Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was the first time I used the cruise on highway for any lenght of time. I noticed could not disengage cruise by just tapping the brake, I would have to push down firm before it would. All cars I have owed in past I could just tap the brake. Cancell button on wheel works fine. Is everybodys cruise working the same way as this one.

Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
QUOTE (BoyRoy @ Apr 22 2010, 06:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315546
Yesterday was the first time I used the cruise on highway for any lenght of time. I noticed could not disengage cruise by just tapping the brake, I would have to push down firm before it would. All cars I have owed in past I could just tap the brake. Cancell button on wheel works fine. Is everybodys cruise working the same way as this one.

Thanks

I haven't checked for that yet, but another thing i noticed about the cruise control is that it won't apply the brakes on hills. All of my past cars with cruise, if i went down a steep hill, it would apply the breaks to keep me in my target speed range, give or take 4-5 mph. But a week or two ago, i was set at 55mph and i started going down a steep hill and noticed i was gaining speed. I made it all the way to 70mph before i said this is too much and hit the brakes.

·
Registered
258 Posts
QUOTE (BoyRoy @ Apr 22 2010, 05:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315546

Thanks
Same here. I'm using cruise very often because i'm traveling a lot on highways. It is different from other cars. You have to really push the break pedal - gentle tap is not enough...hope this helps.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My previous two vehicles were Toyotas one being a Lexus hybrid the other a Highlander hybrid. I noticed that I had to tap the brake pretty firmly in order to disengage CC on both of them. One of the first things I tested on the 2011 Sonata was the amount of force required to disengage the CC and it is far less effort than on my privious two cars. I kinda thought it strange on the Toyotas to be that difficult than any previous vehicle I've owned and there have been dozens!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Strange, mine cancels with a light tap, will have to try the hill thing. I should test out the rwar heated seats to make sure they work right too.

·
Banned
313 Posts
QUOTE (tCizzler @ Apr 22 2010, 06:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315547
t another thing i noticed about the cruise control is that it won't apply the brakes on hills. All of my past cars with cruise, if i went down a steep hill, it would apply the breaks to keep me in my target speed range, give or take 4-5 mph.
I believe you may be mistaken. What past cars with cruise did that? Unless they were high-end luxury cars like BMW's or Mercedes with Adaptave Cruise Control, I don't know of any car that applies the brakes as part of standard cruise control.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (sYc @ Apr 22 2010, 12:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315686
I believe you may be mistaken. What past cars with cruise did that? Unless they were high-end luxury cars like BMW's or Mercedes with Adaptave Cruise Control, I don't know of any car that applies the brakes as part of standard cruise control.
I agree. But I have had cars that downshifted to try to keep your set speed. Alas, I doubt I'll get to test this out on the Sonata since Chicago isn't known for it's hilly countryside.

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (sYc @ Apr 22 2010, 01:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315686
My BMW 335 does this and I don't have adaptive cruise control. Adaptive cruise slows you down automatically when you come up on traffic. So it does it with the "standard" cruise control.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Wierd, my scion tC, mercury tracer, my mom's F150, and my wife's Dodge Nitro all applied the brakes down hill
And the wierdest part is that you can actually see the brake pedal move in all of these vehicles. It scared me a couple times when i felt the pedal move

·
Banned
313 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Apr 22 2010, 02:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315690
I agree. But I have had cars that downshifted to try to keep your set speed. Alas, I doubt I'll get to test this out on the Sonata since Chicago isn't known for it's hilly countryside.
Yes, that is true.

More info on Cruise Control:
http://www.racq.com.au/motoring_advice/abo.../cruise_control
Conventional cruise control systems have no connection to the vehicles brakes and therefore cannot prevent a vehicle over speeding when travelling down a steep hill.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cruise-control1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruise_control
(Note that most systems will prevent the vehicle accelerating beyond the chosen speed, but will not apply the brakes in the event of overspeeding downhill.)
Regular Cruise Control does not apply the brakes, only more advanced Adaptave Cruise Control systems will.

Here is page 5-31 of the 2011 Sonata owners manual. See highlighted area at the botton of the middle column:

[attachment=17528:2011_Sonata_5_31.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
My 2006 Azera applies brakes going downhill!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know if it brakes or downshifts but my civic tries to maintain speed when going downhill.

It doesn't really matter which but it doesn't speed up much at all going downhill and definitely can feel the car trying to slow the momentum.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (tCizzler @ Apr 22 2010, 11:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315692
Wierd, my scion tC, mercury tracer, my mom's F150, and my wife's Dodge Nitro all applied the brakes down hill
And the wierdest part is that you can actually see the brake pedal move in all of these vehicles. It scared me a couple times when i felt the pedal move
In all 4 of these Cars you mention above you can see the Pedals move too. :w00t: Wild, simply wild!

·
Registered
231 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Apr 22 2010, 06:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315758
In all 4 of these Cars you mention above you can see the Pedals move too. :w00t: Wild, simply wild!

Yes, i swear. I'm really blown away that this isn't the way all cars are!! Because all the ones i've payed attention to, did apply brakes. That's why it was such a shock when the Sonata didn't. I almost took it in, i thought something was wrong

Then again all of MY cars in particular have been stick shifts. It can't downshift, so maybe that makes it different?? who knows

·
Banned
313 Posts
QUOTE (tCizzler @ Apr 22 2010, 08:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315780
Yes, i swear. I'm really blown away that this isn't the way all cars are!! Because all the ones i've payed attention to, did apply brakes. That's why it was such a shock when the Sonata didn't. I almost took it in, i thought something was wrong

Then again all of MY cars in particular have been stick shifts. It can't downshift, so maybe that makes it different?? who knows
That explains it. When you lift off the throttle in an automatic, there is very little "engine braking" so it will coast much further. When you lift off the throttle in a manual, you get a lot of "engine braking", so much so that it would feel like the brakes were applied.

When using cruise control, the throttle is modulated to maintain speed. If you slow, the CC opens the throttle slightly to speed up. If you speed up (like doing down hill) the CC will close the throttle to slow down. With a manual, that closing of the throttle will create a large amount of engine braking to prevent you from speeding up. The throttle will close very little because speed will drop quickly. With an automatic that basically free-wheels in high gear, that throttle closing creates very little engine braking. So little that the CC will close the throttle all the way but you will still speed up do to the automatic free-wheeling.

So what you are feeling is a difference between CC in an auto vs CC in a manual. But in both cases, the brakes were not applied. What you felt in your old cars was engine braking via the manual trans.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I can't say for certain on all 4 the more i think about it. But i know for a fact i watched the brake pedal press down in my tC and my mom's truck with my own eyes

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've seen car's downshift (engine brake), you can feel the car pull back on the engine but the brake lights will never come on. I know adaptive systems will apply the brake for you.

Tested the hill thing and the Sonata does do engine braking but it is slower to kick in than the Caravan I had. The Caravan kicked in the moment it was like 3 or 4kmh/hr over, the sonata didn't start engine braking till about 5 - 6km/hr over. But it does it for me. Tested the cancel with the brake several times and different speeds and a very light tap, less than what was needed in the Caravan disengaged the set cruise.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Getting back to the amount of pressure needed to deactivate the Cruise Control...If it is anything more than a gentle tap needed

to turn it off, I would see my Dealer for an adjustment during your first year free adjustment period. This can be very dangerous. :innocent:

·
Registered
110 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Apr 23 2010, 10:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316195
Getting back to the amount of pressure needed to deactivate the Cruise Control...If it is anything more than a gentle tap needed

to turn it off, I would see my Dealer for an adjustment during your first year free adjustment period. This can be very dangerous. :innocent:
If you're in a dangerous situation, then I'd be willing to bet the brakes are going to get a lot more pressure than a gentle tap. Now if there's a delay from hitting the brakes while in cruise control to the car actually braking then I could see the issue but I'd be highly shocked if that was the case.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts