with a solution--who knows maybe Hyundai will help us out next year--something we can retrofit on our vehicle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When my wife found out the Limited only had seating for 6, she was torn. She was really wanting a sunroof. But when she found out there were no non-bottle-only cupholders in the second row, that sealed it for her, and we bought the GLS.

I have seen other vehicles have cupholders in the back of the console, and I have seen cupholders that open up on the inboard side of the seat. I am puzzled as to why Hyundai didn't explore either of these options.

I wonder if something like this: Amazon.com: Rampage 39923 Universal Padded Mini Van Storage Console: Automotive
or this: TSI Products 54215 Clutter Catcher Grey OEM Look Minivan Console : Amazon.com : Automotive
would be useful?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Both of these options are designed to fit between the driver seat and passenger seat in the front row. Not sure how you would anchor them between the captain's chairs in the 2nd row. If they were heavy and secure and wouldn't move around, could be a possible solution.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm sure you're doing your own searching, and I have no idea why I got hooked into searching this when I have nice cup holders in my Sport trim! Anyway, how about this?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I am thinking about mounting something to the back of the center console. I will purchase the rear plastic piece of the console to experiment so I do not mess up the original piece.

I will let you know how it goes. Still have to find the OEM rear piece of the center console.

Brad

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has tried any of the consoles - there are tons of them out there. If so and you like it/it works well, can you post the brand and model? I've mentioned to the dealer several times that they're missing a revenue opportunity by not offering custom fit consoles matched to the interior. Originally, I wasn't wild about the captains chairs but the one thing that I really like about the vehicle is how spacious and open it feels on the inside. Don't have a regular need for the 3rd row but on those occasions when it is used, the poor folks stuck in the back have somewhere to stick their feet if need be.

I've also seen a cup holder that hooks onto the posts of the front headrest. I like the idea of that as it's out of the way. Unfortunately, I've looked at so many options that I lost where I found that one.

If anyone has anything that they've tried, it fits and doesn't spill drinks all over - please share. My kids are both teenagers and I'm convinced they think they're going to cross the Sahara everytime they set foot in a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts