1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 SF LTD 3.3
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

3.3, 2009

On a few occasions, driving on cruise, usually under load and uphill- the cruise shuts down - cruise lights go off, and the vehicle loses speed dramatically. Every time experienced I fear failure of the TPS and limp mode.
No MIL is triggered, taking manual control corrects the speed and cruise could be engaged again.
Annoying and scary at times.
Spoke to the service adviser at our local dealership - they need replication of the malfunction, diagnostic is $120 and might show nothing.

Would somebody have any experience here, is it a typical behavior, any fixes?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
We used to hear about this fairly often on European diesels with stick shifts -- and as I recall, it was a function of engine loading -- but I think you're the first to report it on an automatic! With your description of the circumstances under which this occurs, I wonder if your problem is actually related?

No chance you've use the shift selector to lock it into a particular gear, is there?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a similar/different issue with my 2008 3.3l. It happened a few times on cruise while the vehicle is accelerating that the brake booster stops working. If I press the brake pedal to deactivate the cruise, it's hard as rock and I have to give it a second hard push to deactivate the cruise. Very dangerous! Brought it to dealer and same story that they cannot reproduce and told me to bring it in when it happens... Sure I will keep the cruise on until I get to the dealer and the tech. Will jump in the rolling vehicle to confirm my saying!Idiots

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Hello all,

3.3, 2009

On a few occasions, driving on cruise, usually under load and uphill- the cruise shuts down - cruise lights go off, and the vehicle loses speed dramatically. Every time experienced I fear failure of the TPS and limp mode.
No MIL is triggered, taking manual control corrects the speed and cruise could be engaged again.
Annoying and scary at times.
Spoke to the service adviser at our local dealership - they need replication of the malfunction, diagnostic is $120 and might show nothing.

Would somebody have any experience here, is it a typical behavior, any fixes?
I've got an 03 santa fe 2,7 auto, and I have my cruise control kick out from time to time on trips, but it always happens on very steep hills/mountains. I've never worried about it too much, but it is a little disconcerting the first time it happens.

·
Registered
2009 SF LTD 3.3
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No chance you've use the shift selector to lock it into a particular gear, is there?
I usually drive on manual only for over passing. Always on cruise on automatic mode. But on the other hand - perhaps once happened on manual as well. Hard to tell as on manual cruise when the rpm drop - the engine loses power and perhaps other factors apply.
Driving to and from Vancouver - 950 km, happened few times on Coquihalla Highway under load, speed, uphill.
The explanation at the dealership about DTC triggering, did not convince me there is a clear understanding of the process.
I'm coming from years with Audi and RossTech scanners, I believe I have some expertise there.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I've got an 03 santa fe 2,7 auto, and I have my cruise control kick out from time to time on trips, but it always happens on very steep hills/mountains. I've never worried about it too much, but it is a little disconcerting the first time it happens.
Haven't ever seen this on my '08 3.3 in the mountains (probably some of the same ones -- I do travel down your way from time to time), but perhaps the 3.3 has had just enough oomph to avoid bogging down to the point where the cruise cuts out.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I had this happen a few times on my new 2002 Santa Fe LX 2.7 V6 AWD, And on my new 2005 Tucson LX 2.7 V6 AWD, And my new 2010 Tucson GLS 2.4L AWD,,, And not while on a hill, but on the somewhat level freeway at cruising speed. So, it's not a new issue. Although it is a bit startling at the time, I just reset it again, and it was fine. I never bothered to have it checked out, due to the hassle of going back to the dealer again :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts