Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
good thing you guys caught yours in time

I am a sales person who puts alot of miles on my car just passed 66k on my 2011gls and last night cruise stopped working.
Now i can't even turn the cruise light on and i use my cruise almost nonstop shortly after I now have a flat spot in my throttle where the engine will just not accelerate till you let your foot off when it starts to do that and then you can accel again with no problems.
Called dealer and Im out of electrical warranty by 6k have to read my paper work I believe i purchased an extended.
If not found out there are 2 sensors for the throttle by wire the one on the pedal is 150 and have not found a price on the one on the engine.
Had codes pulled while having oil change this mornin but they said no code faults, not dealership but will let you know once i take it there will also let them know about this thread

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm having an intermittent issue with Cruise Control, exactly the same happened to OP. Mine only have 8k KM on it and I experience the issue in the last couple of months. I had a chat with the HQ CS and they told me that the warranty won't cover the diagnostic cost if the dealer can't reproduce the behaviour due to intermittent nature, so I am trying to reproduce it when I bring it to the dealer.

I drove a Civic SiR and I had the same issue after I drove it for 5 years and it only happened on winter time. Now it is winter and my Sonata having the same symptom :mad:

·
Registered
54 Posts
My old one was at the dealer for about 2 weeks and they could never relicate the issue. A Hyundai rep drove the car and couldn't reproduce. Which there was some sort of self diagnosis you could do with the car to indicate when it happens.

Mine is really intermittent too. Please let us know if anyone makes progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
new news

drove mine 600 miles yesterday and about half way thru the trip the eco light comes back on so i push the cruise button and yup i have cruise back.
The throttle miss is gone so I am now wondering if it had something to do with all the snow and wet weather the last few days wether in the engine or at the gas or brake pedal.
So for now I have my car back right but i think something must not be water tight for the other people with the problem was their water or snow involved with your problem

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yesterday when I drove home, it acted again quite persistently on the highway and I decided to swing by the dealer. Before I swung by I turned off my car and turned it back on to make sure it still there and it did. Lucky enough the dealer allow me to swung by without an appointment and one of the mechanic had a cycle, and he was able to replicate the issue. Now I have a case open with the dealer and they are ordering the switch. They said there is no such case yet for 2012 Sonata, so they will do "trial & error" so see what actually went wrong.

And this morning it worked perfectly :confused:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've noticed this on my 2011 Sonata Ltd a few times - it won't "resume" and just shuts off completely. I'm also having problems with the smartkey not wanting to start the engine. I had cooling system issues - I'm starting to loose faith in this car! Oh, it has a little over 21,000 miles on it, so it's something that has taken a while to surface.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here is my latest update...
I had my car sleep over at the dealer for 2 night just because they did something stupid when replacing the cruise control modules. They broke the Clock Spring module!
Anyway they replace the following parts:
- Switch Assy (96440-3S000RY)
- Contact Asst (93490-3Q120)
And now it works flawlessly...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dealer "fixed" problem, came back grrrrr!

I have had this intermittent issue since I bought my 2011 Sonata GLS back in Feb 2011. Had a hard time convincing the dealer it was there but finally got it "fixed" in May this year.

They changed the cruise switch module, I did provide the info from this thread on what was being replaced but they were sure they had the solution. I dont think they changed enough, appears they only changed the switch itself.

Unfortunately it has come back, definitely seems to be heat sensitive, now we are getting 90 degree + temperatures in California this summer it happens pretty consistently if I leave the car in the sun for a while. It fairly reliable goes away when AC cools the cabin down. BTW I also have the radio display fading issue, haven't even mentioned this because doesn't seem to be a solution at all for that one.

Are there other components (heat sensitive) that are likely culprit?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I tried setting my cruise yesterday, and even though the "set" light displayed on the dash, the car slowed down as if it werent turned on. I turned it off, then back on and it did set the second try. Weird.

·
Registered
95 Posts
During the past 2 years my dealer has replaced:
-cruise control switch in the steering
-steering control contacts
-cruise control module
-the entire steering wheel
-the clutch switch
-the brake switch, with the same model of switch
-the brake switch, a new one on a Hyundai recall
and latelly the entire cluster ??? they say that it all goes there and as mini controller or something like that.

Since the cluster was changed (2 weeks ago) the problem did not come back, only time will tell.

Next step if still does not work...???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 Sonata with the intermittent Cruise problem too... VERY Frustrating and scary. I'm gonna try the phone video thing then bring that to the dealer and show it.
I've been driving too many years and too many vehicles for the service tech to plainly say "You know, you need to be going at least 35 mph in order for the system to engage." Argh!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 Hyundai Sonta Cruise Control

My cruise control has been working intermittently since day one. I love my car but the cruise control won't set half the time. They replaced the switch and still...same issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok...mine is all fixed. The Invoice wasn't very specific but the part they replaced was "96710r00 Switch-Steering Remote Control (ALL)" and "1 96440-3S000-RY Switch ASM"
I love my Sonta...I have one issue...my cruise control since day of of buying my brand new car in 2011 has worked intermittently...I have brought my car numerous times to the dealership to try to get this fixed...to this day, they could never find the issue...please let me know if anyone else has had this problem. I use cruise control on a daily basis because I drive about 3 to 4 hours a day to get to work and home...I called warranty and they said that since my car now has 70,000 miles on it they cannot do anything..I would have to pay to have it checked again...I have brought my car to the dealership about 10 times to see if they could correct the problem and I guess the problem is mine now with no resolution to fixing it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I love my Sonta...I have one issue...my cruise control since day of of buying my brand new car in 2011 has worked intermittently...I have brought my car numerous times to the dealership to try to get this fixed...to this day, they could never find the issue...please let me know if anyone else has had this problem. I use cruise control on a daily basis because I drive about 3 to 4 hours a day to get to work and home...I called warranty and they said that since my car now has 70,000 miles on it they cannot do anything..I would have to pay to have it checked again...I have brought my car to the dealership about 10 times to see if they could correct the problem and I guess the problem is mine now with no resolution to fixing it.
If the problem occured before the warranty expires, I guess they should honoured it.

Had my car for 3 year and now at 75 000 km and now Hyundai Canada is working on my case but they don't have a clue of what can cause this issue.

They blamed the plug and play harness for my hitch, I unplugged it, still same issue.
They blamed my remote started, I had it unplugged, still same issue.

If anyone found a fix for this, please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Finally got someone on my side in California and a good service person to investigate my similar problem (going on for 2 year now) and yesterday they replaced the entire CC switch on the steering wheel. (96440-3S000) After 1 day no problem so keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2013 Sonata cruise control failure

Bought my 2013 Sonata Limited 2/15/14. Cruise worked on test drive & all the way home. Later I noticed the Cancel button was about half the time intermittent and the Set button is about a third of the time intermittent. I put up with it for months & then, per suggestions of this site, videoed it. 3 times. Wanna see? Let's see if these YouTube pointers work:

Hyundai 2013 Sonata cruise control Cancel button FAIL - YouTube
Hyundai 2013 Sonata cruise control Set button FAIL - YouTube
9-8-2014 Hyundai Sonata cruise control Cancel button FAIL still - YouTube

Finally made myself go to dealer and was treated like a king, but after 4 hours the tech couldn't duplicate it.

3rd video above was made after that.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Did the tech look at the videos? As I had stated in the original postings they could never reproduce it at the dealer either. But since I took video, the tech watched them and was able to do the module warranty replacement off of those since it was intermittent.

·
Registered
859 Posts
We all need to call hyundai (800) 633-5151

This is getting out of control no pun intended. We all need to call hyundai @1 (800) 633-5151 and file a complaint so they can do something about this. I have the same issue and am on the phone with them right now pointing them to this thread. Now my cancel button will not work. i am also filing a complaint with https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ or (888) 327-4236

41 - 60 of 93 Posts