Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have cruise control fitted in their i30 AND a towbar this is a cautionary tale. We all know that the electrical plug connection on a trailer has a keyway which prevents it being inserted incorrectly. WRONG. It is possible for to reverse the plug into the socket, albeit with some force as my son-in-law discovered when he plugged his trailer into my i30. I knew something was wrong when the ESP OFF light came on, but did not know what. The following day, ESP light still on, I was travelling at 70mph on a dual carriageway with cruise control set when I had to brake suddenly to avoid an artic emerging from a slip road. NOTHING HAPPENED which scared the **** out of me. The cruise control did not cancel on braking. I pressed the cruise cancel button and regained braking control. On returning home I began to scratch my head as to what had occured. As I discovered the fuse was blown on the brake light curcuit which explained why the cruise control had failed to disengage as it was not receiving a signal from the brake circuit. It also explained why the ESP OFF light came on. Further search found that if you reverse the towing plug in the socket , the first time you touch the brakes the brake light circuit will short and the fuse will blow. Don't say you have'nt been warned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a US recall on Hyundai's due to a faulty stop switch - go to safecar.gov and look up the reference: NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V122000. This is covered under warranty and should be dealt with by the dealer. Sounds like you had the same issue - thank goodness without injury.

Rof

1 - 3 of 3 Posts