Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Santa Fe 2.7
My cruise control on the steering column began to work only intermittantly.
Now it doesn't work at all.
It will turn on but won't set.

Has anyone had this issue and how was it repaired.

Thanks,
Rick

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Hi Rick...sorry to hear of your troubles.

What you're explaining points to one of two potential causes. When you were having issues with the cruise control before, would it set and then cancel for no reason? Also, when you press the 'SET' button now, can you hear it click?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lovemysantafe,

Thanks for helping me out.

1. When the "set" button was working intermittantly...once it turned on, it would stay on.
At no point did it cancel for no reason.

2. Yes, I can still hear a definate click when I press the "set" button.

All the best,
Rick

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Okay...since it hasn't canceled on its own I'm fairly certain we can rule out a faulty or failing brake light switch. When a brake light switch fails, it sometimes causes the brake lights to be lit all the time and since the cruise control is canceled by stepping on the brake, it won't allow it to engage. I'm assuming that when the 'SET' button worked, the cruise control held your set speed consistently?

At this point all the symptoms you describe point to a faulty switch pack on the steering wheel. I've looked up that part and it shouldn't cost you much more than $40. It's held on by a screw (or two...not sure) and the connector is a quick-connect. They can be swapped out in a minute or two. Good luck and I'm glad I could help you out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Nov 11 2009, 02:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=277471
Okay...since it hasn't canceled on its own I'm fairly certain we can rule out a faulty or failing brake light switch. When a brake light switch fails, it sometimes causes the brake lights to be lit all the time and since the cruise control is canceled by stepping on the brake, it won't allow it to engage. I'm assuming that when the 'SET' button worked, the cruise control held your set speed consistently?

At this point all the symptoms you describe point to a faulty switch pack on the steering wheel. I've looked up that part and it shouldn't cost you much more than $40. It's held on by a screw (or two...not sure) and the connector is a quick-connect. They can be swapped out in a minute or two. Good luck and I'm glad I could help you out. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info. I'll check into ordering that part.
A night after I posted on the way home from work, the cruise worked perfectly all the way home. (30mi)

Now that I think of it.
The "Resume" button hasn't worked for a while but I got used to not using it.
I think you're right on the money.
I'll order the new SWITCH PACK and report back.

Thanks for the help,
Rick

·
Registered
2 Posts
08 Elantra cruise control wont set

I have a 2008 Elantra that the cruise control set button flashes and I don't hear a click

·
Registered
843 Posts
FYI, if your cruise control would malfunction because of a faulty brake signal (probably not in this issue here), the brake pedal has 2 seperate brake switches, one for your brake lights and one other especially for the cruise control.
I think it was a switched 12 volts for the lights and a switched ground for the cruise control.
So this would apply if it would immediatly cancel out a set command.
Good luck with repairs,
Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having a similar problem. My break light switch needed to be replaced (before, the break lights wouldn't turn off), and since then, I haven't had cruise control. It was a sudden change. Would the break lights affect the cruise?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cruise Control not Working

I have replaced the right switches of my cruise control on my 2006 Hyundai Sante Fe. It turns on but won't set. I have also checked fuses that I researched are attached to the cruise control. I have checked the relay in the engine compartment and it isn't blown either. Can anyone possibly tell me what to check next because I am running out of options before the dealer charges me $300+. I have checked all break lights and functions of them.

:frown:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
On my Genesis Coupe with the bad brake switch, the CC light will come on but it will not set a speed. If I jab the brake pedal sharply (not enough to really apply the brakes) then it will start working. Doesn't happen all the time..

·
Registered
4 Posts
For anyone else having intermittent issues with the switches, I took mine apart and cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner about 5 years ago and they are still working. Good point R/Rasp, that makes sense. These vehicles had a bad brake light switch and I think may have been subject to a service bulletin (?) a decade ago. Have someone check that brake lights come on when brakes are applied.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have this problem with my 2009 Elantra.
Did your problem get corrected with a new brake switch or what did you do?

Thanks
Marc

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
When I hear of cruise control problems, hopefully it is something simple like the brake switch.
But, there is a time when .. although rare, that the problem turns out to be the clock spring in the steering wheel.

Not saying that is your problem.
Just a thought and putting it out there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,

Looks like my cruise control wont set at all, In the morning the cruise control occasionally lights up but will not set?

Anyone had any luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2006 Hyundai Elantra and the cruise control did not work. It would turn on but would not set. The set light would blink on for a half second. I decided to check to see if brake lights worked to see if brake switch is bad. I found that the brakes lights did not work on the tail lights but the rear window brake light did. Both lights were burnt out. I replaced them and the cruise control works now. That was an easy fix. Also I looked at a wiring diagram and the brake light switch has 2 switches built into it, one for lights and one for cruse control. So It could be possible that one works and the other doesn't in diagnosing the brake switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

Since this summer, I also had the cruise control problem. I just couldn't get in ON. Just untill I tried different kind of button combinations while I was driving, as I was almost certain it is a software issue (have a technical education myself). When I pushed the klaxon for a short instance, I discovered the cruise control worked again at least for that same ride (until you switch off the engine). I know it sounds silly, but just try it... Works perfect for me... I think the klaxon circuit overrides a software issue for the cruise control...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a hyundai santa fe 2010 and i have a problem with the cruise control and shift indicator. Actually the led of the cruise control is on but the set button is not blinking and the shift indicator is not working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i own a Hyudai Elantra Cuope 2013 model.when oi try to use the cruise control the green light flashes but the speed set buttons do not work.What could be the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem on my 06 Tucson. I recently did a switch to led brake bulbs, would this create this situation where the cruise control won't set?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts