Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I finally decided to have a look at my wife's truck and try to get to fixing the cruise control. The thing has never worked since we got her. I did some research here in the forums and a lot of folks say the switch is a known issue. I also wanted to get to the bottom of why her horn works intermittently.

Took apart the steering wheel to have a look at the horn. Took off the single spade clip from the airbag unit and touched it to ground: horn worked. I figured it might be a contact issue so I cleaned all four contact points on the airbag cage and slightly squeezed the spade clip to make a tighter fit. Put it back together and it worked! Or so I thought.

Then I took the cruise switch off to have a look at the pcb. Placed it on the bench and disassembled it. I tested the switch with my multi and it does, in fact, work. I get a momentary closed circuit when I press the on/off button and I get a closed circuit when I press the cancel button. So, it's not the switch. I put it back in (two screws on the side is all) and now the horn doesn't work again.

I'm like what the deuce? I just had it working. So I take the airbag off again and disconnect the spade and touch it to ground. The horn did not work. I put it back together in defeat and cus the damned thing. An hour later I go for a drive and the horn works again. I get home and just for kicks and giggles I try the horn one more time and nothing. It doesn't work.

I'm at wits end here. I'd like to get this horn issue fixed for safety reasons. I'd also like to get the cruise control working. Is it possible the squib is at fault? I'm at a lost here and scratching my head as this is just strange. All fuses have been checked at least thirty seven times. Nothing is out of the ordinary and I do not have LEDs. Everything is OEM.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a similar problem but the only difference is that my horn and cruise are completely dead and the air bag light is on. Chances are that it is a bad clock spring and I ordered a replacement. I am planning on installing it in the next couple of weeks. I will let you know if it fixes my problem.
I had the same exact problem as yours on an 1988 Chrysler where the horn would work intermittently. Replacing the clock spring fixed the issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm leaning in this direction too. The only thing that is trivial is I do not get an air bag light. So I'm not 100% sure this is the problem.

How much does this thing cost and where did you get it? I hope it's not a dealer only item.

·
Registered
17,570 Posts
Dealer only part.. SRS part.. Safety item.

Clock Spring cable / Spiral cable is just a mile long ribbon with strands of wire in it to carry current from fixed column to rotating steering wheel controls.. very well possible the ribbon has open circuit in 1 position, and turning steering wheel/cable opens/closes circuit... most of time it shows up as a high resistance code for 1st or 2nd stage of DAB module.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fully understand what the clock spring is/does. We use the same concept in propeller shafts on turboprops, albeit probably less tolerance.

But with the tolerance in mind, I can hold down the horn and rotate the wheel its full left to right travel and it will not sound. I can also be sitting in my driveway, turn the car off and come back in ten minutes and the horn works.

Strange, very strange.

SBR: Any guidance here would be much appreciated. Even if it's a dead end, I'm not sure what could be the problem. Forget the cruise, I need the horn working.

·
Registered
845 Posts
In answer, horn and cruise control are in no way related. So treat them seperately.
The horn being the main issue for now. It has a fuse 10A and a relay, in the engine bay fusebox.
So check the fuse, then the horn function by removing the relay and bypass it's contacts (not the inputs) with a little wire. If the horn sounds the relay might be an issue or it's control voltages, battery voltage and voltage or ground from the horn button.
So then check with a voltmeter if voltage and a ground arrive at the socket relay inputs, where normally it's coil is located.
Should be battery voltage and ground. I did not find a specific schematic, but I suppose you have a constant battery voltage and a switched ground from the horn button, but it could be the other way around. You might even hook up a little lightbulb to those input voltage contacts to see if it lights when button is pressed.
Certainly the battery voltage will arrive via the 10Amp fuse.
You must be able to see where the error is, being no battery voltage or no button signal. If no button signal arives it could be those spring wires, as mentioned in the other posts. If no battery voltage arrives check wiring to the 10A fuse, also the battery side. You could even jump the fuse by a wire directly to the battery.
If the relay itself is suspected, you could temporarily interchange it with another relay with the same colour, being identical to see it cures the error.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
393 Posts
I finally replaced the clock spring. Horn and cruise are now working and air bag light is off. If only some of these symptoms are occurring it can still be the clock spring since there are multiple wires that can go bad and each of these systems function through it. Same thing with intermittent functioning of the horn.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally replaced the clock spring. Horn and cruise are now working and air bag light is off. If only some of these symptoms are occurring it can still be the clock spring since there are multiple wires that can go bad and each of these systems function through it. Same thing with intermittent functioning of the horn.
Are you saying the clock spring fixed the intermittent functioning of the horn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.