Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Hmm. When you say it won't turn on do you mean the green "CRUISE" light does not come on?

The cruise not setting is usually indicative of a bum brake light switch but if the system is not turning on at all, I'm guessing the switch pack on the steering wheel may be bad.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I too am starting to have similar issues, but it is too intermittent to take it to the dealer for now. At least I am still under warranty. I too suspect the switch quadrant on the steering wheel.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it will turn on sometimes (the light on the dash). then other times it wont tun on. and if it does turn on it wont set.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Anyone know how to dissassemble the steering wheel to get the switch quadrants out? I am thinking I'll try that and see if they can be cleaned easily with contact cleaner. That may do the trick (if I am lucky... I never am though)......

·
22,777 Posts
Anyone know how to dissassemble the steering wheel to get the switch quadrants out? I am thinking I'll try that and see if they can be cleaned easily with contact cleaner. That may do the trick (if I am lucky... I never am though)......
Are you out of warranty?

·
Registered
869 Posts
No, still in the 5 year, 60k mile warranty. But that will not be worth crapola. It is far too intermittent! All they will say is "no problem, works just fine"! It is up to me, I can see that already.

·
Registered
639 Posts
No, still in the 5 year, 60k mile warranty. But that will not be worth crapola. It is far too intermittent! All they will say is "no problem, works just fine"! It is up to me, I can see that already.
I'm certainly no Hyundai tech, but the computer may be storing a "soft" code from this issue, so a visit to the dealer might pay dividends. If you're still in warranty, what's to lose but a little time?

·
Registered
639 Posts
If that is true, that it stores a soft code, wouldn't I see that when I scan with my OBD II reader???
The operative word was "MAY". I'm not sure if an off the shelf OBD reader is the same and has the same capabilities as what a dealer uses and might be able to access.

I know my friend who works on Nissans has a CONSULT like the dealers use, but there are some things they can access that he cannot due to the costs of the software and the capabilities of his machine. In other words, the dealer's diagnostic tools seemingly are more comprehensive. For example, I asked him to reprogram the headlight "auto-off timer" on my 2011 370Z, but he cannot access that area of the computer with his machine as it is currently configured.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
The operative word was "MAY". I'm not sure if an off the shelf OBD reader is the same and has the same capabilities as what a dealer uses and might be able to access.

I know my friend who works on Nissans has a CONSULT like the dealers use, but there are some things they can access that he cannot due to the costs of the software and the capabilities of his machine. In other words, the dealer's diagnostic tools seemingly are more comprehensive. For example, I asked him to reprogram the headlight "auto-off timer" on my 2011 370Z, but he cannot access that area of the computer with his machine as it is currently configured.
I think that's true with a lot if not most cars. I had a VW Passat and I got the OBD diagnostic software for my laptop. With the usb to OBD cable and plug into the car's connector I could get diagnostic codes for the V6 and all the vehicles other subsystems. But to actually make changes to any of these components (other than clearing fault codes) required taking the car to the service department as their full system could read and make changes plus even upload new software to the control module. The changes I'm talking about are the ones similar to our cars, like reprogramming how the doors lock at speed etc. Of course on the Passat there were a lot of other functions that could be set or altered (got to love premium Euro cars for all their complexities).

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
OBDII readers only see the generic codes. The Cruise Control malfunction wotul be in Body Control Module and only accessible with Hyundai software.

Not mush you can do to troubleshoot without test when it happens. You could take videos of it and then maybe get the dealer to scan the system for codes. But if it is a switch or clocks spring problem the BCM will never get the command to turn it on so no code will be there.

The steering wheel is pretty easy to remove.

Disconnect the battery and go have a cup of coffee so the air bag power is completely drained down.

Then there should be two torx or allen bolt heads on the sides of the air bag. These are captive bolts and will not fully come out. So loosen them as much as is needed so they tun freely.

Then pull off the air bag. There will be two connectors on it with locking caps. Here is the air bag on my Genesis Coupe and it will be the same as your car.

22mm nut that holds the wheel on. It is not on tight, I used a deep socket but a wrench will work if you can get one in there. Once that is out time for the steering wheel puller. These can be rented out from the local parts stores usually. They are not expensive if you want to buy one. You will need two 8mm-1.25 x 55mm bolts for the puller. Sometimes the puller is not needed but I had one so it was easy peasy.

With this out of the way you can then trace the cc activation switch and at the connector with a voltmeter set on ohms see if the contact is grounding the signal which is how the BCM sees it as switched.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thanks Red, all good data. I went to the dealership yesterday to get my mileage read so that they'll send me this year's cash card. But they said that there is a recall outstanding on my E: a muffler bracket that needs installing. They won't send the $$$ until all recalls are done so I have to go in next Friday to have that done. While there, I will get them to at least try and read any CC codes and take a look around. Due to the intermittent nature of this issue, I fully expect them to say "cruise is working perfectly"!!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I just returned from my local Hyundai dealership (Hyundai of Slidell, where Zelda II and I first met). I went in a couple of weeks ago to have them read the mileage for Zelda's yearly mileage pre-paid card. They said that I had an outstanding recall that needed to be done (some muffler bracket) and that would have to be done prior to issuing the card. So that was done today. I mentioned the cruise issue and told them not to bother test driving it as it is far too intermittent for it to happen for them. I asked them to check the adjustment on the brake switch and read any special Hyundai CC codes that may exist. They stated that the brake switch was checked and was fine and no code in the computer. Just as I was about to then suggest that it could possible be the switch quadrant beginning to fail, the service person said "it could be the switches. I'll order new switches and we'll swap it out". WOW!!!! Not only are they taking my word for it with no evidence what so ever for them to believe I am not just crazy, but proactively just swapping out the switch assembly.

These guys are GREAT!!! They have no doubt earned my continued business and another car sale in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just returned from my local Hyundai dealership (Hyundai of Slidell, where Zelda II and I first met). I went in a couple of weeks ago to have them read the mileage for Zelda's yearly mileage pre-paid card. They said that I had an outstanding recall that needed to be done (some muffler bracket) and that would have to be done prior to issuing the card. So that was done today. I mentioned the cruise issue and told them not to bother test driving it as it is far too intermittent for it to happen for them. I asked them to check the adjustment on the brake switch and read any special Hyundai CC codes that may exist. They stated that the brake switch was checked and was fine and no code in the computer. Just as I was about to then suggest that it could possible be the switch quadrant beginning to fail, the service person said "it could be the switches. I'll order new switches and we'll swap it out". WOW!!!! Not only are they taking my word for it with no evidence what so ever for them to believe I am not just crazy, but proactively just swapping out the switch assembly.

These guys are GREAT!!! They have no doubt earned my continued business and another car sale in the future.

Hello im having the same problem, did it fix the problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have intermittent problems with my cruise control. Cruise button always works, which displays the CRUISE light on the dash, but I often can't set the cruise after that. Oddly, I can often fix the issue by pressing the cancel button, the pressing set again. If that doesn't work, I give the horn a honk, and it alway works after that.

I'm thinking it's the clockspring going bad, and giving the horn a honk creates enough current to make a good contact in the clockspring for the rest of the drive. My plan is to continue to do this until the problem becomes constant, then it'll be easier to diagnose it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts