Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All;

I am having some trouble with my 2009 Santa-Fe cruise. It has these issues:
1. It will not keep up speed over small rises, eventually cutting out if the rise is long enough.
2. It will not down shift the transmission to keep speed up.
3. Most worrisome, the gas pedal intermittently will not work when I step on the gas to accelerate (while cruise is on.) i.e. it's dead

The dealer checked it out (for the first two problems) and said it was operating normally.
The 3rd issue is, I believe a safety issue, but I have not been to a dealer on that yet.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Comments appreciated.
Barry

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The cruise control is actually designed to cut out if speed drops significantly, and this has happened to me on occasions when I was towing my camper up a steep hill. It is indeed slow to downshift, which exacerbates the problem.

That said, your system sounds overly finicky. And the throttle should never go dead. I would have the dealer correct these problems pronto.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Unless there was a radical change for 2009 that nobody here ever mentioned, your dealer is full of it ref #1 and #2. My 2008 Limited will indeed downshift as needed, and does not cease function over long uphill grades. And there's no reason I can imagine why yours should behave this way, either. That's just not normal. #3 is the ringer. He'd better not call that "normal". Call him on all 3 items. There's a malfunction there somewhere.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Oct 18 2010, 11:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364243
The cruise control is actually designed to cut out if speed drops significantly, and this has happened to me on occasions when I was towing my camper up a steep hill. It is indeed slow to downshift, which exacerbates the problem.
Sounds like his NEVER downshifts (#2) causing the lugging that then causes it to stop functioning (#1). On the kind of short grade he's describing, that's not right. Like your description: "too finicky".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi all
An update for you
Went in to service the c/c and after a test drive with the service manager, it did not act up (go figure.) The hills near the dealership were pretty mild, however.
In any case, the dealer replaced the gas pedal sensor (this is a drive by wire system) and loaded up a new firmware level for the master computer.
I have not had a chance to try it on the highway yet, but will keep you posted.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Barry, Hopefully that does the trick for you. What powertrain do you have in your 2009? 2.7L or 3.3?

I do know that electronic throttle controlled vehicles take a bit to get used to with the cruise set (if you're used to older cable/vacuum systems). The accelerator pedal doesn't move itself with throttle position changes like old cable actuated systems did. That said, there will be a 'dead-spot' of sorts when you attempt to manually accelerate with the cruise being set. Like the first 0.5-1.0" of pedal travel has no effect since the E-throttle is already reading a higher input from the cruise control logic. You need to exceed that input with pedal travel before the pedal 'comes to life'.

These are the observations I've made anyway. I've owned primarily E-throttle equipped vehicles since 2002. Various makes/models domestic and import.

Joel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I finally had it on the highway, and the problems are still there.
1) On slight inclines, the speed drops (tranny will not shift down and the throttle will not increase hardly any.)
2) Stepping on the throttle (to the floor boards) often does nothing, sometimes takes 10 seconds to start accelerating.

What a crappy cruise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
QUOTE (handyguy @ Feb 15 2011, 07:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=402683
Well, I finally had it on the highway, and the problems are still there.
1) On slight inclines, the speed drops (tranny will not shift down and the throttle will not increase hardly any.)
2) Stepping on the throttle (to the floor boards) often does nothing, sometimes takes 10 seconds to start accelerating.

What a crappy cruise.

Like stated before, unless something drastic changed on the 09 Santy, this definitely sounds like a faulty cruise. I drove my 08 on the highway at 75 mph today on cruise, went up a steep incline on the freeway and it downshifted within seconds. To give you an idea, it was about a 130M increase in elevation over 3-4km. Not the steepest hill I've driven up, but it is on the highway.

If the dealer can't fix it, maybe you need a new cruise control unit? I'm not sure if that's even possible.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, it downshifts and accelerates fine without cruise; when cruise is failing like this, i tap the break to disable, then hit the gas to accelerate. Still doing this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts