Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. Almost simultaneouly my cruise control buttons stopped working altogether and my cars horn doesnt work unless I turn it a certain way. Anybody know what this could be? Is it a loose wire or something I can fix myself? I have a 2011 Elantra GLS out of warranty so don't want to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just a guess, but it may be the clockspring. Everything electric that is controlled through the steering wheel goes through the clockspring, and they do fail, especially if you have a wire or cord get wrapped up in the steering column by accident.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the same issue. My Trip/Reset buttons don't work unless I turn the steering in a certain way, my Cruise Control Buttons don't work unless I keep pressing it many many times and it gets activated, Also - at times when I press the CANCEL button - it ends up activating the CRUISE. My Air Bag light is also constantly ON past a year.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
17,134 Posts
I have the same issue. My Trip/Reset buttons don't work unless I turn the steering in a certain way, my Cruise Control Buttons don't work unless I keep pressing it many many times and it gets activated, Also - at times when I press the CANCEL button - it ends up activating the CRUISE. My Air Bag light is also constantly ON past a year.
Sounds like you need a new clockspring too then.

Was it the steering wheel button backlighting you were asking about in the other thread?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sounds like you need a new clockspring too then.

Was it the steering wheel button backlighting you were asking about in the other thread?
Yep I just googled symptoms of faulty clock spring and my issues match most of them. :( Its a pain finding a good garage here.
Replacing the clock spring requires some expertise as it needs airbag disabling and angle sensor calibration bla bla. God help me!

And yes the push button backlighting issue was mine as well...any inputs?

·
Registered
317 Posts
My exact issues also :|

·
Registered
304 Posts
Didn't Hyundai issue a warranty extension for the clockspring? I seem to remember getting something in the mail.
I have had this airbag light issue from a long time, I regret not raising the issue with the dealer earlier, could have forced them into replacing it for free by raising Safety concerns, laws here are very strict.:crying2: Hate being lazy

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just wanted to update, I had sent an email complaint to our local hyundai dealer head office (In our region there is only one dealer for each brand), and the Customer Service team is very prompt here so they arranged a call from the Service Manager and I visited them.
They took my car in, got the clock spring replaced for free. All steering button issues sorted. :) Yay!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, similar situation. Horn and cruise control not working...we replaced the clock spring but the problems are still there. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I bought mine new, but its 2012. Its out of warrenty and the dealership's customer service doesn't care. TIA!

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
Hi all, similar situation. Horn and cruise control not working...we replaced the clock spring but the problems are still there. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I bought mine new, but its 2012. Its out of warrenty and the dealership's customer service doesn't care. TIA!
Did you do any diagnosis of the faults before replacing the clockspring? If not maybe you should do a proper diagnosis now.
The horn circuit is the simpler of the two so I'd start with that. Here are a few steps to get you started...

Have you checked the horn fuse?
Can you hear the horn relay, out in the engine bay fusebox, clicking when you operate the switch?
Does bypassing the horn relay make the horn sound?

RELAY BYPASS TEST...
Remove the relay and use a wire link to bridge the two terminals of the relay socket

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you do any diagnosis of the faults before replacing the clockspring? If not maybe you should do a proper diagnosis now.
The horn circuit is the simpler of the two so I'd start with that. Here are a few steps to get you started...

Have you checked the horn fuse?
Can you hear the horn relay, out in the engine bay fusebox, clicking when you operate the switch?
Does bypassing the horn relay make the horn sound?

RELAY BYPASS TEST...
Remove the relay and use a wire link to bridge the two terminals of the relay socket

I'm embarrassed... the horn didn't work bc the wires were snipped. After patching it, it works now. I was so quick to jump to the clock spring conclusion bc I read it in several forums. The cruise control is still finicky, but ill prob get rid of this car once babies are involved. Its such a great car, but I need something bigger and safer, esp with 3 dogs.

So all together...we put in a new relay, clock spring (not returnable), and patched the original horn wiring. I'll return the new horn, even though it prob sounds better since I won't keep the car much longer. Just need it to pass inspection to get new plates. Thank you for trying to help and for everyone's knowledge! 🙏💪🤘

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
If you've owned the car from new how did the wires get snipped without you knowing about it?
Glad you managed to get it working again anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts