Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. Almost simultaneouly my cruise control buttons stopped working altogether and my cars horn doesnt work unless I turn it a certain way. Anybody know what this could be? Is it a loose wire or something I can fix myself? I have a 2011 Elantra GLS out of warranty so don't want to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just a guess, but it may be the clockspring. Everything electric that is controlled through the steering wheel goes through the clockspring, and they do fail, especially if you have a wire or cord get wrapped up in the steering column by accident.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,277 Posts
Sounds like there's a break in the clock spring. It's possible to replace it DIY but it's part of the SRS (airbag system) so you need to be mindful of that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright going to check it out thanks guys. Don't want to mess with the airbag but I may try DIY if the mechanic is too expensive.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have the same issue. My Trip/Reset buttons don't work unless I turn the steering in a certain way, my Cruise Control Buttons don't work unless I keep pressing it many many times and it gets activated, Also - at times when I press the CANCEL button - it ends up activating the CRUISE. My Air Bag light is also constantly ON past a year.

·
Registered
15,277 Posts
I have the same issue. My Trip/Reset buttons don't work unless I turn the steering in a certain way, my Cruise Control Buttons don't work unless I keep pressing it many many times and it gets activated, Also - at times when I press the CANCEL button - it ends up activating the CRUISE. My Air Bag light is also constantly ON past a year.
Sounds like you need a new clockspring too then.

Was it the steering wheel button backlighting you were asking about in the other thread?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds like you need a new clockspring too then.

Was it the steering wheel button backlighting you were asking about in the other thread?
Yep I just googled symptoms of faulty clock spring and my issues match most of them. :( Its a pain finding a good garage here.
Replacing the clock spring requires some expertise as it needs airbag disabling and angle sensor calibration bla bla. God help me!

And yes the push button backlighting issue was mine as well...any inputs?

·
Registered
15,277 Posts
And yes the push button backlighting issue was mine as well...any inputs?
If it's the buttons on the steering wheel your talking about then the back lighting failure will likely be another symptom of the faulty clockspring.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My exact issues also :|

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Didn't Hyundai issue a warranty extension for the clockspring? I seem to remember getting something in the mail.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Didn't Hyundai issue a warranty extension for the clockspring? I seem to remember getting something in the mail.
I have had this airbag light issue from a long time, I regret not raising the issue with the dealer earlier, could have forced them into replacing it for free by raising Safety concerns, laws here are very strict.:crying2: Hate being lazy

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just wanted to update, I had sent an email complaint to our local hyundai dealer head office (In our region there is only one dealer for each brand), and the Customer Service team is very prompt here so they arranged a call from the Service Manager and I visited them.
They took my car in, got the clock spring replaced for free. All steering button issues sorted. :) Yay!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts