Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently discovered that the cruise control on my 2019 Iload increases fuel consumption when being used. The dealer has checked and all the vans they have tested are doing the same.
Surely in this day and age Hyundai can make a cruise control work properly ?
Whenever i set the cruise control the torque converter unlocks and increases the engine revs from 200 to 500 more revs.
My new Iload gets worse economy than the old 2012 model that i traded in, i should have kept the aftermarket cruise control i had installed on it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Cruise control exists to maintain an exact speed, or as exact as it can be within a 1-2mph variance. This means any slight decrease in speed results in additional acceleration to get it back to where you wanted it to stay. Most drivers who are fuel efficient minded, allow the vehicle to slow down a bit more than 1-2mpon hills and then do more coasting when going down hills. Cruise control isn't this smart, it is not programmed to hold the speed you want but then let it slip a bit low to save gas and then let it slip a bit high to get more momentum down a hill. This is not a Hyundai thing, but the nature of cruise control. What you want is you driving without having to actually drive. Get an advanced auto-pilot type system and program it to drive how you like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cruise control exists to maintain an exact speed, or as exact as it can be within a 1-2mph variance. This means any slight decrease in speed results in additional acceleration to get it back to where you wanted it to stay. Most drivers who are fuel efficient minded, allow the vehicle to slow down a bit more than 1-2mpon hills and then do more coasting when going down hills. Cruise control isn't this smart, it is not programmed to hold the speed you want but then let it slip a bit low to save gas and then let it slip a bit high to get more momentum down a hill. This is not a Hyundai thing, but the nature of cruise control. What you want is you driving without having to actually drive. Get an advanced auto-pilot type system and program it to drive how you like.
Thank you for your thoughts,
I have used cruise controls for 30+ years, i have never had a cruise control that operates like this one. The dealership service manager was skeptical but after driving admits the cruise is faulty and has tried to fob me off. The service manager has driven four other vans and reports all the vans are doing the same problem of increasing the revs of the engine when the cruise is set. I don't even have to move the throttle at all , and if i cancel the the cruise without moving my foot the revs drop down immediately.
The dealer has checked the software in the vehicle and was going to see if any software updates were likely in the near future.
I assume the cruise control logic has been made to suit a reactive type of cruise control with over speed slow down feature like my wife's I30 has, but the van doesn't have this feature.

I just have the increase fuel feature ?

Please check your vans and cars to see if your cruise works correctly

Ian

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
That does seem odd. I do know that as soon as you turn off cruise control the throttle releases....because nothing is trying to keep the car accelerating anymore and that is the same with every car I have owned. Also, when you set the cruise control during any period of deceleration, they throttle will increase because it needs to in order to maintain the speed at which you pressed the button and stop the deceleration. However, if you are seeing revs increase without speed increasing, that is odd. Basic mechanics would tell you that if the engine revs increase, that is more power to the transmission which would result in increased speed assuming no changes to drag(wind) or incline in the road.

I have not experienced what you are saying, but have experienced issues like you describe but are explained by other outside factors (hills, wind, setting during deceleration etc.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts