Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been working on a cruise control issue on & off for about a year now. Vehicle is a 2011 UD Elantra with a 6 speed manual trans. (same as MD except assembled in USA). Problem is cruise won't set in 6th gear. Works perfectly in 2nd through 5th gears.
Cruise power light stays on but won't set. Upshift indicator working correctly. I've had Hyundai field service engineers look at it 3 times with no luck. Vehicle has no fault codes at all. All switch & sensor inputs are correct. The only vehicle I had with a man. trans. to compare to was a 2013 MD. Cruise worked fine in 6th on that vehicle. The last word we got from Hyundai (supposedly from Korea), was that this is normal and cruise on that model is not supported in 6th gear. I find this hard to believe but I wouldn't doubt this is a programming issue. 6th gear should be the most used gear for cruise operation.
I would like to know if anyone has a 2011 UD (vin # should start with a 5 for UD models) with a manual trans and cruise that operates as it should in 6th gear. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
That's hard to believe, no cruise supported in 6th gear. For the record my Accent with a manual transmission with 6 gears, made in Korea, the cruise control works fine in top gear. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried setting at every speed & rpm you can imagine (up to 80 mph). There are no gear position sensors or switches (only backup light switch). Gear position is a calculation from rpm & vss.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Indi, I know mine is not normal, just want to get enough info to tell Hyundai rep where to stick it!

·
22,793 Posts
Thanks Indi, I know mine is not normal, just want to get enough info to tell Hyundai rep where to stick it!
I'd like to be there to watch. Might learn some new descriptive adjectives...

The cruise should engage in the final gear. If not, what's the sense in offering it on the car? Clearly, something is amiss. Get it checked out. And repaired.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
This is why I won't buy Hyundai again. It's too bad because the car is fine, but there is some line of indifference that runs through the company from top corporate, down though the dealer level. It seems to me there is no effort to solve issues like this. I've experienced this attitude 2 times myself, albeit not so serious as no cruise in high gear. That's just ridiculous. There seems to be little support as soon as the purchase is consummated. Good luck on the cruise control, it can, and should be resolved I would think. cheers.

·
22,793 Posts
The problem, IMO, lies with the dealer! My dealer has been unfathomly fantastic. We've had one "meeting of the minds," but resolved that rather quickly. Other dealers aren't so great, as posts on here will attest. There is a dealership Chain of Command. Try that approach, first. Or a different dealership.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts