Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2015 Hyundai Accent hatchback with auto trans. Cruise control switch is in the steering wheel trim. Cruise control turns on (green light on instrument cluster) but will not set. I don't know how long it has been broken because I very rarely use it. All other steering wheel controls work correctly. Things I've tried/checked:
  • No ABS light
  • No OBD-II codes
  • Brake lights function correctly
  • Brake light bulbs are correct
  • Visual inspection of ABS wheel speed sensors
  • New brake light switch
  • Cruise control switch removed and cleaned
  • All fuses are good
  • Cruise control switch temporarily replaced with two different switches from junkyard (no guarantee they were good)
Other things to check?

Thanks

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
18,375 Posts
Other things to check?
Although you say the brake lights are working, that doesn't necessarily mean the brake light switch is working properly. There are actually two brake light switches inside the switch housing. One switches the brake lights on at the back of the car. The other sends a signal to the engine ECU. The switch for the lights could be working and the one for the ECU might not be. A couple of quick voltage measurements at the switch with the pedal pressed and released would tell you if the two switches are working properly. You can also check them on the scan tool data list. But I think you'd need a professional level/Hyundai specific tool to see both. I don't think a generic OBD2 tool will show them both.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I will double check the voltages; however, I did replace the brake light switch because it was low cost, so it would mean failure of new part (which can certainly happen). Also have ensured adjustment on brake light is correct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I have similar issue. Though I have not found a permanent solution to fix the problem, I found one that works. After turning on your cruise control, if it does not set, press the "cancel" switch and then try setting it up again. It works for me. For some reason sometimes, I can't set up the speed. So I cancel and press set button and it works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@shoebnaif Thanks for the tip. I have tried "cancel" first and then "set" but doesn't work for me.

@AUTOSPARK Thank you. I appreciate the tip on the voltages. I have double checked them at the brake light switch and at the ECU. They are correct - brake lights wiring is 0 volts when pedal not pressed and battery voltage when pedal pressed; brake test wiring is battery voltage when pedal not pressed and 0 volts when pedal pressed. Cruise power and ground at ECU tests good. Can't test cruise signal at ECU since needs to be at minimum speed for "set" and pretty sure I'd need a scope anyway to see signal. Any other ideas or I need Hyundai specific scan tool at this point?

I found the schematics in this post to be very close for my car. Only noted one small anomaly.

Backprobing on these cars sure is a PITA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts